The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Did A Totally Evil Thing Today

pens ahab daluz

31 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:43

I gave my boss a Waterman Commando last Christmas, and he likes to sketch with it. Then his mom gave him an MB 149 that belonged to his grandfather. Honestly, I'm happy for him. Really.

So today I let him try my Joseph Daluz Ahab, which is crazy-flexible. A totally evil thing to do to a man who really doesn't have time to hang out on ebay.

Sponsored Content

#2 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 21:49

Just a question what is a  "Joseph Daluz Ahab"?

#Nope

#3 fountainpenlady

fountainpenlady

Beware of lady wearing a hat, carrying fountain pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,601 posts
  • Location:Home of the largest Army Installation in the Free World!
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 16:56

Just a question what is a  "Joseph Daluz Ahab"?

Thanks for asking, I was also wondering.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne.  :wub:

#4 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 19:48

He's one of the tinkerers who modifies Ahab nibs to superflex: he adds a titanium overfeed to his nibs so the ink supply can keep up with the nib. 

Every so often he puts a few of them on eBay, and I got lucky. I really like the nib: in the hands of someone who really knows what he's doing it can accomplish wonderful things. Look for jfdiberica on eBay.

#5 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2015 - 20:52

You should propose a deal.  A flexible nib like that is surely better to have than an old beater- yes, i`m referring to the 149. 

Edited by rochester21, 14 March 2015 - 12:17.

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:34

I wouldn't call a restored Commando a "beater". He generates some pretty nice drawings with it. And his mother gave him his grandfather's vintage MB 149 for Christmas. Game over.

#7 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:39

I gave my boss a Waterman Commando last Christmas, and he likes to sketch with it. Then his mom gave him an MB 149 that belonged to his grandfather. Honestly, I'm happy for him. Really.

So today I let him try my Joseph Daluz Ahab, which is crazy-flexible. A totally evil thing to do to a man who really doesn't have time to hang out on ebay.

Hahaha. Very. Especially when there are none for sale right now. Have u posted pics of the modded pen here on FPN and its output? Curious. What's the snap-back like, or is it more painterly? Is yours the xxf, xf, or m? If it's a finer one, what's the finest line u can draw/write?

Edited by Intellidepth, 14 March 2015 - 05:41.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#8 FPVIBERIAN

FPVIBERIAN

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:06

I'm going to finish making another one of these tomorrow in Pima tortoise if anyone's interested

My name is Joseph DaLuz.  I just wrote a lengthy explanation about what I've been doing with the Noodler's Ahab, but it was lost in cyberspace... so here's some copy from my ebay listing. 

Custom Noodler's Ahab: nib reground to XF, with another Nib mod to increase flex to BBB. Feed also reset.  After the flex mod, I used a Zeiss microscope to adjust the tines and do the regrind. As fine as it is, it's still smooth.  To increase the ink flow during times of high demand, I made a titanium overfeed.  there is a slight notch in the section for this. It was difficult to get the two axis curvature right.  It's everyday use and for pointed pen calligraphy

Amazing flex actually, and will not railroad if you write at a moderate speed. I find that ink flow tolerances are better than many of my precious vintage pens.

#9 FPVIBERIAN

FPVIBERIAN

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:16

#10 FPVIBERIAN

FPVIBERIAN

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:17

cccccccc.jpg

#11 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:23

:) welcome to FPN. Looking forward to seeing some of your nib mods being reviewed here. And hoping I got in line soon enough before the flood of orders begins ;).
Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#12 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:16

I wouldn't call a restored Commando a "beater". He generates some pretty nice drawings with it. And his mother gave him his grandfather's vintage MB 149 for Christmas. Game over.

I was talking about the Montblanc ??!  Otherwise, what exactly is "evil" about giving someone a fountain pen to try??

#13 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 16:23

That is a very interesting modification and you also have a very beautiful handwriting!

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#14 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:21

Good to see you out in the open, Joseph! I thought you were hiding your light under a bushel, and you describe your specs much better than I can.

The "evil" part is that I have exposed my co-workers to the sins of envy and avarice, by demonstrating the inadequacy of their writing tools.

#15 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Goodest Twin

• Member - Gold

• 2,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2015 - 15:13

"The "evil" part is that I have exposed my co-workers to the sins of envy and avarice, by demonstrating the inadequacy of their writing tools."

Why do you say this like its a bad thing? :D

#16 Downcelot

Downcelot

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:58

It depends on the grandfather 149 ... some of those from the 50s, 60s are serious flexers...

Edited by Downcelot, 17 March 2015 - 02:59.

#17 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 23:59

It fills my heart with thoughts of larceny.

#18 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:37

Okay, so you have my attention now. How do I find out more about getting one?

What terms do I search on on the bay to find one when he posts one for sale?

Finally, what's the price for one of the modified Ahabs?

Thank you in advance.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#19 FPVIBERIAN

FPVIBERIAN

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 17:46

I'm going to list two more Ahab's this weekend. Black.

#20 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2015 - 19:41

Black is a great choice. Very elegant.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, ahab, daluz

Sponsored Content