Quality Of New Pelikan Pens-M101N Lizard

nibbums

SirGilbert, I must tell you that this question has been asked and answered ad nauseam here on FPN -- just make a search <or> go into the forum marked "Nibs and Tines"...also search any of Bo Bo Olsen's informative posts.

If you <want> flex, there are always postings from sellers in the "Classifieds" section!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nibbums

• Matlock

• sirgilbert357

• The Good Captain

SirGilbert, I must tell you that this question has been asked and answered ad nauseam here on FPN -- just make a search <or> go into the forum marked "Nibs and Tines"...also search any of Bo Bo Olsen's informative posts.

If you <want> flex, there are always postings from sellers in the "Classifieds" section!

Sorry, guess I should have searched first before thinking out loud like that...lol. I'll do a search. Thank you.

Did something happen in the 1990's within Pelikan? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I know literally nothing about Pelikan history. Was there a corporate buyout/re-structuring or tooling change with the assembly line?

I've also heard vintage nibs are better writers than current production, so if there's any real difference there, maybe it can be attributed to the same "1990 issue"?

I love my M205 and plan to pick up a blue striped M405 soon, so I'm interested in learning...

Let me start with a disclaimer: Below is purely my opinion and I may be wrong. Merely speculation. Feel free to disagree with me.

Pelikan was sold some time back to a Malaysian company, and it appears that in recent years this company, is trying to make more money off the brand (somewhat resembling Newell Rubbermaid and Parker). To do this, they introduce more LEs and SEs, as well as try to raise prices by raising its profile (Pelikan Hubs) and trying to reposition its brand to be a luxury brand (more MB-like).

Having said so, there are two methods of making money. One is increasing profit, which is done by the above paragraph. The other is reducing cost, which may be the reason why there is a drop in QC. Of course I'm just speculating here, there may not be a QC issue at all to begin with!

For what it's worth, I got myself a Pelikan M200 Demo (2012). That was my first pen back into the FP world, and I loved it so much I'm still here today. To me I haven't had an issue.

~Epic

I dont really think quality has dropped. Pens have changed to adjust to a changing world and changing writing habits. Nibs are more on the nail side and thicker to reflect the needs of a generation which is more familiar with ballpoints. And every brand which wants to survive has to take the luxury market seriously. Fountain pens are not a necessity, they are more of a luxury for some people and project exclusivity. Every firm needs publicity and to reach out to new customers.

The Malaysians have been owners of Pelikan for almost 20 years now. Despite fears of their intentions, they seem to have administrated the company carefully, and with respect to its tradition. Lately they bought what is left from another German stationary company Herlitz and integrated both structures to form a stronger brand in all segments of the stationary business (this includes low end and school market). Their strategy seems to be long term and not quick money oriented, and they never moved the production to a cheaper place.

I recently read a post in a German forum, from someone who was personally at the Pelikan factory for a Wünsch dir was Feder. Poster took the factory tour, and according to him he saw that every nib of the high end pens was tested manually and that almost all pen parts were manufactured by Pelikan there.

I have had great out of the box experience with all the Pelikan pens I have had. In fact Pelikan piston fillers were the only fountain pens that managed to convince me that a fountain pen can be as practical as a rollerball. And if I needed one pen to write, I would take the M205 over anything else. Only a M805 had some nib problems which Pelikan fixed. I was taken aback by this, I had come to expect absolute perfection after 20 perfect pens (some were also preowned).

I have no experience with the 101N series. perhaps the OP has a bad batch of pens. Sometimes things can go wrong. But I am confident that Pelikan will stand behind their product, as they did for my nib too. There are no 100% perfect products. But making sure a problem is corrected is very important.

Edited by fplover01

It is interesting that this thread is still going strong. For what it's worth I have four pens, on my desk, that are in daily use. A Parker 75 with needlepoint nib, my trusty M600 first series, a 400 tourtoise and a M101N Lizard. Which is the best pen? a difficult question to answer. The 75 is rather special because of the nib. The 400 has, by far, the best nib of the Pelikans. The M600 is my favourite but that is because of it's history. The M101N has the best finish by a long chalk but not the best nib but that can be changed. Leaving aside the Parker, the main advantage of the Pelikans is that fact that I can swap the nibs. That fact, and the great Pelikan service, lead me to always recommend Pelikan when asked. Of course, as usual, YMMV.

Edited by Matlock

Peter