Stipula Etruria Amber

handlebar

Having read the review of the Ocean Blue Etruria by The Noble Savage,i was intrigued with this pen series.There were already quite a few Italians in my collection.But none were as large and mysterious.So i found a fellow FPN'er who was selling his Stipula Etruria Amber.Here are my impressions of this fine pen.

Weight/Size-5 out of 5

This pen is a larger one but not as big as i thought it would be.It looks like a cigar from a distance!!The pen fits the hand just perfect!!And the warmth it gives makes writing a delight.It is about the same length as my Omas Paragon but a wee smidgen larger in girth.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SE1.jpg

Here it is with some of my other Italians to show a size comparison.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/C11-small.jpg

Ink filling system-5 out of 5!!!

This pen holds a lot of ink!! I have been able to write for a week with it.The piston-filling system is my favourite style.But this pen has three options available:cartridge,converter or piston-filling.Nice to have these three options.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SE3.jpg

The one issue i have had(as others with celluloid pens have also experienced)is that when dipping the end in an ink bottle,the ink can get behind the nib and discolour it a bit.This amber colour made it difficult to tell until in bright light and looking for it specifically.Fortunately it is an easy clean up.Just unscrew the nib,the lower section,and clean it up.It happens rarely.Still,others should know about it.

Nib performance 5 out of 5

Ok,ok.I have been giving high marks so far.But this nib is THE best writing nib in my entire collection.Even better than any of my Omas pens.This nib is a fine,which is my preferred size.It delivers a nice even line that is not too wet.And it is buttery smooth!!!Writing is effortless and a joy.None comes close to this.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SEN1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SEN2.jpg

I would use this pen all day ,every day if i didn't own other pens.it is THAT good.

The nib is 18k gold.

Colour/appearance 5 out of 5

Again,a top rating from me.The colour is beautifully stunning.I love browns and greens.But i was taken aback at this pens brilliance.The colour stands out at every angle. it reminds me of an autumn day in the woods with its variation in hues and tones.I know that the Stipula brochure brings out that it reminds one of the Italian earth that bore the Stipula company.I agree!!The trim is silver with gold vermeil.it is classy yet does not distract from the amber tones of the pen.Please forgive the obvious fingerprints on the pen.Sometimes my photography shows how anxious i get to complete a project!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SE5.jpg

All of the Etruria pens are numbered .This pen is #6062.

I wanted to show how this pen writes with Noodlers El Lawrence,my favourite waterproof ink.It is one of the few pens i have that flows well with this heavier ink.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SW2.jpg

Price/Value 5 for 5

Again,the price for this pen is very good for a pen of such quality.I paid less than half of it's list.So it was a delightful find for me!!

In closing,i would most certainly buy more from Stipula,especially the Etruria.

I don't see them up for sale very often.Probably too many people feel the same way about them maybe??

JD

Vancouver,Wa

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• Junkuar

• cirmet

• wimg

Very nice review, thank you.

Does the nib retract into the barrel ? I don't own an italian pen yet, but it's on my list of pen I really want to buy.

Every teachers in my school got a back pay check today, some got 6000$, but I got 2.32$ since I'm a new teacher sad.gif

I might wait a little while till I get the pen.

If I'm not too indiscrete, how much did you pay for the pen?

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

QUOTE (Samovar @ Mar 30 2007, 07:16 PM)
Very nice review, thank you.
Does the nib retract into the barrel ? I don't own an italian pen yet, but it's on my list of pen I really want to buy.

Every teachers in my school got a back pay check today, some got 6000$, but I got 2.32$ since I'm a new teacher sad.gif

I might wait a little while till I get the pen.
If I'm not too indiscrete, how much did you pay for the pen?

Samovar

Hi Samovar.The nib does not retract.I paid $225 for it used.A great deal.I see them (when that happens,which is rare)for between $250 and 325.

It is a pen worth saving up for.if i had to sell every pen and keep two,they would be my Stipula and my Omas Paragon.

Heaven forbid that ever happen laugh.gif

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Excellent review of a gorgeous pen, handlebar. I have two Stipula pens and agree the nibs are superb. They do, indeed, rival OMAS nibs of which I am a big fan also. Both my Stipula pens were perfect out of the box. I have put the Eturia on my short list of pens.

I have a question motivated largely by self-interest. It has to do with the pesky ink-behind-the-nib problem: Could one remove the large piston and fill it directly from the bottle? (Sure this would be an extra step, but it'd be easier than removing the nib unit as you describe.)

QUOTE (Sazerac @ Mar 30 2007, 07:45 PM)
Excellent review of a gorgeous pen, handlebar. I have two Stipula pens and agree the nibs are superb. They do, indeed, rival OMAS nibs of which I am a big fan also. Both my Stipula pens were perfect out of the box. I have put the Eturia on my short list of pens.

