Any Idea How To Restore The Sanding Of An M1005 Cap Logo?

kaan

That contact form will probably kick over to Chartpak, at least that has been my experience in the past. If that is the case, they'll contact you about the issue and let you know your options. Good luck getting it sorted out to your satisfaction.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaan

• sargetalon

• fplover01

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That contact form will probably kick over to Chartpak, at least that has been my experience in the past. If that is the case, they'll contact you about the issue and let you know your options. Good luck getting it sorted out to your satisfaction.

I didn't get a reply from that form, it has been more than a week, I'm not optimistic after this point

As I mentioned in my OP, I also don't like the local company that is the official distributor of Pelikan, as they caused this issue, and fixed the nib themselves instead of changing it as I requested

Do you have any advice how I can pursue this issue further with Pelikan internationally?

Edited by kaan

Don't buy Pelikans ... Life is too short for a non-perfect Fountain Pen - Pelikan M600 Ruby Red - M1005 Demonstrator - M205 Demonstrator (Blue + Highlighter) - M 200 Demonstrator - Lamy CP1,Al Star's

The M1005 was my flagship pen, it really pains me to see it in that state, I guess if my quest to get a new cap fails, I might just sell everything FP related and move on (by disclosing the issue of course, I'm guessing there might be those that are still interested in the Pen, as the nib is a white gold F in good condition) - but I would rather just solve the issue
Edited by kaan

Don't buy Pelikans ... Life is too short for a non-perfect Fountain Pen - Pelikan M600 Ruby Red - M1005 Demonstrator - M205 Demonstrator (Blue + Highlighter) - M 200 Demonstrator - Lamy CP1,Al Star's

I'm sorry that your issue still persist and that it continues to bother you so greatly. Selling everything FP related sounds a little extreme but ultimately the choice is yours. These pens are made to be used and despite the best of care, blemishes will occur. I understand though the added frustration when the issue occurred at someone else's hand. My advice would be to email Chartpak directly and solicit their advice about how to proceed. If they are not the ones to assist you, hopefully they can direct you to who can. Email penrepair@chartpak.com. Good luck.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

• 1 month later...

Here is what happened, sequentially:

1) I contacted the Pelikan from the webpage

2) Didn't get any replies

3) Contacted Chartpak, they were extremely helpful, they cc'ed someone from Pelikan Germany, she didn't respond to the email

4) Someone from Pelikan Turkey contacted me

5) I explained the issue, with evidence of misconduct from the representative company - each reply from her was delayed by at least a week (so there was 2-3 emails overall)

6) She ignored the facts I provided, claimed there was no issues, she didn't even reply to my last email

I expected them to send me a new cap, as the misconduct from the representative company is enough evidence (me requesting a replacement nib right after I got the pen, them sending the pen manually fixed and damaged) - however that didn't happen, instead they didn't even reply to my emails decently

I paid $1000 to this pen locally, I'm really regretting doing so, going to sell my Pelikan/FP collection to the highest bidder, whatever that bid is

Edited by kaan

I'm sorry that was your experience. I recently bought the same pen, locally as well, and there was a problem with the piston threads and the piston itself. It looked like someone had decided to apply some kind of sealant there and it had bubbles on it and whatnot. I contacted the seller and he contacted Pelikan Turkey and they contacted me and told me to ship the pen back to them so they could have a look at it. They were extremely helpful and acknowledged that there indeed was a problem with the pen body and they found a replacement for me and shipped it the next day with the nib from the first one on my request. I'm sorry you had to go through this but believe me when you get the stuff sorted out, you will be a very happy person.

If you want I could provide you with some contact information specifically for Turkey.

I'm sorry that was your experience. I recently bought the same pen, locally as well, and there was a problem with the piston threads and the piston itself. It looked like someone had decided to apply some kind of sealant there and it had bubbles on it and whatnot. I contacted the seller and he contacted Pelikan Turkey and they contacted me and told me to ship the pen back to them so they could have a look at it. They were extremely helpful and acknowledged that there indeed was a problem with the pen body and they found a replacement for me and shipped it the next day with the nib from the first one on my request. I'm sorry you had to go through this but believe me when you get the stuff sorted out, you will be a very happy person.

If you want I could provide you with some contact information specifically for Turkey.

