The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

20 Red Inks Scanned (Or, The Next Chapter In The Continuing Saga Of Klundtasaur's Obsession About Color)

red scans comparison akkerman noodlers caran d ache diamine sailor sheaffer j. herbin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 klundtasaur

klundtasaur

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 16:58

The harrowing adventures of ink journal scanning continue. This time, we find our intrepid (obsessive) character considering the chromatic characteristics of crimson, cardinal, claret, cherry and carmine. 

Previously: Black, and Blue/Teal

What's all this on the page? Why are some pages a little different? Why are some of the pangrams not pangrammatic at all?  My obsessive processes, detailed:
Spoiler

I hope these are helpful to those of you looking for red inks. 

n1oFHBy.jpg
xpkIKYz.jpg
M0ULOQ6.jpg
e5Zrwhh.jpg
BRMR7RG.jpg
xrusJuV.jpg
Nulnxkw.jpg
qRrT7ik.jpg
Hve24l9.jpg
dJHi8vu.jpg
lIFyhPc.jpg
yaxe190.jpg
BySaZk8.jpg
ImtX3QQ.jpg
yxulJNS.jpg
DPPLlCL.jpg
AEWl495.jpg
7WZEVVo.jpg
RlwgFLL.jpg
4aAbQT0.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2015 - 17:08

AWESOME!!!... Love to see them all together...

GREAT JOB!!!

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 Azure Flash

Azure Flash

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2015 - 17:46

Rachmaninoff looks lost :P

Very nice variety of red. With so many options, one can't help but be tempted to challenge a teacher's instruction not to use red in your work, and just try to pick a unique enough shade...

Alternatively, if you were a teacher grading exams, which of these would you use? What would be the most traumatic shade of red to highlight mistakes with? Diamine Oxblood would fit that latter theme... but I think Diamine Poppy Red looks the most like a classic grading red, bright and alarming.

#4 klundtasaur

klundtasaur

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 19:47

AWESOME!!!... Love to see them all together...

GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks! I'm glad to be helpful :) 

Rachmaninoff looks lost :P

Very nice variety of red. With so many options, one can't help but be tempted to challenge a teacher's instruction not to use red in your work, and just try to pick a unique enough shade...

Alternatively, if you were a teacher grading exams, which of these would you use? What would be the most traumatic shade of red to highlight mistakes with? Diamine Oxblood would fit that latter theme... but I think Diamine Poppy Red looks the most like a classic grading red, bright and alarming.

Rachmaninoff is one of the few from this group that didn't scan well. It looks a lot more purple in this scan than it does in real life. Goulet's swab is closer, but still more purple than the actual color itself. It is exactly the same color as a new bottle of Pepto Bismol, if you're familiar with that stuff.

Diamine Poppy, Wild Strawberry, Sheaffer Skrip Red, and PW Akkerman's #21 are all very vibrant, fairly "true" reds. I was always a bit skeptical of people's consistent recommendation of Sheaffer's Skrip, but damned if it isn't just a fantastically performing, bright, true red. If I didn't want to add a real Akkerman bottle to my collection, Skrip Red is the "grading red" I would have purchased.

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:41

Great job, thanks.

I still think Momiji is very pink, and that there's no real red in the Iroshizuku line.

Some say Akkermans are just rebottled Diamines. I suspect the China Town Red might have been Poppy Red. But gosh that bottle is nice!

#6 klundtasaur

klundtasaur

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:31

Great job, thanks.

I still think Momiji is very pink, and that there's no real red in the Iroshizuku line.

Some say Akkermans are just rebottled Diamines. I suspect the China Town Red might have been Poppy Red. But gosh that bottle is nice!

Thank you! And I agree--Mom-iji is definitely on the pinker side. But I do love its golden sheen.

With Diamine's Poppy next to Akkerman's #21, it wouldn't surprise me that they are the very same ink. Tone, shading, waterproofness, and no-sheen are all identical. The Akkerman feathered a bit more, but not outside of normal variation from page to page. 

As you said, the Akkerman bottle is what put me over the top. If you're not a bottle collector, Skrip or Poppy are very similar vibrant reds.

#7 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:42

Sheaffer Skrip was a pleasant surprise. I also like red ink. My latest favorite is Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#8 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 20:13

Great review! You saved me a bottle of Caran d'Ache Divine Pink, although Infra Red doesn't get of from the hook.

#9 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

More color!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:08

I adore reds in all their variations and glory.  I have many of the ones demonstrated here, and in addition, I have a few others that might be helpful:

Attached Images

• Bloody Face Off.jpeg
  • clown teardrop-hjb.jpg
  • oku yama-hjb.jpg

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:01

K- So, do you think the Wild Strawberry and China Town Red are the same ink?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:32

Also, we'd love to see these on the Red Swab thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#12 Tom Traubert

Tom Traubert

Mint - both Linux and pens :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:36

My preferred grading inks are Diamine Matador and Noodler's American Eel Red Rattler.  Quink Red is good too.  That Skrip looks decent, so I may have to invest.  Too many times I've bought a red ink and found it to actually be pink or orange.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

#13 klundtasaur

klundtasaur

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 16:28

K- So, do you think the Wild Strawberry and China Town Red are the same ink?

I think Diamine's Poppy is closer to Akkerman 21 than Wild Strawberry. WS is ever so slightly more orange than Poppy or #21. But, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me to find that Poppy and #21 come from the same vat at Diamine. 

Also, we'd love to see these on the Red Swab thread.

I can do that!

My preferred grading inks are Diamine Matador and Noodler's American Eel Red Rattler.  Quink Red is good too.  That Skrip looks decent, so I may have to invest.  Too many times I've bought a red ink and found it to actually be pink or orange.

On my pages, Matador is just slightly more maroon than Skrip--but it's not hugely noticeable. Both are eye-catching reds :)

#14 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 17:47

Thank you!! Great stuff.

#15 fountainpenlady

fountainpenlady

Beware of lady wearing a hat, carrying fountain pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Location:Home of the largest Army Installation in the Free World!
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2015 - 18:47

Symbolically writing, going to have a heart attack right here! What a real red pleasure to feast upon on this Monday. Thank you. :wub:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne.  :wub:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red, scans, comparison, akkerman, noodlers, caran d ache, diamine, sailor, sheaffer, j. herbin

Sponsored Content

|