• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• Fountain-head

• stevesurf

• DrRoger

What's the price? How do you buy it?

This would be very nice for a trip I have soon :B

Sorry, I forgot that you have to sign up at Gustin to see the prices. It is $149. They run like kickstarter. You commit to buy and if enough people commit to buy the item gets made. No charge if it isn't fully backed. And before I start to sound like a commercial for Gustin, I haven't backed it yet. I'm waiting for this group to pick it apart before I commit.

That is quite the deal for its quality. The choice of Khaki, trim, brass fittings and quality YKK zippers make this a no-brainer if you're just carrying books, files and pens. If you add a laptop or a camera with lens, you'll need a padded pouch(es). If you want to carry more than several pens, you'll need a pen case and make sure any books or whatever doesn't squash it. The use of water resistant khaki is wonderful, though.

I carry a pretty pricey bag in the Billingham, but it includes all the padding and pockets I need:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81xLtHyxwGL._SL1500_.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Sorry, I forgot that you have to sign up at Gustin to see the prices. It is $149. They run like kickstarter. You commit to buy and if enough people commit to buy the item gets made. No charge if it isn't fully backed. And before I start to sound like a commercial for Gustin, I haven't backed it yet. I'm waiting for this group to pick it apart before I commit.

That sounds cool, I might sign up and search the site for some goods :B

Caveat I'm no expert but what do folks think about the join between shoulder strap and case? no critique intended, just asking as a potential purchaser. R

Looks like a Filson knock off to me.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1nwsxiW0b1rn26m2o1_500.jpg

Filson makes all of their bags in Seattle and they are guaranteed for life. They can repair holes and rips and so on. The only drawback is that the fabric makes their bags quite heavy.

There are much cheaper versions of the Filson bags that don't have that much amount of leather that run just over a hundred. The briefcase is quite expensive at about $300-400.

Looks like a Filson knock off to me.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1nwsxiW0b1rn26m2o1_500.jpg

Filson makes all of their bags in Seattle and they are guaranteed for life. They can repair holes and rips and so on. The only drawback is that the fabric makes their bags quite heavy.

You beat me to it :)

It's h-u-g-e!

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 4 months later...

Interesting. Can not even find any Gustin Briefcases or Gustin Bags from Amazon.com.

Interesting. Can not even find any Gustin Briefcases or Gustin Bags from Amazon.com.

They only sell from their website.

You can find some reviews on this bag on Styleforum.net. I have purchased a few items from gustin in the past and overall I'm not that impressed. Echoing the comments of others, this is poorer quality version of the Filson 256. You would be much better off spending your money on it. While they are $265 retail, you can find them for sale at various places quite often (Brooks Brothers for example) or used on eBay. Filson has a pretty amazing guarantee on their products as well. Bottom line: Get the Filson.