It's good to see another local and thanks a lot for sharing your experience

It's the same kind of behaviour that angered me 2 years ago, I didn't pursue the issue to not anger myself further, but that didn't work out well, you mentioned that the pen you received could've been tampered with, the pen I sent to the warranty was manually fixed instead of the nib being replaced within the warranty - so the pen you received might have been a pen that someone bought and returned (and maybe manually fixed by the local distributor)

It's something I should've done in the first place, within the time frame that the local laws allow the return of defective items return the pen, it might be why they were so helpful to you, as you could've also returned the pen, got your money back, and buy a new one if you decided to

I was in contact with a Fatma S. from Pelikan Turkey, she is an extremely slow responder and she did absolutely nothing useful in terms of helping me, she claimed she investigated the situation and I didn't send the pen for a defective cap originally, so they couldn't do anything about the cap, but it doesn't make too much sense

It would be great if you could share the contact information if it differs from mine

Also let me know if you would like to purchase some brothers and sisters to your M1005, I'm thinking of selling my humble Pelikan collection below regular market/second-hand prices

I also considered destroying the pens and uploading the video to youtube, but selling them transparently is more logical, that's how frustrated I am

Edited by kaan

I am very sorry that you are facing problems with your pen. I once lost a M200 pen (not as expensive as a M1000, but it was a nice pen) and I still cannot forget about this.

However I do feel you are overreacting. Thinking of destroying several pens or simply "killing" them below market price, just because one of your pens was in some way damaged, is not a reasonable response. The pen could have been damaged in any way, falling off a desk or whatever. Unless you lock it up in a safe, the pen might always get damaged. And even then someone might break in and steal your safe! The point is life has accidents. And one thing with this wonderful hobby, is to have the patience to take care of pens, once something happens. Part of buying and using such an expensive pen, is that it is not disposable (well unless someone is really rich), it will stay with you for a long time and will tell a story. During this time, the pen might get damaged, and you might have to repair it.

If I understand the issue well, you said u sent the pen to the distributor. Have u considered the possibility that the pen was damaged in transport after the distributor returned it back to you? Many companies will document with photos now that digital photography is so easy, what they got from you and what they put in the box after the repair. I do this when I sell stuff on ebay as well. So how can you be sure it is the distributors fault and the damage didnt happen in the mail, esp after so much time has passed.

Best practice in my opinion in this case, is to make a new warranty claim for the cap. Perhaps Pelikan will charge you something to replace it. Or they might even consider that the cap was defective from the start since the coating was so easily damaged and replace it for free. They will probably just replace the top of it, and your pen will be like new. End of story. Alternatively sell the defective cap on ebay to someone who doesnt care about the damage or wants to tinker, and put in some extra cash to buy a new cap.

Edited by fplover01

I am very sorry that you are facing problems with your pen. I once lost a M200 pen (not as expensive as a M1000, but it was a nice pen) and I still cannot forget about this.

However I do feel you are overreacting. Thinking of destroying several pens or simply "killing" them below market price, just because one of your pens was in some way damaged, is not a reasonable response. The pen could have been damaged in any way, falling off a desk or whatever. Unless you lock it up in a safe, the pen might always get damaged. And even then someone might break in and steal your safe! The point is life has accidents. And one thing with this wonderful hobby, is to have the patience to take care of pens, once something happens. Part of buying and using such an expensive pen, is that it is not disposable (well unless someone is really rich), it will stay with you for a long time and will tell a story. During this time, the pen might get damaged, and you might have to repair it.

If I understand the issue well, you said u sent the pen to the distributor. Have u considered the possibility that the pen was damaged in transport after the distributor returned it back to you? Many companies will document with photos now that digital photography is so easy, what they got from you and what they put in the box after the repair. I do this when I sell stuff on ebay as well. So how can you be sure it is the distributors fault and the damage didnt happen in the mail, esp after so much time has passed.

Best practice in my opinion in this case, is to make a new warranty claim for the cap. Perhaps Pelikan will charge you something to replace it. Or they might even consider that the cap was defective from the start since the coating was so easily damaged and replace it for free. They will probably just replace the top of it, and your pen will be like new. End of story. Alternatively sell the defective cap on ebay to someone who doesnt care about the damage or wants to tinker, and put in some extra cash to buy a new cap.

I believe damages and scratches adds character to things, so I gladly welcome them in normal circumstances, whether it's a pen or something else

I sent the pen in it's original box to the distributor, with the assumption that it would be handled with care, get a replacement nib, and get sent back to me, however this was not the case, they seem to have fixed the nib manually (verified at the time with a loupe) - and I can't handle the fact they would do this while I explicitly requested a nib exchange and not anything else, to top these off, the cap was damaged, I initially tried not to care, but I obviously failed at that

So whether it's overreacting or not, it is what it is, I can't handle it

There are various issues with various solutions, one problem is that I don't have too much free time on my hands, that's why I initially dismissed these issues 2 years ago, as at that time, I was more occupied, so I don't really have too much resources to solve the issue manually, it's also not simple to buy new caps, there was one on auction as a fellow user pointed out, from martini auctions, but that seems to be a used and restored cap as well

Pelikan Turkey also didn't provide the option for the pen to be inspected for a guarantee claim, they just dismissed my claim altogether, they don't even reply to emails properly, so the entire attempt seems futile