I have a question motivated largely by self-interest. It has to do with the pesky ink-behind-the-nib problem: Could one remove the large piston and fill it directly from the bottle? (Sure this would be an extra step, but it'd be easier than removing the nib unit as you describe.)

Good question.I'm afraid to do much more to my pen than clean it as i have described.Too chicken i guess~:>

JD

Edited by handlebar

QUOTE (handlebar @ Mar 31 2007, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (Sazerac @ Mar 30 2007, 07:45 PM)
I have a question motivated largely by self-interest. It has to do with the pesky ink-behind-the-nib problem: Could one remove the large piston and fill it directly from the bottle?

I also have an amber Etruria. The ink behind the section problem can be solved. Remove the nib--the whole nib assembly is treaded like in Pelikan pens. Then you can clean the section until it's clear. Before you replace the nib, make sure to put some silicone grease in the assembly, close to the nib, so it will seal it.

Handlebar, thank you so kindly for yet another great review. I have been eyeing this pen for awhile, and you are right--it's hard to find used ones. Absolutely gorgeous pen, and it's great to know that it writes like a dream. tongue.gif

Jim, great review and truly a beautiful pen. In my opinion, that pen (which I have kept on my "want" list for a long time) encompasses two favorite qualities: the warmth of earthy celluloid colors and the pen's organic hardware. I am very impressed with the consistent favorable reviews too! Enjoy the pen Jim! That would be one that I'd never, ever expect to see on the "Marketplace" forum.

Best regards,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Handlebar and Escribiente

Great review -- it just so happens that I have on loan an amber Etruria piston fill and a Nettuno Superba ltd edition. I am trying to decide on which one to keep as a trade for my Visconti Wall street. Both are amazing pens

I have a question: both of you mentioned that the nib can be unscrewed from the body just like a Pelikan. Are you sure, I tried with no success and I was afraid to force it so I just gave up. I need to clean it, but am afraid to force the nib in case I damage it.

Please let me know

Thanks

QUOTE (penforlife @ Mar 31 2007, 04:09 AM)
Handlebar and Escribiente

Great review -- it just so happens that I have on loan an amber Etruria piston fill and a Nettuno Superba ltd edition. I am trying to decide on which one to keep as a trade for my Visconti Wall street. Both are amazing pens

I have a question: both of you mentioned that the nib can be unscrewed from the body just like a Pelikan. Are you sure, I tried with no success and I was afraid to force it so I just gave up. I need to clean it, but am afraid to force the nib in case I damage it.

Please let me know
Thanks

It does unscrew as i have done so with this exact pen.Similar to the Omas pens as well.I understand the hesitant reasoning though.

JD

Handlebar

Thanks -- will give it shot. My italian collection at this point only includes Omas; Visconti, and Stipula. Omas rank almost ahead of all other pens that I own.

I am curious; since you are fond of Italian pens, have you had any experience with the Nettuno Superba. I believe only 911 were ever made. If so, would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank You

QUOTE (penforlife @ Mar 31 2007, 12:09 PM)

I have two Etrurias, one older convertible model (brown) and the newer built in piston filler (black) and I was able to swap the nib sucessfully.

QUOTE (penforlife @ Mar 31 2007, 10:08 AM)
Handlebar

Thanks -- will give it shot. My italian collection at this point only includes Omas; Visconti, and Stipula. Omas rank almost ahead of all other pens that I own.

I am curious; since you are fond of Italian pens, have you had any experience with the Nettuno Superba. I believe only 911 were ever made. If so, would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank You

I have seen the Nettuno in person and say it is pretty.But so far have not "liked" it enough to buy one yet.Who knows though tongue.gif

JD

Hi,

Unscrew the nib, then place the silicone grease on the outside of the nib unit. Do not get any into the feeding mechanism though! smile.gif

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

great review wink.gif is it me or did you buy an arte italiana paragon????

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi Handlebar,

First of all, thank you for a great review! I do love my Etrurias, all 24 of them smile.gif, and all of them are great writers, too.

QUOTE (Samovar @ Mar 31 2007, 05:16 AM)
Does the nib retract into the barrel ? 
No, it doesn't, that is the Amber Retractible, at least, in this lovely celluloid.

QUOTE (Sazerac @ Mar 31 2007, 05:45 AM)

Yes, you can, although it is also a bit messy. Just like you can refill a normal converter straight from the bottle, you can also refill the large metal piston converter from the bottle. Actually, with some of the pens shipped recently, Stipula actually put in a little piece of plastic, that could be fitted to the big piston converter, with which filling it directly is less messy. These little widgets are part of the Stipula Netto ink filling system, too, which is another alternative for making things less messy smile.gif.

It is a little more tricky to put the big converter back in again, though, more so than a normal converter, because the turning mechanism at the end of the barrel has to engage exactly. You may have to try two or three times before you have it in the right position, when putting the barrel back on again.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever