What's Your "next 50 Years Pen"?

krishna

Sorry for the weird sounding topic, but what I am trying to ask is this -- if you have, lets say, $200 and you had to buy one pen that you will use consistently, and you expect it to last 50 years, which one would you buy?

Of the top of my head, I would probably go with a Parker 51 with its stellar record. I can to eBay, get a used P51 for say $100 (in reasonable shape), take it apart, clean it, replace old parts (like the sac / breather tube) and have it working once again. I have done this once to my P51 and it was a breeze! Amazingly simple design, with an intention of being used for a long time. The P51 has my vote!

Another contender is the Lamy 2000. They are built solidly -- but how good are their pistons? Will a piston filler last a long time? Specifically a Lamy?

So what is your "50 year pen"? Which pen would stand the test of time in terms of writing (nib quality), reliability, ease of servicing?

I am really curious, because this ties into a long term goal of mine. Not just living for another 50 years :P, but also embarking on a project that would need extensive writing :)

Give your 100% to everything you do ..... except donating blood.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krishna

• tinkerteacher

• Namo

• Sandy1

Latex is bound to deteriorate over time ... so you would need to factor in regular replacement every ten years or so.

I would go with a Pelikan M800 (for the brass piston) and expect it to write perfectly 50 years from now. The only maintenance you'd need is the occasional lubricating of the piston assembly.

But the price is a bit higher than your spec :/

-k

A Parker 51 aerometric is certainly able to survive that long with just cleaning. I just got a 51. Very nice nib. Less than $100.

"Oh deer."

Pelikan 200/400/600 series -- mostly because there is bound to be replacement parts for it long into the future and it's robust enough to be used daily.

Barring that, I'll get a Japanese C/C and convert it into a desk pen -- since there are less moving parts, if anything breaks it'll most likely be the converter and I'll just put a new one in.

Although I admit that I peg the life of a fountain pen at 20-25 years of hard use, and not at the 50 years that you mentioned. Assuming you're refilling twice a day, that's at least 80 thousand times that you're wearing the threads, and given the very low tolerances available on a fountain pen I simply can't see the threads lasting that long. On the other hand, if you're really using a pen that often a Parker 61 capillary action

Coming to think about it, a crescent filling desk pen would be really good for you considering that it's one moving part with a comparatively high tolerance

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

Parker '51' Aero for me too! Many have already made it 60+ years and are still going strong-even with the original Pli-glass sac!

Octatonic

Hi,

Interesting question!

I would look for a pen that would actually improve with age, which leads me to suggest a pen with a Sterling silver cap and barrel - I really like the patina of well-used Sterling.

Likely a c/c pen, so the moving parts of the fill system could be replaced as needs be.

Within your cost constraint, I'd suggest a Parker 75, which had a decades-long production run, so it is a popular time-tested design with high build quality. NOS 75s and nibs can still be found. The nibs are available apart from the section, which makes nib replacement slightly more economical, though all the 75 nibs are gold alloy, so no low-cost steel nibs.

Also a Sheaffer Targa, another c/c pen available in Sterling with an impressive pedigree and excellent reputation. Though the inlaid nibs are not available apart from the section, there are inexpensive steel nibs readily available. It seems that there are a fair number of Targa collectors, so some models command a premium.

I also thought about no-moving-parts pens: a BCHR eyedropper, such as a Waterman 12 (OooLaLa), or even a Parker 61 with a capillary filler, but that little darling poses a maintenance challenge when paired with some inks,.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Probably a Franklin-Christoph Model 19. It's a great pen with a lifetime warranty, which would be important, based upon your premise. And yes, I do think they will be around in 50 years to honor the warranty, should it be needed - the children most likely running the company at that time.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Latex is bound to deteriorate over time ... so you would need to factor in regular replacement every ten years or so.

I would go with a Pelikan M800 (for the brass piston) and expect it to write perfectly 50 years from now. The only maintenance you'd need is the occasional lubricating of the piston assembly.

But the price is a bit higher than your spec :/

-k

The price is higher but a great suggestion nonetheless. I see so many old Pelikans show up on the Classifieds. Shows that some pens were built to last!

A Parker 51 aerometric is certainly able to survive that long with just cleaning. I just got a 51. Very nice nib. Less than $100.

I can't agree more! I have my eye on a very well maintained 1950s P51 as we speak :D

Probably a Franklin-Christoph Model 19. It's a great pen with a lifetime warranty, which would be important, based upon your premise. And yes, I do think they will be around in 50 years to honor the warranty, should it be needed - the children most likely running the company at that time.

Brilliant --- I didn't even think of them! :doh: -- the Model 19 has such a classic look. Backed with a lifetime guarantee, thats a keeper -- I concur with your suggestion. So, for the budget, you have the Parker 51 and Franklin Christoph -- I bet there are more to come!

I would buy 60 Platinum Preppies.

That's what you call out of the box thinking :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: ... and not a bad company!

Pelikan 200/400/600 series -- mostly because there is bound to be replacement parts for it long into the future and it's robust enough to be used daily.

