The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Stain Removal Advice From 1909

ink stain removal historic laundry cleaning advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 carroll

carroll

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2015 - 19:10

Just some helpful advice on dealing with ink stains from a 1909 Household hints book I found.

Attached Images

• little helps book ink stains 1.jpg
  • little helps book ink stains 2.jpg
  • little helps book small file.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:13

BOILING??? That's the trick?  I may try that.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#3 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:34

Both solutions would be for iron-gall inks, as the active ingredient of those inks is a special form of rust.

Now all we need is someone to donate a piece of white clothing for testing with some Registrar's Ink.

And BTW, where do you get oxalic acid from these days?

Also lemon juice and a few hours of sunlight  keep on coming up on the Internet as rust stain removers from clothes.

And does anybody remember Rustiban? It was a solution of 8 ~ 10% Hydrofluoric acid that instantly dissolved rust stains without putting holes in your clothes.

And don't forget for non-iron-gall inks that mild ammonia solutions (like window cleaner) can remove a lot of ink stains.

And there's bleach.

However, for cellulose-reactive inks (Noodler's Bulletproof and Private Reserve Invincible) there is no solution once it has dried.

Edited by dcwaites, 21 March 2015 - 04:35.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#4 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:10

Oxalic acid is available on U.S. Amazon (of course).    Chemical supply companies like Carolina Biological Supply and Flinn Scientific.  Apparently it's used in a lot of wood bleaches.

On Monday, I'll root around in the supply room where I teach.  If there's oxalic acid, I'll sacrifice some white fabric and see how it works.   I'll try it on some colored fabric, too, just for giggles.

Edited by ScienceChick, 21 March 2015 - 05:11.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#5 tinkerteacher

tinkerteacher

Factotum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:38

Sciencechick, if you have access to a school supply closet (lucky you), grab some "Whiteboard Cleaner". Wonderful stuff for removing fountain pen ink stains from clothes and all sorts of surfaces.

Edited by tinkerteacher, 21 March 2015 - 08:39.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

#6 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,978 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:44

I knew my agateware basin would come in handy eventually.

James

#7 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 16:58

I love these old ones! Thanks for sharing.

This would be iron gall ink and the first recipe is similar to http://iron-gallink....-ink-using.html

Edited by cybaea, 22 March 2015 - 16:59.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

#8 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:35

Sciencechick, if you have access to a school supply closet (lucky you), grab some "Whiteboard Cleaner". Wonderful stuff for removing fountain pen ink stains from clothes and all sorts of surfaces.

I have whiteboard cleaner in my classroom so thanks for that tip! 

I have keys to the chemical supply room and have ingratiated myself with woman who holds the keys to the school supply closet.  Life is good  :)

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#9 tinkerteacher

tinkerteacher

Factotum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:49

I have whiteboard cleaner in my classroom so thanks for that tip! 

I have keys to the chemical supply room and have ingratiated myself with woman who holds the keys to the school supply closet.  Life is good  :)

Yes, that's what I tell the newbie teachers when I run training workshops.

They're two people you should never ever get on the bad side of, the person setting the schedules and the women (why is it always a woman?) with the keys to the supply closet.

Find out what her favorite kind cookies/pastry/etc is and your academic year will go very smooth indeed.

Edited by tinkerteacher, 23 March 2015 - 18:55.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

#10 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:30

Oxalic acid is found in hardware stores. I personally would not use it on anything except rust stains on white linen or white cotton, and I would try almost anything else first (do not ever use chlorine bleach on linen, however). It is a powerful bleaching agent.

Pouring boiling water from a height over stretched cloth to remove stains -- all kinds of stains -- is still recommended. But only for white and colorfast linen. Not cotton and certainly not anything synthetic or rayon. 

#11 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,521 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 14:33

Oxalic acid is in Bar Keepers Friend, an excellent cleanser even if it is missing an essential apostrophe.  Might be worth a shot.  I doubt it's particularly good for clothes, but I've had minor splashes and the like when doing the dishes without seeing any bleaching of my clothes.

#12 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2015 - 15:14

In my short pants days, when pens blobbed & leaked at will, lemon or vinegar was the first line of attack on ink stains. 

Living in post WW II Stalinist Europe did not give us too many cleaning product options, however vinegar at least was readily available & it did the trick. 

I dropped my school pen on our Persian rug (could not sit down for a week,...now considered child abuse), but vinegar then caustic laundry soap,  made the long stain almost invisible.

Edited by tinta, 25 March 2015 - 15:15.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#13 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• 2,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:14

I haven't forgotten this.  There was no oxalic acid in the chem supply room so I ordered some; it arrived this past weekend and I hope to try it out this coming weekend.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, stain, removal, historic, laundry, cleaning, advice

Sponsored Content

|