Who Uses A Mb Hemmingway As A Daily Writer?

PhilH

i've been using mine everyday for about a month now. after you've gotten over the awe (not an easy thing, and i'm not sure i'm over it), it becomes what it is--another exquisitely crafted pen that writes beautifully, like some others in the rotation, but this will always be handled with extra care.

19237231981_7d296c415f_z.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• penmanila

• KAC

• meiers

My Hemingway and I have been following this topic. He gets very excited when he sees all the photos of his brethren. Reminds him of the old days in Hamburg.

I just read about Montegrappa's history. Ernest Hemingway was an ambulance driver near Montegrappa's factory during WWI.

Close to the ELMO-MONTEGRAPPA factory was situated the Villa Azzalin, which during the conflict. was converted into a field hospital. Two volunteer ambulance drivers for the Italian Red Cross at that time were the famous writers Ernest Hemingway and John Dos Passos, both of whom spent many happy hours visiting the factory and experimenting and testing various MONTEGRAPPA fountain pens. and availing themselves of the Company's "after-sales service".

http://montegrappa-history.com/index.html

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I would like to use it, the problem is the springy and wet F nib that writes like a medium, and my other Hemingway is a M nib, so..... no way!.

The problem is the quality of the papers that we have to write on. For instance in an exam... we can't choose the type / quality of it and if we try to write with this pens its a shame how it looks like.

MY BLOG: PLUMADICCION.COM ;)
Fountain pens, inks, reviews, and more...

i carry this pen around too much ;)

19408949056_7cabfd53d3_z.jpg

Your HEMI is in MINT conditon .... what a nice bright !! :)

Edited by adrianllg

MY BLOG: PLUMADICCION.COM ;)
Fountain pens, inks, reviews, and more...

Well I know I would... Such a shame that it is soo pricey

Ditto. Simple and elegant and with a beautiful 149 nib. Too bad people say that the lips of the cap are delicate.

Well I know I would... Such a shame that it is soo pricey

Have you seen the upcoming Pelikan M800? It is very similar:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293284-new-pelikan-m800-burnt-orange/

I see you posted in that topic, so you did. A guy like you needs one or two of those. I wonder if the price of Hemingways will come down when those come out. Or maybe they will come down now, because the Chinese no longer have any money to spend.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Did Ernest Hemingway own a Montblanc pen?

Fred

I know he owned several Montegrappas but most of the samples I have seen of his writings and notes have been in pencil.

Did Ernest Hemingway own a Montblanc pen?

Fred

Hemingway liked to write his first drafts in pencil.

When you start to write you get all the kick and the reader gets none. So you might as well use a typewriter because it is that much easier and you enjoy it that much more. After you learn to write your whole object is to convey everything, every sensation, sight, feeling, place and emotion to the reader. To do this you have to work over what you write. If you write with a pencil you get three different sights at it to see if the reader is getting what you want him to. First when you read it over; then when it is typed you get another chance to improve it, and again in the proof. Writing it first in pencil gives you one-third more chance to improve it. That is .333 which is a damned good average for a hitter. It also keeps it fluid longer so you can better it easier.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/02/seven_tips_from_ernest_hemingway_on_how_to_write_fiction.html

He died in 1961. One of my earliest memories is of when his death by suicide was announced on television. I had to ask my mother who Hemingway was and what suicide was. She was very uncomfortable explaining this.

As a fountain pen user, he probably did own a Montblanc. I am sure that if there were any evidence of his owning a MB, MB's marketing department—most of the company—would have found it and exploited it by now.

I have one, used it for a while, cleaned and put it back into my collection. Too many other nice pens to use :P .

Ubi bene ibi patria.

Have you seen the upcoming Pelikan M800? It is very similar:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293284-new-pelikan-m800-burnt-orange/

I see you posted in that topic, so you did. A guy like you needs one or two of those. I wonder if the price of Hemingways will come down when those come out. Or maybe they will come down now, because the Chinese no longer have any money to spend.

Oh yes, that pen is on my radar. Personally, I'm more of a Pelikan guy anyway and their 2015 line up really is hard on my wallet.

I don't think the price for MB Hemingway will come down, after all it is a Hemingway, the first WE and it is a MB. It's such a pretty pen but given the chance I'd get the Dumas over it any day of the week. I had the chance to see the mechanical pencil of the Dumas last week and that pen is seriously beautiful. Such a shame that I can't locate a fountain pen right now :D

i carry this pen around too much ;)

19408949056_7cabfd53d3_z.jpg

What are you using to maintain the luster of that pen? I'm assuming you are doing something since you write with it regularly or am I wrong in that respect?

i just give it a good rub with jeweler's cloth once in a while. and yes, i do use the hemingway and carry it with me nearly everyday. when my agatha returns from a nib retipping, that will probably have more pocket time than the hemingway, as the agatha remains my personal favorite by far.

What are you using to maintain the luster of that pen? I'm assuming you are doing something since you write with it regularly or am I wrong in that respect?

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

i just give it a good rub with jeweler's cloth once in a while.

It looks great, reminds me of the first time i handled a 146 at the boutique it looked so shiny :)

My Hemingway, which was purchased new, does not have a lustre. The clip, barrel, and cap have a matte finish. Most pictures that I have seen also show the pen with a matte finish. I think the lustre is a patina developed over time of daily use and polishing. The Hemingway is unique in this regard since most (if not all) the WE pens have a shiny finish.

My Hemingway, which was purchased new, does not have a lustre. The clip, barrel, and cap have a matte finish. Most pictures that I have seen also show the pen with a matte finish. I think the lustre is a patina developed over time of daily use and polishing. The Hemingway is unique in this regard since most (if not all) the WE pens have a shiny finish.

Mine is not, nor ever has been, shiny. Someone complained about all the Parker 51s at the LA Pen Show that were shinier than new Parker 51s ever were.

Interesting, since my Hemingway was purchased new (by me) and it also always has had a matte finish. Nonetheless, the gloss is nice!