The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Coffee Ristretto, Just Because

dip coffee ristretto espresso

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:22

Ok, so a poster elsewhere on FPN asked about coffee as ink, in particular, ristretto (short espresso). It was freshly shot through a semi-commercial machine with the right grind.

I tried it in a dip pen but would never put it in a FP due to acidity, caramelisation, solidification, and oils. I was going to leave it there, however it ended up having a sheen/shine that was unexpected so thought it might be of interest to inky recipe makers.

It didn't feather on Rhodia at all. It did bleed through but didn't seep on to the next page. It has a certain amount of permanence - wetting the page and rubbing across it with my finger caused an initial light smear but then the paper wore away before the 'ink' did.

The ristretto was too fluid really. I put some in a vial and added a xanthan concentrate I use experimentally for viscosity adjustment but it caused a synergistic reaction I've never seen before that turned it into a thick gel. Unexpected. Perhaps acacia might work better to increase viscosity if anyone ever got that curious.

edit: forgot to mention that the 'ink' is completely dry in these pics. That's sheeny/shiny dry ink.

Here are the pics I posted elsewhere.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edited by Intellidepth, 14 March 2015 - 10:26.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Sponsored Content

#2 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:03

Very interesting! I accidentally made one of my inks like that by adding (involuntarily) trace amounts of sugar. The ink ended up being sticky to the touch. What about yours?

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#3 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 16:35

No added sugar. Didn't feel sticky, or oily, just smooth and firm. Surprising.
Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#4 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:23

the color reminds me of Noodler's golden brown, though this one has a much more shading ability.  

-rudy-

#5 Vertical

Vertical

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:26

Looks almost gold in the picture- appearance is great!

#6 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:51

It is shiny rather than sheeny. Although, I could have added gold luster to it had I thought outside the box, then posted it in the glitter thread ;).

#7 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2015 - 14:14

So, now I can have my morning cup and fill my pen at the same time. I doubt that coffee is more acidic than some inks. I still would be reluctant to fill a pen with it. I do use Platinum Preppies for ink testing, though—they are disposable fountain pens. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#8 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2015 - 15:49

I would be very careful with even a fine espresso grind as the brew can precipitate, or form fine solid particles as the temperature lowers.

I could see a nibmeister having a puzzled look on his face when he later works on your pen, "somehow I smell coffee here."   :)

Edited by stevesurf, 03 June 2015 - 15:49.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

#9 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2015 - 20:32

It's too bad that this isn't FP safe.  I LOVE the sheen you're getting.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dip, coffee, ristretto, espresso

Sponsored Content

|