The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Unusual M200 Red Striped?

m200 red striped

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jungkind

jungkind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 17:48

I just received an unusual M200 or M250 (nibs can be swapped) with red striped binde. See the attached photos. New Style, printed 2 chick captop logo. 

Anybody has ever heart of it? ...or what other model or Frankenpen could it be?

[attachment=304352:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_barrel.jpg][attachment=304353:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_cap.jpg][attachment=304354:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_capped.jpg][attachment=304355:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_capring.jpg][attachment=304356:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_capring1.jpg][attachment=304357:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_captop.jpg][attachment=304358:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_feed.jpg][attachment=304359:Pelikan_M200_NS_red_stripe_nib.jpg]

Sponsored Content

#2 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 21:25

This is interesting indeed.  The post-'97 trim style and the two chick cap top logo would date the pen 1997-2003.  The only striped M200 that I'm aware of is the tortoiseshell brown (same in the M250 line) and that's only in the pre-'97 trim style.  All other M200's, excluding the demonstrators, have an ink window rather than the translucent binde.  Also, this red striped pattern is unlike the red striped pattern seen on the Souverän line.  I've seen some M200's with custom barrels and so would think that this might be a custom job done aftermarket or, alternatively, some type of prototype.  I do not think this was ever an official release.  I have searched the world looking for M200's and spent considerable time researching the line and have never come across a pen of this appearance previously or even any mention of it.  It's also not mentioned in any of my usual references.  Of course, strange and poorly documented things have come out of Hannover so you never can be quite sure.

Can you give any more information about the provenance of the pen?  Any more details surrounding it?  Whatever it is, I dare say it's unique.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#3 PJohnP

PJohnP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:51

Wow.  That's one handsome pen.

Yes, please do provide more information on the pen.  I'd rather like to acquire one myself, if that's possible.

John P.

#4 risingsun

risingsun

Collector Mentality

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:22

Great looking pen. Possibly a custom binde? M200 would have an ink window. Is the material translucent like on a M400?

Edited by risingsun, 14 March 2015 - 02:24.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

#5 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:49

Now that is a gorgeous pen!! Hang onto it,

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#6 jungkind

jungkind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 13:33

Will try to get more information. The material is not translucent, no ink window, without further information I assume that it is a custom made binde.

#7 Trebor

Trebor

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 14:21

There was another pen a week or two ago (I think an M600) that no one could identify. It was a marbled gold-brown, and speculation was that it, too, was a custom binde.

My question is, what is a custom binde? Is this something that Pelikan will do for private orders (assuming the order is large enough), or is this just something that people do themselves? I'm really curious as to all of these unidentified Pelikans floating around.

#8 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 15:47

It's not a factory offering. Some people out there make custom bindes for certain Pelikan's. A binde is just the colorful wrapping around a seperate barrel piece. Not all Pelikan's lend themselves to it. Some are solid construction and therefore would require a whole new barrel to customize. Usually seen more on the higher end pens than anything in the classic series but I have seen a few examples.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#9 Ambien

Ambien

Consulting Detective

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:25

It does reminds me of a customized Pelikan I saw a few months ago. IIRC their local craftsmen took orders for certain colors and a member posted photos of the completed work here later. 

Tempus edax rerum

#10 jungkind

jungkind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 14:26

According to the seller, it came from the collection of a former Controller of the Pelikan Company. 

#11 risingsun

risingsun

Collector Mentality

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 14:43

Even cooler, with that provenance.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

#12 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 18:14

It does reminds me of a customized Pelikan I saw a few months ago. IIRC their local craftsmen took orders for certain colors and a member posted photos of the completed work here later. 

That would be me, I posted pics of a M200 (originally a green marble) where a local craftsman put a custom blue acrylic binde on it, that I selected as a rod off of an acrylic website.  Took him about a week tu turn it around to me.  If not for knowing that the colour combo was never made, it looks "normal".  I assume that this is what we are seeing with the red stripe pelikan above

Edited by benincanada, 21 March 2015 - 18:19.

#13 javierba73

javierba73

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 20:15

i didn't know it, but it's so beautiful.

www.inkreviews.es

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m200, red striped

Sponsored Content

|