Good Introduction To Indian Ebonite Pens?

tleek

Hello everybody, I am pretty new to this site and don't post very often so please forgive me if this is a topic that has come up a time or two.

I recently discovered Fountain Pen Revolution's website and with it the world of Indian ebonite pens. To say they intrigue me would be an understatement. I have been wanting an Ebonite pen forever and the prices really seem right on these.

I was wondering if you had any particular recommendations, or warnings on picking a first pen. So far I have been looking at the Triveni by FPR, the Guider, and the Gama pens. The mottled ebonite really appeals to me.

I have never owned an eyedropper, but have read that they like to burp out ink when not all the way full and I was wondering if this is a common problem?

I would appreciate any feedback, thank you!

-tleek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• tleek

• mhguda

• fountainpagan

I would suggest ASAPens. Since, you are particularly worried about burping and would want an EDC pen. Take a look at ASA Genius which I reviewed or ASA Patriot reviewed by FPN user mehandiratta. The reason I am suggesting these pens are they come with threaded JoWo nib units and a converter. They have finned plastic feeds which prevent burping and since they have JoWo nibs, there is not a QC problems. These pens are 3-1 type pens - converter, cartridge, ED which offers huge flexibility. I hope this was useful

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

ASA Pens (where you can buy Gama) and Ranga (via ebay,and MPKandan is a member of FPN and often joins in on Indian pen threads) both provide very good ebonite pens with cartridge/converter systems and good nibs. Also you will find excellent customer service.

I adore Deccans, too, but unless you buy from someone on FPN like Hari you will find that they are impossible to get hold of. The brushed black finish Deccans are for me real classics.

I have dealt happily with Fountain Pen Revolution before, too. I don't have a Triveni though.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I've got an FPR Triveni, which is my first ebonite pen. It's got horrible feeding issues. Basically ink doesn't wick into the feed as it's used up, so you get a full feed load (which with an EF nib is HUGE - I can do 1.5 - 2 pages in a webby before it starts to skip) and then it runs dry. Twiddle the converter, or unscrew and screw the barrel in ED mode and it will put more ink into the feed and you can write for another 1 - 2 pages.

I've seen a bunch of other reports of ink flow problems on this model. I think I'm close to solving it on mine (and will post when I do), but I don't think this is a good starter pen.

That said, the ebonite feels AMAZING. I'm absolutely going to buy more ebonite pens from FPR or Asapens. There are quite a few models from Indian companies, including several with the nice wide sections that I like.

This was my ~3rd order from FPR. They've been great. Delivery in a reliable time, well packed, with an extra bonus pen in each one. I've got 2 Dillis that work quite well. It's just that this particular pen is finicky. I've not contacted them about it - at first I thought I'd solve my problems easily and now it's a grudge match, complete with scarred up feed, destroyed nib, and hacking on the section.

I really like the looks of the I can, I have never had an eyedropper though and am a little skeptical. The patriot is nice too

I think ASAPens allows Jowo threaded nib units to be attached to the I can pen. This comes witha converter. So, dont be worried

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

I suggest trying a good basic model to see how you like it. Gama Eyas is a great everyday pen at a super price. Go to ASApens $25.

The ASA pens are fine, I have a number of them, but I do have a little trouble with only recommending them.

I too discovered Indian ebonite pens via Fountainpenrevolution web site, and bought my first Guiders from them. As others have said, excellent service, fair prices, and the aftersales support is also stellar.

And there are other options. Look in the Classifieds here for MPKandan of Ranga, for example, or Mesu, who is also an FPN member, just starting out as a pen seller. She has brought together a very nice collection of mostly ebonites. for example Ratnamson, Deccan, Kim, and Guider, in addition to the Guiders and Gamas already mentioned.

Out of all of these, I would suggest you look at the Kims that Mesu offers. Look here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/103501065@N05/sets/72157645256366430/ I think the Kims may be your best choice for a relatively inexpensive eyedropper filled ebonite pen that probably won't blurp when it gets to 1/3 or less of the barrel filled, because they use either original Sheaffer finned feeds, or something that is a good replica. Most other Indian pens that do not blurp are not ED filled and tend to be more expensive.

One exception would be the Asa Athlete, which is an eyedropper-filled pen with a relatively long grip section; this seems to also prevent the infamous blurping, even though their feeds are nothing very special.

Whatever you do, I think you will find a very nice pen from one of the sources of Indian ebonite pens; do let us know what your choice is, and how it works out for you...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The ASA pens are fine, I have a number of them, but I do have a little trouble with only recommending them.

I too discovered Indian ebonite pens via Fountainpenrevolution web site, and bought my first Guiders from them. As others have said, excellent service, fair prices, and the aftersales support is also stellar.

And there are other options. Look in the Classifieds here for MPKandan of Ranga, for example, or Mesu, who is also an FPN member, just starting out as a pen seller. She has brought together a very nice collection of mostly ebonites. for example Ratnamson, Deccan, Kim, and Guider, in addition to the Guiders and Gamas already mentioned.

Out of all of these, I would suggest you look at the Kims that Mesu offers. Look here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/103501065@N05/sets/72157645256366430/ I think the Kims may be your best choice for a relatively inexpensive eyedropper filled ebonite pen that probably won't blurp when it gets to 1/3 or less of the barrel filled, because they use either original Sheaffer finned feeds, or something that is a good replica. Most other Indian pens that do not blurp are not ED filled and tend to be more expensive.

