Mb 90Th Nibs

Jd16

Following a recent discussion at FP Geeks, I found I was able to remove the nib of my 90th anniversary 149 by simply unscrewing it. Now, I'm curious: if I were to send the pen back to MB for a nib swap, would it be returned with the new nib (perhaps a nice BB) as well as the original, medium nib?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

(The pen is more than six weeks old so I would have to buy the nib)

post-114425-0-00615700-1425796310_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jd16

• Frank C

• Vlad Soare

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did you unscrew it? Using some special tools?

In fact, oredering MB to exchange the nib, you will receive your pen with the new nib + your old nib, as you paid for it. If the exchange was done inside the allowed in the first weeks, you would receive only the pen with tne new nib.

I heard they were easy to unscrew now.

Yes, if you buy a new nib, you will get your old one back as well. That's always been the case.

I wonder if they will give you the whole screw in unit or just the metal nib back though. Anyone tried yet and know?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the responses. The nib unit unscrews without any special tools, just finger pressure.

My AD has confirmed that MB would replace the nib, but it would not be returned inside a nib unit. It still requires proprietary tools to replace the nib, and he doesn't believe MB will offer nib units for sale in the future. Sadly.

This warrants a subsequent report. I was told by the MB "boutique" in SF that a "nib exchange" within the alloted time window was just that: an exchange. It was not "two nibs for the price of one" and I would not receive the original nib along with the new one. So, I ordered the nib I originally wanted (more or less) and thereby obviated the potential for subsequent annoying, frustrating, aggravating and exasperating problems.

I wonder if they will give you the whole screw in unit or just the metal nib back though. Anyone tried yet and know?

You only get the actual nib back, without the feed and nib housing. Just the metal part.

I would so love to have an interchangeable nib unit and have to admit that I got my hopes up, and am feeling a little disappointed.

I would so love to have an interchangeable nib unit and have to admit that I got my hopes up, and am feeling a little disappointed.

The only way I know to get another nib with feed and housing from Mont Blanc is to buy another pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Or to remove the nib and feed and housing, then send the empty pen to Montblanc for repair. Though my guess is that it would cost more than a regular nib exchange (which in itself is expensive enough already).

Edited by Vlad Soare

I really liked the nib photo that started this topic. I decided to get my own nib, feed, and housing. A few emails and phone calls later, and three pens are on their way here now, one of each size. Fountain Pen Hospital in New York had them in stock. They told me that as of the first of this year, Mont Blanc Germany recalled all the 90th Anniversary nibs from MB USA. The pink gold pens will be part of the regular series, but with a regular nib.

I do like MB pens and used a 146 Fine nib as my exam pen in law school. I have never bought another, because they all look the same. I did miss out on the Burgundy and the silver trim when they were available, so I decided to take the plunge on these. I guess that I can sell them if I don't like them, but having said that, I have never sold a pen. I have given a few away. Don't bother asking—these won't be gifts anytime soon.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.