The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lathe Recommendation?

lathe repair pens

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 18:24

Daniel will tell you that it's worth polishing the guides and gibs before you start to use the lathe.  Do it when you clean the shipping grease off. 

Is this in the same class as a South Bend?  No.  But take reasonable care of the lathe, and I think it will serve you well.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

#42 rtrinkner

rtrinkner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 20:20

Hi folks,

I found a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight at http://www.retailmen...t.com?c=6855548.  It drops the price of their 7x12 lathe from $599 to $479.

Richard

#43 Jamesbeat

Jamesbeat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 21:08

Harbor freight always has a 20% coupon if you look hard enough.

I used one when I bought my 7x12.
Shipping was an astonishingly cheap $9 to my address in NY, and it took just over a week to arrive.

#44 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 21:23

Hi folks,

I found a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight at http://www.retailmen...t.com?c=6855548.  It drops the price of their 7x12 lathe from $599 to $479.

Richard

Even better, the current flier has it on sale for $510, which means that with the 20% off coupon it's down to about $408, plus tax of course.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

#45 rtrinkner

rtrinkner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2015 - 21:36

Even better, the current flier has it on sale for $510, which means that with the 20% off coupon it's down to about $408, plus tax of course.

Cool!  I haven't clicked "buy" yet. I looked on the HF web site but didn't see the lathe in their red tag sale.  Does the flier have a discount code I could use online?  Or is it only available for in-store purchases?

Their 7x10 lathe is on sale for $509.99. Is that the one you meant?  I was thinking that the 7x12 model would be more versatile.

Richard

Edited by rtrinkner, 30 April 2015 - 21:47.

#46 TREBFPN

TREBFPN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:29

Hi.  The coupon code is 28049963 and you can view the ad on this link - it is good through May 2015,   http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17547.html 

#47 Joe Penmanship

Joe Penmanship

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:11

I've always been a bit wary of Harbor Freight machines. I have never owned a piece of machinery from them, but I've read quite a bit on the woodworking sites about shoddy workmanship in their "precision" tools.

I love HF for their hand tools - wrenches, carts and wheel sets and such. Stuff that isn't expensive and is sufficient to the task. But caveat empor on the big stuff.

I own a Jet lathe, which I adore. You can't go wrong. I'd also suggest looking into the Nova lathes. Woodcraft has a sale on one as of this writing. Granted, it's in the $1000 range. But if you can swing it, go big and get the quality.

JP

#48 GAtkins

GAtkins

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:40

Cool!  I haven't clicked "buy" yet. I looked on the HF web site but didn't see the lathe in their red tag sale.  Does the flier have a discount code I could use online?  Or is it only available for in-store purchases?

Their 7x10 lathe is on sale for $509.99. Is that the one you meant?  I was thinking that the 7x12 model would be more versatile.

Richard

From what I have read, the 10 is actually an 8 and the 12 is really a 12.  Get the 12.

Glenn

#49 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:44

I've always been a bit wary of Harbor Freight machines. I have never owned a piece of machinery from them, but I've read quite a bit on the woodworking sites about shoddy workmanship in their "precision" tools.

I love HF for their hand tools - wrenches, carts and wheel sets and such. Stuff that isn't expensive and is sufficient to the task. But caveat empor on the big stuff.

I own a Jet lathe, which I adore. You can't go wrong. I'd also suggest looking into the Nova lathes. Woodcraft has a sale on one as of this writing. Granted, it's in the $1000 range. But if you can swing it, go big and get the quality.

JP

Note that the machines being discussed here are engine lathes, aka metalworking lathes, not wood lathes as are the Jet and Woodcraft machines you mention. The Harbor Freight machines, and the similar items from other sources, are perfectly good when properly set up and handled, and they are outstanding values.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#50 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:45

From what I have read, the 10 is actually an 8 and the 12 is really a 12.  Get the 12.

Glenn

I agree. Once you get a drill chuck into the tailstock, things can get very, very tight on the shorter machine.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#51 lcoldfield

lcoldfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 20:49

I agree that it is not good to bolt down. I have two lathes - the small Chinese one rests on a wooden bench and the larger (Myford ML7) is on a cabinet that itself is on rubber castors.

Laurence

#52 Jamesbeat

Jamesbeat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:26

Note that the machines being discussed here are engine lathes, aka metalworking lathes, not wood lathes as are the Jet and Woodcraft machines you mention. The Harbor Freight machines, and the similar items from other sources, are perfectly good when properly set up and handled, and they are outstanding values.

--Daniel

Agreed.
Search around on the internet and you'll find lots of naysayers who don't actually own a HF lathe, but feel qualified to give an opinion of them anyway.
You will also find many, many happy people who actually own one.

I also agree on the 7x10 (actually 7x8) one being a false economy. Spend the extra $50 for the 7x12 and wait patiently for it to be delivered.

One of my other hobbies is building cannons. Even on my 7x12, I find myself running out of room fast, especially during drilling operations.

Edited by Jamesbeat, 06 May 2015 - 03:27.

#53 TREBFPN

TREBFPN

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2015 - 16:00

:)

Harbor Freight is giving 25% off this Sunday Only with coupon code:  10408701

+ Ebates gives 3% cash back at Harbor Freight:  http://www.ebates.co...Tg==&eeid=28187

Here is the 7 x 12 lathe:  http://www.harborfre...athe-93799.html

Edited by TREBFPN, 09 May 2015 - 16:02.

#54 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 17:36

Little Machine shop sells a bed extension kit that lets you turn your 7X10 into a 7X16.  Tempting.   I've thought about doing an  upgrade, but I'm too busy doing repairs.

The other thing that they sell is a tailstock conversion kit that turns it into a cam lock tailstock.  That's worth doing.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lathe, repair, pens

Sponsored Content

|