The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Paperblanks - Einstein 7X9

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 00:28

A4ZZGI2.jpg

uWXVLBV.jpg

The other day I was in Vanness pen shop looking for new gridded Journal.  Lisa said that they did not have any more gridded Rhodia in stock and that I should check out the new Paperblanks books that she ordered recently.

Ad2SYrV.jpg

7iZeUAQ.jpg

They were exactly the size I wanted and the cover was pretty cool too.  There's a picture of Albert Einstein on the back, kind of gritty and and grungy which I  like.  On the front of the book there is a bunch of mathematical equations and cursive writing that looks like German so I can't read it but its textured and it's fun to touch.   There's a magnetic flap on the front of the book which is always fun because it closes itself.  Fun to fiddle with when listening to teachers drone on about... whatever.  ;)

rn1K2mj.jpg

And when you open the front you have a brown interior.   The first page and you're looking at a page full of grids.  There is a little red cloth bookmark in the middle of it and at the back of the book some stuff about Albert Einstein in several languages, and on the very last page of the book is a brown flap/folder thing.

btWk8YF.jpg

Lf0Q9LJ.jpg

I think these are cool even though I never use them.  The paper is smooth but not glass smooth.  It's not toothy at all either which I really hate.  I can't use Red and Black for that reason.  For me it's the it's the perfect texture for all of my pens that I usually write with.  Standard fine, mediums, and occasionally a broad.

The paper took several Iroshizuku inks, some Waterman, J. Herbin, and Stipula inks beautifully.  There is no feathering, bleed through, or show through at all.  It's great paper for inks that shade, too.

TAIUrix.jpg

So Lisa gave me this and told me to review it.  She didn't really know if it was good for fountain pens, but I'll certainly vouch for it.   I think it's wonderful.   There were dozens of varieties and several sizes.  This is 7x9", with paper at 8 3/4" x 6 1/2", which is perfect for sketching fountain pens, which is about all I'll be using it for.  :)

If you are in need of a journal give Mike and Lisa a holler at Vanness Pen (link in my signature) and see what they can fix you up with.  These are listed at about $20 for this size.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 00:57

Yum! I haven't tried the grid paper in these yet.

#3 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:46

I really like the "standard" size Paperblanks. I've used their planners, too.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#4 vannesspen

vannesspen

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:53

A4ZZGI2.jpg

uWXVLBV.jpg

The other day I was in Vanness pen shop looking for new gridded Journal.  Lisa said that they did not have any more gridded Rhodia in stock and that I should check out the new Paperblanks books that she ordered recently.

Ad2SYrV.jpg

7iZeUAQ.jpg

They were exactly the size I wanted and the cover was pretty cool too.  There's a picture of Albert Einstein on the back, kind of gritty and and grungy which I  like.  On the front of the book there is a bunch of mathematical equations and cursive writing that looks like German so I can't read it but its textured and it's fun to touch.   There's a magnetic flap on the front of the book which is always fun because it closes itself.  Fun to fiddle with when listening to teachers drone on about... whatever.  ;)

rn1K2mj.jpg

And when you open the front you have a brown interior.   The first page and you're looking at a page full of grids.  There is a little red cloth bookmark in the middle of it and at the back of the book some stuff about Albert Einstein in several languages, and on the very last page of the book is a brown flap/folder thing.

btWk8YF.jpg

Lf0Q9LJ.jpg

I think these are cool even though I never use them.  The paper is smooth but not glass smooth.  It's not toothy at all either which I really hate.  I can't use Red and Black for that reason.  For me it's the it's the perfect texture for all of my pens that I usually write with.  Standard fine, mediums, and occasionally a broad.

The paper took several Iroshizuku inks, some Waterman, J. Herbin, and Stipula inks beautifully.  There is no feathering, bleed through, or show through at all.  It's great paper for inks that shade, too.

TAIUrix.jpg

So Lisa gave me this and told me to review it.  She didn't really know if it was good for fountain pens, but I'll certainly vouch for it.   I think it's wonderful.   There were dozens of varieties and several sizes.  This is 7x9", with paper at 8 3/4" x 6 1/2", which is perfect for sketching fountain pens, which is about all I'll be using it for.  :)

If you are in need of a journal give Mike and Lisa a holler at Vanness Pen (link in my signature) and see what they can fix you up with.  These are listed at about $20 for this size.

Just saw this- way behind after our ceiling caving fiasco! I fell for the covers and had used the paper with japanese fines; not a true test of paper quality. ThanKS for much needed feedback.

