Asa Sniper – Hooded Nib Custom Pen

mehandiratta

Hello fellow fountain pen lovers

This is an update to the Group Buy that we created for custom hooded nib pen made in acrylic or ebonite at fountain pen network.

Group Buy Link : FPN GROUP BUY

Link for Buying Pen : ASA SNIPER

The new images are as below. Also there is a new blue color. Enjoy. Products will start shipping on 28th March.

s-01.jpg?w=648

s-02.jpg?w=648

s-03.jpg?w=648

s-04.jpg?w=648

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• mehandiratta

• NinthSphere

• jjlax10

I've ordered one, but not on the group buy. Hopefully it'll be in the mail shortly after the group buy gets shipped :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 1 month later...

I just got mine in clear with the exception of the section, which is black ebonite. I am very happy with it, especially the stub, which is perfect for me.

It feels about like a .9 which means it is suitable for everyday writing.

This is my 4th ASA.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I just got mine in clear with the exception of the section, which is black ebonite. I am very happy with it, especially the stub, which is perfect for me.

It feels about like a .9 which means it is suitable for everyday writing.

This is my 4th ASA.

Congratulations

vaibhav mehandiratta

Received my all-matt Sniper about half an hour ago. Manufacturing was delayed quite a bit but I was surprised to get it today as I was told only just over a week ago that it was on it's way - so it has made it to the UK in the space of about 9 days. Impressive. Even more so as it's my birthday today...... ;)

I've only just inked it up quickly to try it out. I got a broad nib. Could have been a tad broader, but it writes fluently. I really like it. Impressive stuff. Highly recommended. :)

Now - can we have a red or orange one please - as bright as you can make it!

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Obviously, it would have to be renamed then...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Received my all-matt Sniper about half an hour ago. Manufacturing was delayed quite a bit but I was surprised to get it today as I was told only just over a week ago that it was on it's way - so it has made it to the UK in the space of about 9 days. Impressive. Even more so as it's my birthday today...... ;)

I've only just inked it up quickly to try it out. I got a broad nib. Could have been a tad broader, but it writes fluently. I really like it. Impressive stuff. Highly recommended. :)

Now - can we have a red or orange one please - as bright as you can make it!

Congratulations....

Iam also after his life for some colorful manufacturing...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Anyone else having skipping/inkflow problems with their Sniper? I loaded mine up when I got it and it seemed fine. Took it to work the next day and it plain stopped writing after 2 or 3 lines. A hefty shake or twist of the converter got it going again - for maybe one line. I kicked myself for having filled it without giving it a clean and flush first and that evening gave it a good flush through with the old standby of water with a drop of soap. The next morning it was writing beautifully then, all of a sudden, nothing. It stopped abruptly again. I'll give it another go tonight, but just wondered if I was the only one?

Anyone else having skipping/inkflow problems with their Sniper? I loaded mine up when I got it and it seemed fine. Took it to work the next day and it plain stopped writing after 2 or 3 lines. A hefty shake or twist of the converter got it going again - for maybe one line. I kicked myself for having filled it without giving it a clean and flush first and that evening gave it a good flush through with the old standby of water with a drop of soap. The next morning it was writing beautifully then, all of a sudden, nothing. It stopped abruptly again. I'll give it another go tonight, but just wondered if I was the only one?

Have u tried changing the ink... Also check for the tines... If they are apart or not... Otherwise report it to seller

vaibhav mehandiratta

I've used several inks and the tines look OK but I don't have a loupe to check them. I did it again yesterday morning. Frustrating - when it does write, it's very nice. Does the hood come off easily?

I've used several inks and the tines look OK but I don't have a loupe to check them. I did it again yesterday morning. Frustrating - when it does write, it's very nice. Does the hood come off easily?

I don't have my sniper yet so I don't know, but you could try removing the nib, washing it under running water, drying it and trying again. I don't think it's misaligned tines, but rather the ink not getting to the nib.

I have been using my Sniper non-stop for weeks now. I love it! It is a finicky pen though.

On arrival the nib (1.1mm italic) was scratchy, dry and misaligned. This wasn't much of a big deal for me, I tune almost all of my nibs when they arrive anyway as I like a glassy smooth feel. After a very slight realignment with some rubberised tweezers I flossed the tines with brass shims to make it wetter. A quick smooth down on some micromesh and mylar and the result is a glassy smooth and wet nib.

I have the converter version. I keep meaning to ED it but I've been travelling a lot for work so its easier to have the converter. I find that the pen is drying out easily if left to sit too long. I have been in quite hot Asian countries and milder European countries in the last fortnight and the rate of drying out varies. Some heavily saturated inks like my Diamine Sargasso Sea etc dry quickly than say something like J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir. At the moment I'm using Sailor Sky High with a droplet of water to thin it out slightly.

All in all I love the pen. The ebonite is a fantastic material. My own Forest Green version is beautiful and has garnered loads of comments from colleagues and peers. The shape of the pen is great too and lends itself easily to long writing sessions.

To answer my own question, the hood unscrews fairly easily. It appears not to require any sealant. The tines look pretty good to my naked eye but I've shimmed the nib as they were extremely tight. I noticed when I ran water through the section it dripped nicely out of the nib. Maybe when I've dried it and screwed it back together, all will be well but I'm thinking that there may be an airlock arising once the ink naturally present in the nib and section after a fill has been used. I've tried all my other 'standard' converters but none of them seem to fit properly...

If it doesn't work properly once everything is back together, you might gut an old cartridge for the plastic ball inside & stick it in the converter to break the surface tension. I have a Waterman converter on a pen that was giving me the same trouble until I did just that.

Some improvement today after my cleaning and shimming, but still died on me. I'm convinced it's something to do with the converter. Does the pen take any other converter - none of the others I have seem to fit properly.....?

Some improvement today after my cleaning and shimming, but still died on me. I'm convinced it's something to do with the converter. Does the pen take any other converter - none of the others I have seem to fit properly.....?

Why not try it as an eyedropper and see if the same thing happens