After a bit of research, I see others that experienced similar issues as I do, it seems logical to conclude that, unless someone buys a pen from US within Chartpak territory (It seems Chartpak ignores pens purchased outside US, as I read from other's experiences), it's futile to expect any kind of decency

I previously fixed an M200 nib myself before, I really wish I did the same with my M1005 too, at least I would be aware of exactly what the pen went through, currently I have no idea how further it was mistreated, for the cap to be bruised that much, I think it might have at least been dropped onto a marble/concrete surface

At this point, selling things and moving on is the simplest solution

You make a lot of wide sweeping statements and condemn a brand based on one experience. I find that hard to take seriously. I can understand being upset and don't begrudge you that. I do believe that there are other, more constructive, ways to go about this though. I think the time to have acted on this was 2 years ago when it first occurred. If you look at it from the distributor's side, it's a bit odd to make claims so many years later. My one question would be, are you currently still within Pelikan's 3 year warranty period from the date of purchase or no? If not, than repair/replacement would be on you and not the company. If that is the case, you can source a new cap here; http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/Pelikan-Souver-n-M1000-Cap.html. I suspect they could order a 1005 cap upon request if they did not have any in stock. Hope you find a conclusion that you can live with. Please don't destroy the pens. You'd be better off giving them away to someone who will appreciate them. Good luck.

I'm within the 3 year warranty, whatever the case is, whether I'm right or wrong, I know that I lost my passion

I created a reddit listing, as I use reddit regularly and it's easy to communicate over reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pen_Swap/comments/3e1xy2/wts_entire_pelikan_collection_m1005_m600_ruby/

I'm hoping to sell my Pelikan collection and move on, maybe the buyer could make a warranty claim if s/he desires to

I would appreciate any selling or pricing advice at this point

If u made a new claim,saying ur cap was damaged and request a repair. I am sure they would repair it. But u wont have luck in making them accept they damaged ur pen two years ago... once I dropped a M200 and damaged the top of the cap. Pen was nowhere near warranty (bought used on the bay, 15 years old). I sent it to hannover, they charged me 10 Euros. And in most countries pelikan has excellent customer service. So why bother with what a (perhaps not so communicative) employee told u on the phone? Dont let it ruin ur day and ur collection!

But i see you have decided to sell and move on... I wish u luck.

Edit: i read ur sales post. I do think your comments are really out of line. pelikan has excellent customer service in Europe too (germany and one other country i have experience with). So your statement about buying unused Pelikans only in the US, is simply not only untrue but unfair and misleading. The fact that you cannot communicate well with a particular person in your regional distributor (which micht be a problem on his side, on yours or both) doesnt mean that pelikan doesnt stand behind their pens. You could even put your pen in a box and ship it directly to Hannover.

Also if you dont own any Montblanc pens, how can you compare their service? Making sweeping conclusions and unfair comparisons is not good.

Edited by fplover01

If u made a new claim,saying ur cap was damaged and request a repair. I am sure they would repair it. But u wont have luck in making them accept they damaged ur pen two years ago... once I dropped a M200 and damaged the top of the cap. Pen was nowhere near warranty (bought used on the bay, 15 years old). I sent it to hannover, they charged me 10 Euros. And in most countries pelikan has excellent customer service. So why bother with what a (perhaps not so communicative) employee told u on the phone? Dont let it ruin ur day and ur collection!

But i see you have decided to sell and move on... I wish u luck.

Edit: i read ur sales post. I do think your comments are really out of line. pelikan has excellent customer service in Europe too (germany and one other country i have experience with). So your statement about buying unused Pelikans only in the US, is simply not only untrue but unfair and misleading. The fact that you cannot communicate well with a particular person in your regional distributor (which micht be a problem on his side, on yours or both) doesnt mean that pelikan doesnt stand behind their pens. You could even put your pen in a box and ship it directly to Hannover.

Also if you dont own any Montblanc pens, how can you compare their service? Making sweeping conclusions and unfair comparisons is not good.

Making a separate claim just for the cap is very logical, thanks a lot for that idea

------

1) I contacted Pelikan Germany through their contact form, waited weeks, didn't get a reply

2) Chartpak directed me to a Pelikan Germany representative, she never replied to the email, but likely, silently prompted a local representative to contact me

3) The local representative contacted me, each email was delayed by almost a week, she clearly stated that they could no nothing about the cap of the pen and didn't reply to my follow up email

To say the least, I expected at least one reply from Pelikan Germany

2 years ago, I hated how Pelikan support was at Turkey, so my intention was to quickly solve this issue at the origin this time, likely send it back for inspection, but that never happened

-----

There is generally an ethics level that each profession upholds, back in the days when Cross pens were praised, my dad had a set of Cross pens/pencils, when he experienced a problem, he would send them for repairs, and they generally just sent a brand new one back, or replace a problematic cap with an identical, I expected this from Pelikan, is it too much to ask? (and in this case, I didn't even cause the issue myself)

I read a lot of experiences related to these kind of issues after experiencing it myself, one of the writers stated Mont Blanc offers similar support, and s/he would likely purchase MB pens if any from now on, It seemed logical to me too, that's where the assumption comes from

Edited by kaan

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you continue to have trouble with your pen.