One exception would be the Asa Athlete, which is an eyedropper-filled pen with a relatively long grip section; this seems to also prevent the infamous blurping, even though their feeds are nothing very special.

Whatever you do, I think you will find a very nice pen from one of the sources of Indian ebonite pens; do let us know what your choice is, and how it works out for you...

My I can from ASA has never burped

And also the patriot...

Even gama kuyil of mine has never troubled me...

As far as the prices are concerned Ranga and guider or even deccan are not cheaper than gama or ASA...

I can't comment on KIM... Never used it

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I've had some blurpings, mostly after I took the pen to work. Not the Genius, IIRC, but certainly the I Can and the Galactic. Probably temperatures outside get a bit high, and then when I'm ready to use the pen - inside in the AC - some of them do blurp. But also many others have reported the issue. The Kims, because of the finned feeds I assume, did not blurp ever.

I wanted to suggest a wider range of pens for the OP to look at, not just pens from ASA, even though I like the Gamas and ASAs that I have very much. You're right that most of Deccan's offerings are on the expensive side of the spectrum, but not all. Mesu has an Advocate junior which is a very nice pen and not too expensive. And have you noticed that Ranga's recent new batch is significantly lower-priced than their earlier pens? Mr. Kandan posted a while ago that they are now using a foot-powered lathe and it reduces the time and effort per pen, and this is reflected in the price. In fact I am seriously thinking of adding yet another of his excellent pens to my stable... after I get my two colored Onyxes, that is!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks again for the recommendations everybody, keep them coming!

I really really like the looks of almost all of the pens you guys have mentioned.

The fact that I can get a German nib on the Asa's appeals to me.

Right now I am leaning towards an I Can, but still on the fence!

Kims sound great but I don't know where to find them.

Edited by tleek

I've had some blurpings, mostly after I took the pen to work. Not the Genius, IIRC, but certainly the I Can and the Galactic. Probably temperatures outside get a bit high, and then when I'm ready to use the pen - inside in the AC - some of them do blurp. But also many others have reported the issue. The Kims, because of the finned feeds I assume, did not blurp ever.

I wanted to suggest a wider range of pens for the OP to look at, not just pens from ASA, even though I like the Gamas and ASAs that I have very much. You're right that most of Deccan's offerings are on the expensive side of the spectrum, but not all. Mesu has an Advocate junior which is a very nice pen and not too expensive. And have you noticed that Ranga's recent new batch is significantly lower-priced than their earlier pens? Mr. Kandan posted a while ago that they are now using a foot-powered lathe and it reduces the time and effort per pen, and this is reflected in the price. In fact I am seriously thinking of adding yet another of his excellent pens to my stable... after I get my two colored Onyxes, that is!

Thanks again for the recommendations everybody, keep them coming!

I really really like the looks of almost all of the pens you guys have mentioned.

The fact that I can get a German nib on the Asa's appeals to me.

Right now I am leaning towards an I Can, but still on the fence!

Kims sound great but I don't know where to find them.

I am using ASA I.Can with stock Indian nib... not a problem....

Also if you want to go for JoWo nibs... you will not get the burping problem at all....

So don't worry.... Start with a inexpensive.... These ebonite pens are addictive... u buy one.. u want to buy all....

Gama pens are amazing.... Mesu has ONYX which looks amazing and has Schmidt nib....

I drool over Ranga pens because of the colors.... love their model 5, and bamboo... love the design..and pen

Still I love my mottled brown finish ASA I.Can... Matte black ASA patriot with JoWo 1.1 mm nib

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I was lucky enough to have one of the last ASA Airborne.

They have these F nibs, with a little hardness wich is quite agreable. They are wonderful for drawing.

Right now I am waiting for Onyx to arrive, too.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I only have the ASA spear (green) and I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite pen but I still use it regularly.

I got my Gama Raja from ASA. They have a bit of a wider selection of Gamas, they have cheaper prices, offer dip testing as a free option, have free worldwide shipping (I'm in the U.S. and got my order in almost exactly three weeks) and from what I've heard Mr. Subramaniam is a joy to deal with. No affiliation whatsoever.

If you go the eyedropper route, one non optional accessory you MUST have is silicone grease. Basically, put a good even smear of grease on the section threads before inking up the first time and before every inking. If you don't have the grease on the threads, the pen will leak from the section.

A popular optional modification is to switch out the stock, basic ebonite feed with a Sheaffer No Nonsense feed. I got my feed from a $4 Viewpoint (I think I got mine from either Michael's or Hobby Lobby). It fits Gamas (with #6/35mm nibs, which is most of them) without modification, but I needed a knock out block and a punch to get the old feed out of the Raja and a hacksaw to get the Sheaffer feed out of the Viewpoint (it did NOT want to cooperate no matter what I tried). This modification will significantly lessen the burping issue, maybe even eradicate it altogether. I've written my pen completely dry without a burping issue twice in the month and a half I've owned it (with the Sheaffer feed).

Welcome to the addiction ;)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

Hadn't spotted lower priced Rangas - I shall have to take another look. But right now I'm waiting for that Onyx to arrive, then I have a special commission in mind... too many pens, too little money!

Special commission? Can we sign up too. Please do share, unless, ofcourse it I'd supposed to be one of a kind.

@OP, I started using ebonites only recently and have fallen in love with them. I've carried them (Eyedroppers and Piston fillers in various tank capacity) in a plane without any problems. Also, I have had no problems with getting then to work in 10C - 45C without any flow issues. You'll love them!