Montblanc Edgar Allen Poe

Allan

i just checked on ebay for the pricing (poe is my favorite writer, the biggest book that i have is full of his stories and poems) and wow, that costs a pretty penny and more! but still, i sold my atv a few months ago and still have 2800 left from it. (young kid here trying to resist, but its not working!!!!!)

All Montblanc limited editions cost a bomb. They are more like investments than pens.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• SamCapote

• kushbaby

• ayoub1443

I have 2 E.A. Poe. new, never inked.... it's a sort of respect...

I'm completely fool? I must choose one and ink it....

The other one.... I don't know....

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

If one is a B nib, ink the other and send the B nib to me. :bunny01:

Yes, sure. :roflmho:

They are both M nib... sorry.

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

Enjoy. This is what life is all about. Use the good china, drink out of the crystal and write with the fine pens - you're worth it! :cloud9:

I agree wholeheartedly.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• 4 months later...

Ghost Plane, why do you look for the Broad nibs? Just trying to learn what it offers, since I don't have any pens with a B.

Thanks

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Allen, thank you for a great review and some stunning pictures. That is a great looking pen, enjoy!

GP, cheers to you and your great view on life!

B and BB nibs are lusciously wet and make for speedy writing during my all day marathons long hand. I'm not going for style, I'm going for endurance. They just happen to make my writing look good, in addition to saving me from pain during long sessions.

I'm particularly partial to the MB stubbed Bs and the Conway Stewart IBs as they're particularly fast, smooth writers. If I can ever afford another Krone [where are all the sales these days?!], I'll get more of their stubs as they're floaty, too.

In the ball nib department, the YoL nibs are something special, whereas Visconti simply flings down a lot of ink without precision in the line. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but the lines are somehow less precise, while the comfort of the Visconti LEs keeps them in my stable.

B and BB nibs are lusciously wet and make for speedy writing during my all day marathons long hand. I'm not going for style, I'm going for endurance. They just happen to make my writing look good, in addition to saving me from pain during long sessions.

I'm particularly partial to the MB stubbed Bs and the Conway Stewart IBs as they're particularly fast, smooth writers. If I can ever afford another Krone [where are all the sales these days?!], I'll get more of their stubs as they're floaty, too.

In the ball nib department, the YoL nibs are something special, whereas Visconti simply flings down a lot of ink without precision in the line. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but the lines are somehow less precise, while the comfort of the Visconti LEs keeps them in my stable.

Is there a relatively affordable MB or CS example model & store for me to try one?

Ghost Plane, why do you look for the Broad nibs? Just trying to learn what it offers, since I don't have any pens with a B.

Thanks

Sam,

Search the MB forum for threads on MB broad nibs. They are a delight, because the factory broads write look smooth stubs with nice line variation, so you don't have to write large, yet still keep all your letters open.

I would try a MB boutique and ask to test a 146. They have tester 146s in all of the nib sizes.

Jeen kind of summed it up. Inexpensive and either of these brands don't exactly go with each other. For CS pens, Bryant is my pusher of choice, tho' I got one Churchill from Swisher's when they had a great sale. For MBs either Fountain Pen Hospital or Pengallery in Malaysia for new ones, here on the board for used.

These are nibs I can write really fast with, yet still get beautiful line definition.

Jeen/GP, thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have a botique near me. I'm in eastern Connecticut, half-way between New York and Boston. If I were to buy one, could you help me find the most affordable one in case it didn't work out ? I just don't know what to look for, or how to ferret out buying one used here (I don't know who are good used sellers, etc.). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Might wanna have a chat with Niksch. He steered me in the right direction when I was looking for my first 146.

I sent him an email referencing this thread.

If I were to look at FP Hospital is there a model I can ask them about that has the broad stub that is not a $$ limited edition? I don't know if these nibs only come with certain models.

It's the standard B nib for MB. They all come slightly stubbed, straight from the factory. But they're handmade, so each one varies slightly. I got one from Multiechelon that's almost an M, it's so narrow, yet still has that lovely stubbing, whereas another pen I have, it's almost a BB. That's why it's luck of the lottery for those of us who can't get to stores in person.

The 146 is usually less than the 149. If they don't have it in stock, they can order. Or check Swisher's next sale they run. They usually honor their sale prices, even if they have to order. Most of the shops will match each other's deals.

If you're aiming for new, I'd wait 'til after Christmas since it's so late in the year. Late January, the sales can get really juicy.

+1 on that. I have a 149 with B nib (modern), and it's definitely a stub, almost like a cursive italic. In fact...

(goes over to desk and pulls out paper and some pens)

OK, yes. The line written with my MB 149 B-nib is *indistinguishable* (variation and size-wise) from that of my Stipula Etruria Ambra with the 0.9 nib (that they call 0.9 italic).

I luuuuvvvssss it!

(And I HAVE to thank Ghost Plane, since I wouldn't have even been looking for one...)

:D

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Thanks for reminding me to kick myself for not buying the Poe when I had the chance. :D

Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2