I think that there are several things going on here, from your description.

First, the fact that Pelikan Germany did not answer your online contact form, is indeed something that should not happen, otherwise why have such form? (Have you checked your junk email? I had this issue with emails from Pelikan Germany).

The fact that, once Chartpak forwarded your claim to Germany, it was Pelikan Turkey that contacted you seems adequate to me, after all that is why Pelikan (and every other brand) maintains local offices. Of course, not knowing what kind of exchange you had with Pelikan Turkey, it is strange that they say that nothing can be done about the cap. Perhaps you should ask to talk with a different person.

In the matter of fixing the cap under warranty, I am sorry to disagree with you, but in my opinion since you waited 2 years to complain you automatically lost the right for such claim. Warranties are for defective products and this cap is damaged and you even used sharp tools on it (which voids warranty). I know that you claim that Pelikan did the damage, but in that case you should have contacted them right away after receiving the damaged/serviced pen: companies have to protect themselves. I had a similar situation with Parker, which pretty much mirrors everything you faced, but I had macro photos of the pen and contacted them the same day I received the pen they damaged during service - even in that case it wasn't easy, but they eventually replaced the pen (the whole thing took almost 4 months).

As for them sending you a new cap for free, like you said Cross used to do, I'm sorry but the way I see it there's no obligation from their part in this case (again, because of the 2 year lapse). It is also unusual that any company will do that (although from time to time they do, including Pelikan - see, for example this thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282227-bought-a-rough-condition-m900-toledo-question-on-converting-it/ for an example of great service from Pelikan). In my experience, more often than not the service provided depends on how you approach the company.

I agree with other people that you cannot generalize based on your experience and say that Pelikan service is bad in general. Also, every brand will have people that like their service and others that dislike, even Montblanc: some people do complain about the fact that they apparently charge a fixed fee to service pens under warranty (this is one thing that has kept me from buying a Montblanc).

It's unfortunate that you have faced these issues and have decided to move on from Pelikan, and I truly wish that you find a solution that is best for you and that will rekindle you love for FPs. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions and insight/analysis

I checked my spam folder, however it spans only ~2 weeks it seems, no pelikan emails there, so I can't be sure whether the original reply was spammed

I have a very low tolerance for issues like these, it was much much lower 2 years ago, so I ignored the issue to keep my morale up, it seems it was a good call :)

When I started this thread, my intention was to find out whether the community could aid me in finding a manual solution, even buying a new cap was an option at that point, but after going through the events, I will just get rid of everything Pelikan - luckily my listing was well received, so it seems I will be able to find new homes for my Pelikans

Keeping ~10 pens inked was pretty challenging even without this issue, I will probably continue with a duo from now on, I was intending one of those to be my M1005, but it might as well be my Lamy CP1 :)

Off topic, pelikans keep their inks extremely well by the way, only my twsbi beats them in terms of ink conservation, which is able to keep the ink without any loss, most Lamy's just let it all go after 2 months :)

it is no more a nice hobby if it causes you so much stress. Perhaps you need to calm down a bit... No reason to have so many pens inked if you have no use for them.

May i suggest that before you sell ur pens in a moment of heat, take some time, take some distance for the whole thing. Then if you still want to sell them go ahead. You might regret it later.

I still maintain that Pelikan would fix your cap if you opened a new claim for it. I dont think you have ever made clear to them, what you actually want. You focus on an issue that cannot be substantiated. There is no point in trying to make them take responsibility for a damage that happened two years ago. At the time you failed to document the damage (which might as well have been caused in the mail system), you have no proof for this, they cannot know who caused it.

So why not just stick to the facts:

1) You have a damaged pen

2) Pen is still under warranty

3) send it in for repair

4a)they will either repair it for free or

4b) repair it and charge you something

5) Problem solved

Pelikan does honour their warranty, if you read the other thread, another user had a Toledo restored for free, by sending it to Pelikan in Germany. Not the original owner, no warranty, negligence (accident with polishing tool), and a very expensive pen. Pelikan was not obliged to offer a free restoration for this pen, they could have charged (and not only at cost but also make a profit).

The community has pointed numerous solutions to you including repair the pen under warranty, buy a new cap and sell the old one, etc None seems to be good enough for you. Sadly the pen cannot be magically repaired. You need to act towards a direction.

I also see you are still maintaining your original position in your sales thread... That is sad. I am not going to comment on your comments on Montblanc service. I own no Montblanc pens, so I dont have an opinion. But they do charge a fee for every warranty claim.

Edited by fplover01