Asa Sniper – Hooded Nib Custom Pen

mehandiratta

Nah, I've never found myself able to trust eyedroppers. Silly probably, but that's how it is..... ;)

I managed to fit a Bulow converter this morning and although I haven't used it a lot today, it hasn't let me down yet.... Fingers crossed.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• mehandiratta

• NinthSphere

• jjlax10

Some improvement today after my cleaning and shimming, but still died on me. I'm convinced it's something to do with the converter. Does the pen take any other converter - none of the others I have seem to fit properly.....?

Have u tried reporting to seller...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

No, I like to try and figure these things out....

Seems to be working pretty well today with the Bulow converter. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with the Schmidt converter in this pen? Perhaps I had a rogue one?

It's good to have it working. It writes so well. I just wish the broad nib was more of an 'English' broad..... ;)

I bought one of the translucent Snipers and first want to say that it's a stunning pen to look at. And I’m pleased both with its size and with how it writes. However, I’ve been encountering drying-out problems as well. Because I’ve been traveling a lot, I’ve been using the pen with cartridges and find that if I leave it unused for even a few hours, it takes a decent amount of fiddling to get it going again. Different inks haven’t thus far made a difference. I’ll eventually try the pen as an eyedropper but right now this problem is a pain in the butt. In terms of why this is happening, I’m guessing that the breather-hole in the cap may be the culprit; but I have other pens with similar holes that don’t dry out this fast.

USPS finally let me have my Sniper &, although it's probably been one of (if not the) most frustrating pens, I'm ultimately satisfied. The hood came slightly misaligned, but I was willing to let it go. Then, I accidentally tightened the section too tight & broke the hood free loosening it. That allowed me to straighten the hood, but required me to heat the barrel/upper section threads to loosen them. That ordeal over, I filled it up only to find a scratchy stub with a closed slit. Spread the tines, which improved the flow, but not the scratchiness. Pulled out the loupe & ground a nice edge on it. Might give it another pass tomorrow to see if I can smooth it out more. I don't seem to be having the flow issues though, which is nice.

USPS finally let me have my Sniper &, although it's probably been one of (if not the) most frustrating pens, I'm ultimately satisfied. The hood came slightly misaligned, but I was willing to let it go. Then, I accidentally tightened the section too tight & broke the hood free loosening it. That allowed me to straighten the hood, but required me to heat the barrel/upper section threads to loosen them. That ordeal over, I filled it up only to find a scratchy stub with a closed slit. Spread the tines, which improved the flow, but not the scratchiness. Pulled out the loupe & ground a nice edge on it. Might give it another pass tomorrow to see if I can smooth it out more. I don't seem to be having the flow issues though, which is nice.

Sad to hear that but iam sure if you report the same to seller.. he will help you out....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Sad to hear that but iam sure if you report the same to seller.. he will help you out....

Not really anything to do at this point. Everything is aligned now & I had another go at the nib. Got it running nice & smooth. Blame Jowo for a rather disappointing stock stub. I did get a bonus Click pen in my package for the trouble. Just more swearing than I usually anticipate with a new pen. :lticaptd:

You scare me, mate :yikes:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm rather late coming to this conversation. My Sniper (brushed black, M nib) arrived two or three weeks ago but I didn't have an opportunity to try it properly until last week when I was on holiday. I took the pen and some MB turquoise cartridges and a new notebook and started my holiday journal with it. I was thrilled by how well it writes straight out of the packaging. The nib is smooth and moderately wet and it writes so well; it is a joy to use. I don't say this lightly -- it is currently my favourite pen.

I took the step to order a Sniper after reading about it here on May 1st. After a few correspondences with them, the pen was completed and shipped. The pen arrived Wednesday of last week while I was away from home so I didn't get to explore it until I arrived home yesterday. I rinsed it out and dried it and I filled the converter half way with Noodlers Heart of Darkness.

It wrote straight away and so far hasn't burped skipped or otherwise messed up since I started using it. When my wife opened the package for me, there was another pen in the package! Someone had included a Gama "Airborne" ED pen, in solid, shiny black ebonite. I filled that with Private Reserve Naples blue and I'm also happy to report that I have had the same great luck in inking and using the Gama.

I understood that my Sniper was going to take a while since ASA says they make only 3 a day, but the shipping time was tortuous.

All in all I am greatly pleased with the Sniper and also the Airborne and would recommend ASA and these pens in particular, if you want an ebonite pen.

Regards,

Tim

"know thyself?" If I knew myself, I'd run away.

Goethe

• 1 month later...

Did anyone have difficulty unscrewing the hood. I need to realign the nib.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Did anyone have difficulty unscrewing the hood. I need to realign the nib.

I'd use a rubber grip. That's what got it for me the first time. Worst case, you might soak the threads in warmish-hot water for a minute or so to loosen them up. There's no sealant to worry about, though.

I'd use a rubber grip. That's what got it for me the first time. Worst case, you might soak the threads in warmish-hot water for a minute or so to loosen them up. There's no sealant to worry about, though.

Do you remember if it was right or left hand threading?

Edited by jjlax10

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

Do you remember if it was right or left hand threading?

Right handed, same as the section. I accidentally broke it loose the first time when I was trying to unscrew the section.

I got it open. I just needed align the tip with the axis of the pen so when I grind the nibs they will line up propoerly.

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

• 3 weeks later...

So for anyone with flow problems I am seeing an issue with my nib coming away from the feed. I will update with more as I examine.

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine in clear with the exception of the section, which is black ebonite. I am very happy with it, especially the stub, which is perfect for me.

It feels about like a .9 which means it is suitable for everyday writing.

This is my 4th ASA.

Could you show a photo?

• 3 months later...

I got my Sniper out again today after not using it for some time. I filled it up and wrote a few paragraphs, which left me wondering why I hadn't used it for so long! Very nice indeed. When I went to cap it, however, I noticed that the clip was loose. I also noticed scratches on one side of the clip that I hadn't seen before. I've had the pen in a wrap with others in my briefcase for months and I can only guess that as it was the last pen on the outside, it had been bashed by something. How would I go about getting the 'top' of the pen off to either tighten up the clip, or remove it completely, which would be my preference. (I have a thing about clipless pens). Is there an easy way to do this?

Edited by Aysedasi

I was looking at my sniper...

and I saw that if you remove the cap top finial ... which screwed tightly you can remove the clip... however there will be a slit cut visible after you remove the clip

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 2 weeks later...