How Rare Is Waterman 58?

iveyman

I have bought a few vintage Waterman pens now, including two with pink nib and a Patrician Moss Agate with #8 nib. I became interested in a large vintage Waterman pen after reading on Maurico's website about a Waterman 20 with a #10 nib but decided it is probably too large a pen for my hand to handle writing with it. Then I became interested in the next largest pen Waterman has produced - Waterman 58 with #8 nib. I think I can handle writing with a pen that is 6 inch capped, besides I quite like the #8 nib I have on my Patrician Moss Agate.

Besides looking for a Patrician Turquoise to add to my collection, I am beginning to look for a nice condition Waterman 58 that is either in red ripple or woodgrain, with a #8 medium flex nib. However, I am not finding too many of them around. I have come across may be a couple of red ripples and may be one or two woodgrain ones, not all are with flex nib.

Here is my question: how rare is Waterman 58 in your opinion. Is it worth going after one. Is the woodgrain version more rare and valuable than the red ripple one, assuming both have a moderately flex nib?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Uncle Red

• crescentfiller

• penbeggar107

Iveyman, I don't think anyone would call a 58 Red Ripple or Woodgrain rare. However, it may be quite difficult to find one in the color you want with the nib you want. You may find it easier (and quicker) to buy the pen you like best and then buy another nib. You can always resell the first nib. The Lotts at Fivestarpens.com are wonderful folks and one of the best destinations for parts in general and nibs in particular. I don't see one listed there now, but their stock changes frequently. I am in no way affiliated, other than being a frequently satisfied customer.

Happy hunting,

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

Waterman #18 with a #8 nib is the next largest and like the #20 is also an eyedropper. Made around the same period.Thanks for the tip on 5star maybe they have a Waterman #17 RHR Ripple slip cap.

The 17 was discontinued long before Waterman introduced Ripple rubber.

And in established usage, "RHR" is read as red hard rubber -- just plain orange-red, not mottled or otherwise patterned.

Don't mean to jump on anyone -- seems important that our field's essential abbreviations not lose their clear meanings.

The Waterrman 20 was more of a functional showpiece meant for a shop's front window than a writing tool, from the history about the model I've heard. And they're quite rare anyways.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is that Al Kahn's pen that sold on eBay?

Fred

The pattern on the cap matches line for line.

You can still spend £1000 (wart065) or not.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...

One to watch.

Though you would have thought it deserved better quality pictures especially the nib.

Edited by Force

• 11 months later...

OO, decent pictures for a change. Would love a better picture of the nib though.

That's a red flag for me - only showing 1/2 of the nib. If you're interested, I'd write to the seller for a better shot or two of the nib. Top and underneath.

I know but it's going to be outside my budget by the time the auction's over.

Iveyman, I think that, even if these pens (58s) do crop up, from time to time, you should be prepared for strong prices. A few months ago, I found a lovely BHR 58 on the eBay place and am delighted with it; but it cost me!

You already own a Patrician, apparently, so you are probably probated for that...

Current bidders are just the small fry playing with $$$$$. The BIG boys will come in with 2, maybe even 1 second remaining.

I always categorize 58's as "not rare, just expensive." There are quite a few pens out there that are in high demand, but high enough supply that you see plenty sell, but at high prices.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.