Good Introduction To Indian Ebonite Pens?

tleek

How are the stock Indian nibs? Say on Gama or the like. Are they pretty good quality?

Yes, I've found the stock nib in Gama pens very good. I continue to use them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• tleek

• mhguda

• terim

Same here. Actually the only Indian pens I find myself regularly swapping out the stock nib are the Walitys. I find their F nibs often scratchy and difficult to tune - it's easier to replace them.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I just ordered an ASA I can in mottled tan with a Bock M nib

Cant wait for it to come in. I don't have any silicone grease so I will have to pic one up.

I really can't wait three weeks! I hope it gets here sooner!

Same here. Actually the only Indian pens I find myself regularly swapping out the stock nib are the Walitys. I find their F nibs often scratchy and difficult to tune - it's easier to replace them.

+1 to that

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Cant wait for it to come in. I don't have any silicone grease so I will have to pic one up.

Okay... Amazing... Also you can get grease from ASA also... Drop a email to them...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Congratulations on joining the bandwagon. I wish you much joy of your new pen.

Think of the waiting period as increased joy because of anticipation. When the pen arrives it will be even nicer to have because you had a bit of a wait for it...

I am sure you'll love your pen. I remember waiting for my first ebonite fountain pen I ordered from ASA. It's a joy to use. The wait is horrible though hahaha

:bunny01:

Welcome to the addiction again!

Enjoy your new pen when it comes in. The wait is horrible, I must admit- but the pen will more than make up for it :)

Make sure you have a sharp blade handy when you open it- ASA packs their pens VERY securely. Almost obsessively.

I got my silicone grease from Goulet Pens and it works great. If you need more ink or an ink syringe (which is very handy for filling eyedroppers...) they sell samples and 5ml syringes too. Great customer service. Fast shipping. Competitive prices. No affiliation whatsoever other than being a happy customer.

Alternatively, several people have said that you can find silicone grease in the plumbing sections of hardware stores- but make absolutely certain it's 100% pure silicone grease. Not lithium grease, not silicone caulk (that would be BAD), not anything else. Pure silicone grease.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

:bunny01:

Welcome to the addiction again!

Enjoy your new pen when it comes in. The wait is horrible, I must admit- but the pen will more than make up for it :)

Make sure you have a sharp blade handy when you open it- ASA packs their pens VERY securely. Almost obsessively.

I got my silicone grease from Goulet Pens and it works great. If you need more ink or an ink syringe (which is very handy for filling eyedroppers...) they sell samples and 5ml syringes too. Great customer service. Fast shipping. Competitive prices. No affiliation whatsoever other than being a happy customer.

Alternatively, several people have said that you can find silicone grease in the plumbing sections of hardware stores- but make absolutely certain it's 100% pure silicone grease. Not lithium grease, not silicone caulk (that would be BAD), not anything else. Pure silicone grease.

Yeah, I love Goulet Pens. I can thank them for getting me really into fountain pens to begin with, and I use the little bookmarks they include at all times! I will probably order some grease from them with my next order, but I sent an email to Asa to see if it would be possible to add some to my order.

Yeah, I love Goulet Pens. I can thank them for getting me really into fountain pens to begin with, and I use the little bookmarks they include at all times! I will probably order some grease from them with my next order, but I sent an email to Asa to see if it would be possible to add some to my order.

Sorry for overexplaining then :)

Is the pen that you ordered set up with an Indian feed and the Bock nib, or a Bock nib unit?

If it's the former, it'll be advisable to use an ink you like a lot in it so you can keep it topped off (I'm sure I'm restating several people's advice here but it's valid)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

One thing i want to add...when not using,,,, store the pen keeping pen vertically up ... nib side vertically up....

actually you should keep the pen nib side vertically up when not using....

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

Sorry for overexplaining then :)

Is the pen that you ordered set up with an Indian feed and the Bock nib, or a Bock nib unit?

If it's the former, it'll be advisable to use an ink you like a lot in it so you can keep it topped off (I'm sure I'm restating several people's advice here but it's valid)

My mistake, it is actually a JoWo nib I am pretty sure. I assume just the nib, as I selected German Medium under nib options, and didn't see anything about full nib units. I was really worried about burping, but people seem to have mixed experiences. It would seem that the increase in ink capacity would be irrelevant if the pen has to be kept full, but honestly, this pen is probably going to stay at home and not come to class with me, so keeping it full should not be much of a problem if burping does occur.

Edited by tleek

One thing i want to add...when not using,,,, store the pen keeping pen vertically up ... nib side vertically up....

actually you should keep the pen nib side vertically up when not using....

Okay, makes sense, but would it not be okay to just set it horizontally on my desk for while in between notes and such? Do eyedroppers tend to leak relatively easily?

Thanks again everybody!

Okay, makes sense, but would it not be okay to just set it horizontally on my desk for while in between notes and such? Do eyedroppers tend to leak relatively easily?

Thanks again everybody!

u can certainly keep it horizontally in between notes

vaibhav mehandiratta

I store most of my pens horizontally and have had few issues. I will admit though that when the barrel is almost empty and the pen is horizontal I have seen some instances of leakage into the cap. I would see this when I came back to the pen after some days of not using. The pens that exhibited this behavior are now stored tilted upwards - or emptied out.

But for most pens this has not been necessary, in my experience. Of course, YMMV... I am in a tropical country and have no AC so temperatures range between 25 and 32 centigrade...

Awesome guys, I can't wait, no reply yet about silicone grease but I got an email yesterday saying the pen will be shipped within the next 48 hours! Cannot wait!

And Mr, Mehandiratta, do you anywhere online that carries those inks you use in your reviews? They look nice

Awesome guys, I can't wait, no reply yet about silicone grease but I got an email yesterday saying the pen will be shipped within the next 48 hours! Cannot wait!

And Mr, Mehandiratta, do you anywhere online that carries those inks you use in your reviews? They look nice

those inks will be available with ASA only.... I mix them to get those desired results in certain ratios.

vaibhav mehandiratta

Check out Peyton Street Pens. They have beautiful Ranga ebonies fitted with JoWo, Schmidt and vintage Eversharp nibs. They can take a converter, cartridge or can be used as eyedropper fillers. Ranga also sells directly on Ebay and some of those pens have German steel nibs. I've got a bunch of Indian ebonite pens. The pens are beautiful but the Indian nibs are terrible. However, the feeds are ebonite and it is easy to swap in a better nib and heat fit it to the feed.

Check out Peyton Street Pens. They have beautiful Ranga ebonies fitted with JoWo, Schmidt and vintage Eversharp nibs. They can take a converter, cartridge or can be used as eyedropper fillers. Ranga also sells directly on Ebay and some of those pens have German steel nibs. I've got a bunch of Indian ebonite pens. The pens are beautiful but the Indian nibs are terrible. However, the feeds are ebonite and it is easy to swap in a better nib and heat fit it to the feed.

they are very expensive... at peyton street

vaibhav mehandiratta