Is Hakase All That It Is Cracked Up To Be?

vam272

Is it the best? Does it outclass Nakaya, or Danitrio?

I have a Hakase rosewood on order, but it is months away from delivery. I have never bought a Danitrio, but I have several Nakayas that I've been pleased with.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vam272

• rutherfordr

• Algester

• RayJ

Hakase uses Pilot nibs (and, converters), so by that measure, they're as good as Pilot pens.

On the other hand, they're adjsuted specifically for your personal writing style, so by that measure they're the best pen for you.

On the third hand, they're handmade, so each one is unique.

IMO "best" is entirely too relative to be meaningful.

Scientia potentia est.

Thanks. Of course you are right about the "best". I am eager to hold one of these works of art in my hands.

Well it still all matter to your taste do you like x brand as far as thats concerned we have Sailor and Taccia (some of Taccia japan pens has Sailor supplied nib assemblies), Pilot and Hakase (you can also give him some sailor nibs to work with as I saw from his products lists), Platinum and Nakaya if you like them all then yes you will like the upper scale offerings

And each of them are hand made as well so each is unique of course not the nibs as they are outsourced

Edited by Algester

Well, pens are to a certain extent personal. I like them a lot; there's something about the material and the balance. They also write very very well.

Thanks. Of course you are right about the "best". I am eager to hold one of these works of art in my hands.

Completely understandable!

If I ever make it to Japan, Hakase is on my list of shps that I really must visit!

Scientia potentia est.

I like my Hakase and I use it everyday. The only flaw I see in the pen is that the inner cap does not give an air-tight seal over the nib, but then again few of my pens have that feature except the Sailor KOP. Or if I were to buy a Platinum pen with the slip-and-seal mechanism.

I'm going to be the odd-man out here, but these pens do absolutely nothing for me visually. Some of the green celluloid ones look alright, but the mix & match look of some look really bad to me.

Just my 2 cents though, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

I love my Hakases, and forced to save a single pen from a burning house, it would be one of them...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Nice to bring the Hakase lovers out from the shadows. We don't hear enough about Hakase here.

I just received my Hakase New Green celluloid last month. The most 'economic' one of the Hakase line.

This fountain pen is really amazing. The writing with the "F" nib is as smooth as silk.

The pen itself: the photo's on the Hakase site, do not do justice to what they are in real life. The real ones are so much better looking.

The feel of the pen is so super soft and smooth, perfectly balanced and a true joy to hold.

I'm very thrilled with this pen.

Now that I know how great they are, I just have to have a Black Water Buffalo Horn.

I just received my Hakase New Green celluloid last month. The most 'economic' one of the Hakase line.

This fountain pen is really amazing. The writing with the "F" nib is as smooth as silk.

The pen itself: the photo's on the Hakase site, do not do justice to what they are in real life. The real ones are so much better looking.

The feel of the pen is so super soft and smooth, perfectly balanced and a true joy to hold.

I'm very thrilled with this pen.

Now that I know how great they are, I just have to have a Black Water Buffalo Horn.

Enjoy your (first) Hakase in good health! Any chance of writing a review? I don't think there's a celluloid Hakase in the index...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Hi Mongrelnomad,

I shall write a review on my Hakase. As I'm traveling a lot until mid of May (Beijing, New York, Rome, Milan, Oslo etc etc), it has to wait a bit before posting.

In the mean time, the Hakase travels with me and I can get some experience with it.

So far, the Hakase does not seem to have problems with the air pressure in the air planes, no leaking of ink. But my other FP's like the Ohasido, Faggionato, Nakaya's and Platinum do not leak either. All have converters.

I also try to get some pictures in. (still do not know how to do this)

Hi Mongrelnomad,

I shall write a review on my Hakase. As I'm traveling a lot until mid of May (Beijing, New York, Rome, Milan, Oslo etc etc), it has to wait a bit before posting.

In the mean time, the Hakase travels with me and I can get some experience with it.

So far, the Hakase does not seem to have problems with the air pressure in the air planes, no leaking of ink. But my other FP's like the Ohasido, Faggionato, Nakaya's and Platinum do not leak either. All have converters.

Sounds like you have quite a few high-end pens. Photos and descriptions would be appreciated. I understand your time limitations, but we're patient folks—unless we have some special pen or ink coming.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Hi Mongrelnomad,

Brahe, yet further encouragement from me to write a review, when you have the time :)

A review of the celluloid Hakase would be lovely when you have the time! And a review of the Faggionato too, if you haven't already. The Kingsize Petrarque model comes in some gorgeous urushi finishes. I've seen very few reviews of Faggionato though.

all these comments are making me extremely jealous. i have YET to own a single Hakase :crybaby:

-rudy-

• 7 months later...

I have an ebonite Hakase on order that is supposed to be delivered in April 2016. The wait is excruciating. But all these reviews are helping pass the time and are reassuring me that I will end up with a truly unique writing instrument that I can treasure for my lifetime. I may have to get another since I have two sons and would love to see both inherit a Hakase :).

Who says it is 'cracked up' to be anything?

Would you understand and appreciate the difference in a $250 and $1500 pen?

Really. Really. Really.

IMHO 95% of the people on this page cannot.

Does the name or price make the nib feel THAT different?

Maybe the extra money to use the same converter system?

Ahhhh! It must be hand made. Can you tell the difference???

My point. Buy a pen you are happy with (pen can be as pretty as you wish) and can write well.

All the other stuff is (bleep).

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

It's just another pilot #15 nib tuned according to your writing style. You can buy an 823/743/845 and pay a nibmeister to do that.

Speaking for myself, I find $1000 a bit too much to pay for a Pilot #15 nib pen. So nope, definitely not something I would buy. At least use a #20 nib,