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

#5 LeonW

LeonW

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2015 - 15:22

Nice written review with real pictures. Thanks.

PS. Don't dance on the ceiling...

#6 dannystr78

dannystr78

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:18

Hmm. About 2 years about I tried two of their journals. One was an ultra size (7X9) and had blank pages and one was a midi (5x7) with lined pages. The blank pages were some of the best paper I've used to date (liked it better than most everything but Tomoe River), but the lined pages were awful. Feathering and bleeding far worse than standard copy paper. I wrote to paper blanks and they sent me a replacement journal, and that paper was just as bad. I sent pictures to them but never heard from them again. I've been afraid of buying another paper blanks journal for fear that I will get another stinker. Maybe their quality has become more consistent. Perhaps I'll give them another try.

#7 joeccentric

joeccentric

Tree Hugger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:14

Hmm. About 2 years about I tried two of their journals. One was an ultra size (7X9) and had blank pages and one was a midi (5x7) with lined pages. The blank pages were some of the best paper I've used to date (liked it better than most everything but Tomoe River), but the lined pages were awful. Feathering and bleeding far worse than standard copy paper. I wrote to paper blanks and they sent me a replacement journal, and that paper was just as bad. I sent pictures to them but never heard from them again. I've been afraid of buying another paper blanks journal for fear that I will get another stinker. Maybe their quality has become more consistent. Perhaps I'll give them another try.

http://blog.paperbla.../paper-quality/ this post plus the updated information may explain your awful paper. I wrote to them one time and their reply was that I would have to buy designs made post 2008 to guarantee fountain pen compatibility.  

#8 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:30

Hmm,

I've just ordered 4 of the ultra size (lined) - will have to see how it goes.

I'll have two of them tomorrow, so will report back.

#9 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 20:31

And sadly for me they don't make the grid paper anymore.  So now I'm stuck using Rhodia.  :/  Oh well. 

Anybody have any good recommendations for good grid paper books?  I like a little texture to my paper.  Rhodia is too smooth.

Thanks.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#10 jsolares

jsolares

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 20:47

And sadly for me they don't make the grid paper anymore.  So now I'm stuck using Rhodia.  :/  Oh well. 

Anybody have any good recommendations for good grid paper books?  I like a little texture to my paper.  Rhodia is too smooth.

Thanks.

See if you can find Black n' Red, they do have grid and it's not as smooth imho.

#11 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2015 - 22:49

Very hard to find in Australia. My one only experience was several years adjoined they were ok. I think I found them in a gift shop at the airport. Generally they are a bit too decorative for me. I like my journals plain and simple, such as Clairefontaine Essentials. Excellent review - thank you.

Posted Image

#12 luvpens

luvpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 17:22

Mine arrived today so gave them a quick test.

The lined paper is indeed fp friendly.

I tried a fine nib to see if it dragged on the paper, but all was good.

I then tried a wet writer and can confirm that ghosting was absolutely minimal, so both sides of the page can be used no problem. Bleed through was zero.

All good imo and very nice attractive journals.

#13 drawline

drawline

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 19:38

I have gotten several with blank paper over the years. I dont know how much it differs from the grid ones. The paper is laid like this: https://upload.wikim...lustration2.jpg, ivory, and very smooth and it has a slight fragrance to it.

I mostly use a dry pen in it with a HoD + Bulletproof black mix and it works great. With wetter inks/pen/brush combos there is some slight feathering.

A landscape format book that I got as a present not long ago had different more typical no name stationary notebook paper in it, white and thick and waxy and bad performing.

#14 LuckyKate

LuckyKate

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 19:07

I love paperblanks!

Thanks.

Midori makes grid paper I think. I use the Midori Md and MD cotton (the blank A5 and A4) and absolutely love it--texture but no tooth. It is wonderful. The cheapest way to get it is Rakuten. The Journal Shop sells it too if you want to try it out.

#15 drawline

drawline

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 20:30

I've been afraid of buying another paper blanks journal for fear that I will get another stinker. Maybe their quality has become more consistent. Perhaps I'll give them another try.

I have gone through as many as 10 Ultras (portrait format) with blank paper and I dont think you can go wrong with them.

And I take back what I said about feathering, it is too strong of a word. I think I have felt performance was different coming off extremely well performed inks, like Kiwa Guro (that sits ontop of the page), or bulletproof black out of a dry pen. Which is to be expected. Not that there is hardcore feathering.

Sponsored Content

|