Conway Stewart Vs. Bespoke British Pens

gvhill

I was attempting to visit the Conway Stewart website today, looking for some information concerning older limited editions, and was re-directed to the Bespoke British Pens website. Does anyone have any information as to why this might be happening and/or what the current situation is? Thanks.

- Grayling

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• billf

• gvhill

• GreyPix

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

CS went bust last year, and Bespoke British Pens acquired much of the stock of parts etc.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

CS went into bankruptcy last Fall. BBP bought components as part of the liquidation sale. The also acquired rights to use the Conway Stewart name. The are producing CS designs from the stock which they purchased. It is not clear, at least to me, whether new designs will emerge under the CS name once these stocks are exhausted or whether they will try to replenish these stocks with new orders from CS suppliers.

CS went bust last year, and Bespoke British Pens acquired much of the stock of parts etc.

Cob

Sorry, I didn't make myself clearer. I was aware of the demise of CS and the start-up of BBP, but was asking about the redirection of the website. That seems unusual. I can only assume that there is some sort of agreement between BBP and the owners of the CS website. I was wondering if anyone had any information about that?

- Grayling

CS went into bankruptcy last Fall. BBP bought components as part of the liquidation sale. The also acquired rights to use the Conway Stewart name. The are producing CS designs from the stock which they purchased. It is not clear, at least to me, whether new designs will emerge under the CS name once these stocks are exhausted or whether they will try to replenish these stocks with new orders from CS suppliers.

Do you know for a fact that BBP acquired the right to use the CS name or is that speculation? Based on the BBP website you would assume they have a right to use the CS name, but BBP doesn't state that fact on their website and I am not aware of anyone associated with the company putting that information in the public venue.

- Grayling

I have no idea how reliable the information is. There was a report some time back in which I read an explicit statement that they had rights to the name. There's not a chance in the world that I could find that article now nor do I know how reliable it is.

I find it interesting that, as BBP state: "Please note that the majority of pens now available do not bear any engraving on the barrel that you may have been used to on relatively modern Conway Stewart pens i.e. the edition number, colour reference or Conway Stewart logo", it is probable that BBP do not have the right to use the CS brand.

Peter

I find it interesting that, as BBP state: "Please note that the majority of pens now available do not bear any engraving on the barrel that you may have been used to on relatively modern Conway Stewart pens i.e. the edition number, colour reference or Conway Stewart logo", it is probable that BBP do not have the right to use the CS brand.

This is my opinion also, I don't think BBP has the right to use the CS brand name. They are putting together nice pens made to CS designs but they are not in my opinion Conway Stewart pens.

This is my opinion also, I don't think BBP has the right to use the CS brand name. They are putting together nice pens made to CS designs but they are not in my opinion Conway Stewart pens.

Possibly not but as it is the two gentlemen who were so closely involved in Onoto, the pens are quite possibly better made and quality checked than the previous incarnation.

Looking at a promotional article in the spring WES magazine Besoke British Pens are careful not to state that they have any rights to Conway Stewart, only saying '...., made from original Conway Stewart components.'

Possibly not but as it is the two gentlemen who were so closely involved in Onoto, the pens are quite possibly better made and quality checked than the previous incarnation.

So the pens being sold by BBP 'look' like Conway Stewart designed pens though they don't have the name 'Conway Stewart' on them BUT they are of good quality! How would that work if a purchaser of one of these pens decided to sell one in a few years time on eBay. To advertise one of these as a Conway Stewart would probably prompt cries of 'fake'. They should, in my opinion, have the manufacturer's name i.e. BBP engraved on them and then sold as replicas.

It is an interesting debate. Is a Conway Stewart that wasn't assembled by them a Conway Stewart?. If the administrator had out sourced the assembly of the pens would they be replicas?

To me they are not replicas while all the materials are genuine Conway Stewart.

It is an interesting debate. Is a Conway Stewart that wasn't assembled by them a Conway Stewart?. If the administrator had out sourced the assembly of the pens would they be replicas?

To me they are not replicas while all the materials are genuine Conway Stewart.

But by that reasoning, should pens assembled in England from Chinese components have to carry a Chinese brand? I think the assembler deserves (and requires) identification too.

ron

But by that reasoning, should pens assembled in England from Chinese components have to carry a Chinese brand? I think the assembler deserves (and requires) identification too.

ron

If they are quality pens then why is this important? We spend way too much time splitting hairs about whether or not a pen is an "authentic" CS or not? Just a thought thanks,

Post Script

To the collector, this may or may not be important. I can see the possibility downstream that there will be a distinction between "CS" pens made and assembled by the factory and those that were assembled by others post-dissolution. It would matter to me.

Another thought! :)

Cheers,

Rich

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, Just to throw my tuppence worth into this discussion.

British Bespoke Pens bought a stock of completed and partially completed Conway Stewart pens. The completed ones are original and the partially completed stock are being put together using Conway Stewart original parts. So these could also be considered authentic.

They also purchased raw stock materials (eg resin bar stock) They have a limited stock of Conway Stewart nibs as well (all stamped Conway Stewart so original as well).

They are also now supplying nibs under the FLAG brand name. The nibs are sourced from the manufacturer who supplied Conway Stewart originally.

So BBP have a, now limited, supply of original Conway Stewart pens available and once these are all sold that will be it unless a miracle happens and the Conway Stewart brand is resurrected Pheonix like from the ashes. I for one hope it is and that the Brand is expanded Montblanc style with associated pen products and even boutiques around the world (One can dream :rolleyes: ).

I have just purchased 3 Conway Stewart pens from them and these are originals and being sent in Conway Stewart leather boxes. I'll post an update when I receive my pens. :thumbup:

The BBP website has information regarding their future plans as well as a list of the owners who I should think would be more than happy to answer questions.

To clarify I do not think they have any plans at all to import Chinese parts but are determined that moving forward British made pens will be exactly that, BRITISH MADE :-)with all constituent parts sourced from British manufacturing suppliers apart from the nibs which I have been informed were of German origin.

Edited by GreyPix

I also purchased an Onoto pen from them at the same time.

It's driving my wife crazy :yikes: as she reasoned I can't use more than one pen at a time. I responded that she doesn't wear all her jewelry at the same time but that doesn't stop that collection from being added to. So I consider this my equivalent :)

Edited by GreyPix

They are also now supplying nibs under the FLAG brand name. The nibs are sourced from the British manufacturer who supplied Conway Stewart originally.

To clarify I do not think they have any plans at all to import Chinese parts but are determined that movingforward British made pens will be exactly that, BRITISH MADE :-)with all constituent parts sourced from British manufacturing suppliers.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know CS installed German nibs,fabricated by BOCK.

Francis

You could be right so I have corrected my original comment.

Edited by GreyPix