The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Letter Codes On Mabie Todd Nibs

swan mabie todd nibs

3 replies to this topic

#1 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2015 - 13:08

I often see Mabie Todd nibs with a letter stamped on the nib below the size number. The most common examples seem to be D, G and H. Is it known what these letters designate?

Examples:

IzQiBvd.jpg

VkefZtW.jpg

8g0UJCD.jpg

utQ9Ep9.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 22:36

I think all my Mabie-Todds are older and don't have any extra letter there.

#3 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:26

I noticed that one of my Swans has a "K" nib:

vKyoeW3.jpg

It's a 3240 self-filler. The nib is a reluctant semi-flex, fairly stiff, despite the long tines. The Swan logo round the breather hole is unlike the other letter nibs above, but in common with those the nib has the "14C - 585" line of text underneath (14 carat, 58.5% gold).

I've been comparing it to a "D" nib in a safety eyedropper, which has a wider, easier flex, almost a full flex.

So far, then, all I've concluded is that D > K (assuming that the letters do indeed refer to flexibility).

Edited by Goudy, 10 April 2015 - 14:20.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#4 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 19:43

Just spotted a flexible "H" nib on eBay - which would appear to rule out the "H = hard" theory.

From the writing sample it looks like it's flexier than my "K" but less than my "D": D > H > K

So maybe the firmer nibs were the ones with the letters later in the alphabet.

I don't think it has to do with nib width, as suggested in the comments on a goodwriterspens blog post. Here's another "D", which as a stub is considerably wider than the other "D" I posted above:

nFicDBd.jpg

Some other info gleaned from the comment by "Mike" on the goodwriterspens link: "As far as I know they didn’t start adding letters to the nib numbers till the late 40s, and didn’t adopt the European-style “14C-585″ designation till the early 50s."

[Edited to remove eBay link in accordance with Forum rules]

Edited by Goudy, 10 April 2015 - 19:53.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swan, mabie todd, nibs

Sponsored Content

|