Who Uses A Mb Hemmingway As A Daily Writer?

PhilH

Hi there forum

Who uses the Hemingway as a daily writer? How does it perform and what nib size does yours have? Writing samples appreciated. Has anyone modified their nib?

Thanks

Phil

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• penmanila

• KAC

• meiers

I own one but due to its plainness, its one of the pens in my collection I will never use.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I would if I had one. I've been using an Agatha as my daily writer for a couple of years now and have been jonesing for a Hemingway for about that long, but the price always seems to be just a bit out of reach. I thought a lot about what I really liked in the Hemingway and figured it was the big nib and the 139-style clip, and decided that I could get both (and more) in a customized pearl and black Astoria Goliath at half the price--so I did ;) would still love to get a Hemingway one of these days, though.

Check out my blog and my pens

I use my Dumas, which is the same shape and nib with a slightly later plastic feed. It writes well, but I still like my older 149s with the ebonite feeds and more nib flex better. The Dumas can be a little short sometimes as I don't post.

Maybe I'll ink it back up today after writing this. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I purchased my Hemingway when they first came out and have used it as a daily writer on a regular basis. It is currently out of the rotation, but it will be back. The nib is a 149 nib and that is how it writes. Mine is a fine (they came in fine, medium, and bold), but it is really in the extra-fine range.

I purchased mine new when the pen was first released. I use it quite frequently. However, I had MB make a custom medium oblique nib for me shortly after I received the pen; that was the service style back in days of yore. Anyway, the pen writes nicely with but one exception: it tends to skip and then fails to lay an ink track on cheap, coated paper. Since I often write on paper of that pedestrian lineage, I don't use the Hemingway on those occasions. Aside from the 149, this is the only modern MB fp that I own. I much prefer their vintage models.

I tried using mine as a daily writer but actually found it too thick for my tastes on a daily basis. I prefer the size and weight of a 146. My favorite WE for daily use is Schiller.

John

I use mine as a writer, but it has a broad nib, so its not completely practice for everyday use.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I echo the comments about the fine nibs being more like an extra fine... I've had mine inked up for a long time, but only found myself using it sparingly since the nib was too fine for my liking. Just the other day it went out to my favorite nibmeister along with a 149 and 6 Pelikan M800 nibs (I didn't send along the bodies)... hopefully when i get it back, the Hemingway will have more flow and will be used daily. It is a great looking pen and special. I often would post the cap, but sometimes do not, it's good either way. it is not a heavy pen at all...

Do you post the cap on your Hemingway?

No. I seldom post the caps. I post the Pelikan Toledos, for instance. Using Nakayas got me out of the practice of posting, but every now and then, I'll post a Nakaya, too. I think I don't post the Hemingway cos of its size and weight.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

No. I seldom post the caps. I post the Pelikan Toledos, for instance. Using Nakayas got me out of the practice of posting, but every now and then, I'll post a Nakaya, too. I think I don't post the Hemingway cos of its size and weight.

I remember the time that Ether let me fondle her Hemingway at the LA Pen Show. As I recall, it must have been stolen; it had someone else's name on it.

My Hemingway was at home at the time. It has a fine nib and writes like a 149. It was in my rotation when I was in law school, filled with MB Blue-Black—the good old iron-gall kind in the original MB shoe bottle.

As my collection has grown, it gets less use, but it is a beauty and the sort of pen one can use everyday. It is a big pen; I don't post it, but I rarely post any pen—even my M90s.

I sent it to MB in Germany a couple of years ago for a tune-up and oil change. As I recall, the piston was sticky. It cost about $200 to have it refurbished.

At that same show, Ether showed me her Toledos, too. They looked so much better in person than on the web; several have found their way into my pen box.

(Wow, I'm going to have to take a cold shower, now!)

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I use mine occasionally at home.

Actually, my wife doesn't allow me to take my limited editions to work any more, after some pen-injuring accidents (e.g. pen taking a swan dive onto the nib, dropping my 149 in the parking garage and cracking the barrel).

However, my collection has grown enough that no LE pen sees a lot of action in the rotation at home. At work, I use my non-LE pens...149, Pelikan M800, Levengers, etc. I also use some hard-to-replace vintage pens such as Snorkels, Parker 51s, etc.

I like the Hemingway as a daily writer when it is in my rotation. However, I have big hands, so I can see where someone with smaller hands make not be as comfortable using the pen for long periods of time.

I got to use a Hemingway at the Pen Posse meeting yesterday. I am so grateful that folks there are so great. The pen writes like a dream. Even after years of regular use this member's Hemingway still looks new. If I had one myself, I would definitely use it regularly. That big nib makes writing with it very comfortable and a wonderful writing experience.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

Yes, use it somewhat regularly... Purchased with a broad nib - even more stubbish (almost italic) than my 149...

I would love MB to do a normal run, in black, with platinum trim... Man, I would be all over that...

Your ad here.