Barring that, I'll get a Japanese C/C and convert it into a desk pen -- since there are less moving parts, if anything breaks it'll most likely be the converter and I'll just put a new one in.

Although I admit that I peg the life of a fountain pen at 20-25 years of hard use, and not at the 50 years that you mentioned. Assuming you're refilling twice a day, that's at least 80 thousand times that you're wearing the threads, and given the very low tolerances available on a fountain pen I simply can't see the threads lasting that long. On the other hand, if you're really using a pen that often a Parker 61 capillary action

Coming to think about it, a crescent filling desk pen would be really good for you considering that it's one moving part with a comparatively high tolerance

I can see the Pelikan 200 fitting in the budget I mentioned, but not the 400/600/etc. I do agree that they are good pens, but the reliability and self-serviceability of a piston filler has me a little worried. It might just be me though.

OTOH, I like your analysis of the lifespan. 50 years is just a number, but I like the way you took the number of times the threads get turned and brought it down 25 years :) .. I might just look at getting a very good desk pen a couple of decades from now ;)

Graf von Faber Castell Classic Pernambuco.

C/C, nice nib and I love Pernambuco, ages beautiful.

I admit that I know nothing about this pen, but it looks expensive even in online retailers. I should do more research on it!

Hi,

Interesting question!

I would look for a pen that would actually improve with age, which leads me to suggest a pen with a Sterling silver cap and barrel - I really like the patina of well-used Sterling.

Likely a c/c pen, so the moving parts of the fill system could be replaced as needs be.

Within your cost constraint, I'd suggest a Parker 75, which had a decades-long production run, so it is a popular time-tested design with high build quality. NOS 75s and nibs can still be found. The nibs are available apart from the section, which makes nib replacement slightly more economical, though all the 75 nibs are gold alloy, so no low-cost steel nibs.

Also a Sheaffer Targa, another c/c pen available in Sterling with an impressive pedigree and excellent reputation. Though the inlaid nibs are not available apart from the section, there are inexpensive steel nibs readily available. It seems that there are a fair number of Targa collectors, so some models command a premium.

I also thought about no-moving-parts pens: a BCHR eyedropper, such as a Waterman 12 (OooLaLa), or even a Parker 61 with a capillary filler, but that little darling poses a maintenance challenge when paired with some inks,.

Bye,

S1

Thanks S1. Thats a neat suggestion -- hadn't thought of it. Parker 75 NOS can still be found and I can stock up on a couple of vital spare parts making it a good investment (unless I lose the pen itself :yikes: )

I am little scared of the Targa, only because of the inlaid nib and some of them can be nails (like the Sheaffer 330 that I once owned). But, that's not one of my criteria. I don't remember the name, but was it the Admiral that had the traditional open nib?

Eyedropper actually make total sense. You know, thinking about it --- I could get my own eyedropper made. Do you know if I could get one within $200. Choose a long-lasting black resin, a good feed, a nice 14KT nib, and that would it right? Any clues, if I can actually get this done in the $200 budget?

Faber Castell e- motion. It is a cartridge/ converter so no worries on internal moving parts. Smooth steel nib and great looking pen.

Thanks S1. Thats a neat suggestion -- hadn't thought of it. Parker 75 NOS can still be found and I can stock up on a couple of vital spare parts making it a good investment (unless I lose the pen itself :yikes: )

I am little scared of the Targa, only because of the inlaid nib and some of them can be nails (like the Sheaffer 330 that I once owned). But, that's not one of my criteria. I don't remember the name, but was it the Admiral that had the traditional open nib?

Eyedropper actually make total sense. You know, thinking about it --- I could get my own eyedropper made. Do you know if I could get one within $200. Choose a long-lasting black resin, a good feed, a nice 14KT nib, and that would it right? Any clues, if I can actually get this done in the $200 budget?

Hi,

You're welcome!

Pity you didn't care for the Sheaffer 330. :( It's actually one of my favourite casual carry pens.

Ah, if you want to go for an eyedropper, I'd suggest ebonite rather than plastic - some plastics aren't a good match for long-term direct contact with some inks. e.g. Low pH inks have been known to attack organic resins, such as celluloid.

I'm aware of only one stateside Vendor who pairs [vintage] gold nibs with new production ebonite pens - FPN Member Teri at Peyton Street Pens. Here's a quick google of their eyedroppers: http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=eyedropper

I would not be surprised if Teri could be inveigled to conjure a bespoke ebonite eyedropper - but then you'll only have two wishes left for the next 50 years. B)

Bye,

S1

P.S. The Sheaffer Admiral has an open nib, but as both the Touchdown and Snorkel versions are sac-based fillers, eventually the sac would need replacing - taking the pen from your warm grasp for a while - so I'd not suggest a sac filler as a '50 years' pen. ... S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

How about the Parker 45. You could buy 3 or 4 in different colours and materials (plastic, steel, etc) for the price and swap parts around as they wear, if at all they wear.