How Much Is This Vintage Parker 45 Worth?

frauz

Wondering how much this pen is worth, as I'm suspecting that I grossly overpaid for it.

post-121383-0-26609800-1426470339_thumb.jpg

I recently got this Parker 45 at a pen show and was very happy with my purchase. It has a 14k gold nib and writes beautifully. I don't have a deep knowledge of fountain pens (only started collecting last year), so I just trusted the dealer's price. However, when I got home, I started doing some research, and discovered that the pen is being sold on ebay for much, much lower than what I had paid. The dealer said that it was a rare version of the pen because of the gold cap and the lighter red color, which is why it was double the price of the other Parker 45's. She also threw in a converter, a bottle of ink, and a leather pen case -- maybe she was feeling guilty? I don't want to say how much I paid until I get some responses first because I feel really dumb and depressed. Thoughts?

Edited by frauz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• NinthSphere

• frauz

• Fountain-head

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Jar.
As long as you enjoy writing with it, how much you paid now becomes irrelevant. Don't let that ruin a good pen.

What you're getting on ebay is, in many cases, pens of unclear condition from people who may not have any clue what they're selling. Ebay is a fine judge for what people will pay, but not of legit value.

Thats a beautiful pen BTW. Haven't seen this color on a P45. It probably IS worth double that of a normal P45...

A lifelong FP user...

You got a great pen with bonuses of a new converter, ink and a pen case. It's done, enjoy your pen and educate yourself before you buy the next one.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

"writes beautifully"......

Uh, is there a problem?

Think of this way...IF you did overspend (for a pen that "writes beautifully") your scribbles from that pen will be that much more unique.

Have at it!!!

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry- Mark Twain

I'll be interested when someone finally hazards a guess. No idea myself. The couple I have are "normal" colors with steel nibs. One had the old squeeze style converter, but I didn't get any ink or pen cases with them.

Enjoy your pen. And if somebody does name a figure, and it's less than what you paid, don't sweat it. We've all overpaid for something, or not found the best bargain.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

You found yourself a beautiful pen. Haven't seen one that color before. The 45 is a great little pen. (I have three 45's now - a deskpen/set, a classic in Burgundy that was Made in Spain and a Flighter with a 14k nib. Yours appears to be in better shape than mine. But mine were purchased off ebay, but still in very good shape.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'll guess something like $100. Considering 45s hover around the 40-50s, that's about double.

It's a beautiful color at the very least. If I were looking for a 45 and saw this offered in the classifieds, in fully restored condition, with a pleasing writing sample attached and with a converter, I'd have no problem paying 70 or 80 for it.

I have quite a few 45's, but all are either black, flighters, grey, or turquoise. All purchased from Ebay for an average price of $15 or so.

That being said, I rarely see the color you have, and the GF cap pushes this up another notch still. With all the extra items I'm sure you didn't do as badly as you might think.

I appreciate everyone's responses. You're all right; I shouldn't worry about the price if I love the pen, which I do. More than the money, though, it's the idea that she would overcharge me by that much that continues to bother me. I'll just have to be more knowledgeable the next time I walk into a pen show. For those interested, I paid $160 (down from $180…she said if I didn't buy it then, she would mark it up to $225).

Edited by frauz

14k gold broad

A broad nib? You don't seem to have done very badly, especially considering the colour, cap, and the stuff you got free with it.

Unique color. Gold Cap. Great condition & B nib. You got a great pen. You might have somewhat overpaid for it but that is a heck of a pen and I'll admit to not really liking the P45 that much.

I have a couple pens I overpaid for. When they are great pens you look at it a year or so down the line and say, "in retrospect ...." and all is good. It is only a bad deal if the pen writes poorly, leaks or never gets used.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

If the pen case is decent, that's probably about $50ish with the ink. More than I would have paid, but I prefer the 51. I think you still did ok.

Wondering how much this pen is worth, as I'm suspecting that I grossly overpaid for it.

What if? You must have bought it because you liked it very much, not because it was a good deal. Pens are not considered sound investments, really. As for value...let`s say 55 bucks tops.

Edited by rochester21

Many of us have made poor initial choices as we first dipped our toes into the world of fountain pens. I still have a generic nail, devoid of any character, that I'll never use again as proof of this. Which is a much more common, but no less expensive a mistake.

You've got a great pen there, enjoy it.

Edited by Nanor