The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cleaning Out A Snorkel

snorkel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kanaka

kanaka

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 22:29

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to snorkels, and so far I really like what they have offered me. I'm wondering about cleaning and flushing, though. It seems like cycling the water out of the sac cleans that, but I read somewhere that it's not good to immerse the front end of the pen. How does one clean the feed? Is there a way that you'd recommend to prepare the pen for a new ink?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 23:47

You are correct in that you should not submerge the section WHEN UTILIZING THE TOUCHDOWN ACTION as it may suck water into the interior of the pen; however, flushing the section under the water stream should be sufficient

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#3 ironwampa

ironwampa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:31

Flushing the sac and the tip of the feed is all that should be necessary. Don't use a snorkel with inks the are known to play badly with other inks though.
Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 15:24

We were just discussing the fun represented by giving a Snorkel a proper cleaning.  I wrote my whole process here, and it's worth looking at the whole thread that's a part of.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 kanaka

kanaka

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 17:21

We were just discussing the fun represented by giving a Snorkel a proper cleaning.  I wrote my whole process here, and it's worth looking at the whole thread that's a part of.

Great, thanks! The process seems pretty laborious, so I'm guessing that it's best to choose an ink and commit the pen to it for a long, long time.

#6 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 17:36

You are correct in that you should not submerge the section WHEN UTILIZING THE TOUCHDOWN ACTION as it may suck water into the interior of the pen; however, flushing the section under the water stream should be sufficient

Yes, and I'd add that you shouldn't hold the pen under the faucet with water running and pump the plunger up and down. That also will draw in water (as I've discovered).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel

Sponsored Content

|