Sailor Pen & Message Cigar

lgsoltek

Cigar is an astonishing ink. I don't normally like brown inks but this one I love! I hesitated before buying it, not knowing whether if I would like such colour, but now I'm crazy for this ink.

It writes as a green black and dries to a yellow/green/brown with red sheen. Photos don't do it justice. You have to see it in action with your own eyes. The colour can't be more complex.

Also it has some kind of water-resistence, and you can see its complex colour.

Splash

(Photo and scan)

http://s3.homezz.com/201503/5915/49947_o.jpg

Writing sample

(Pilot Heritage 912 FA and Maruman loose leaf)

http://s2.homezz.com/201503/5915/49951_o.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Chrissy

• lgsoltek

• haruka337

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love this ink!

Look how it washes away . . . :wub:

Thank you for posting more images of it . . .

I fell for it's cousin "Brown Algae" BIG TIME, when a friend sent me a sample. Gutted I didn't add a bottle of Cigar at the time of ordering.

This is my favorite ink. Hands down. The stuff is magic. Goes down green. Dries to a green-brown-gold and on hard paper it pools to brown red because it has freakish, almost matte, sheen. This is the ink of the gods.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

This is my favorite ink. Hands down. The stuff is magic. Goes down green. Dries to a green-brown-gold and on hard paper it pools to brown red because it has freakish, almost matte, sheen. This is the ink of the gods.

+1

I do LOVE this ink.. and I do love Brown inks...... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

interesting brown. it is certainly much more earthy and greyish than what i'm used to seeing and using. but nice just the same. it certainly is a 'cigar' brown. the perfect brown for formal writing.

-rudy-

I need this ink. Is there any way to get one's hands on some?

Easiest way is CoolJapan on ebay, $40 shipped to you. Cheapest way, if you buy at least three bottles of ink from the shop, is to use White Rabbit Express. For WRE, I'd guess $30-$32 per bottle for three, and down to $25-$27 for 10-20 bottles.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Easiest way is CoolJapan on ebay, $40 shipped to you. Cheapest way, if you buy at least three bottles of ink from the shop, is to use White Rabbit Express. For WRE, I'd guess $30-$32 per bottle for three, and down to $25-$27 for 10-20 bottles.

AND THANK YOU AGAIN! My Cigar came today after I filled up a Tortoise shelled Krone with a BB nib......... I thought I had died & gone to Heaven! ( I knew "better" as I doubt that is a place my passport will be stamped! ) The complexity of color & shading is just unbelievable. Cool Japan & you make a FINE TEAM!

Now what about this Hakase ink?

Is this by special request? I don't find the ink on CoolJapan's listings.

Is this by special request? I don't find the ink on CoolJapan's listings.

Hi jasonchickerson,

Yes if you contact him through his ebay store, he should get back to you within a couple of hours. His ebay store features the Kobe inks, but you can order all other Sailor store exclusive inks (Maruzen, Kingdom Note, SankoDo, Pen & Message, Onago Iro, Bung Box....) by messaging him directly. I reached out to him this week for yet another order of Sailors :headsmack:

Hope this helps!

AND THANK YOU AGAIN! My Cigar came today after I filled up a Tortoise shelled Krone with a BB nib......... I thought I had died & gone to Heaven! ( I knew "better" as I doubt that is a place my passport will be stamped! ) The complexity of color & shading is just unbelievable. Cool Japan & you make a FINE TEAM!

Now what about this Hakase ink?

Glad to help! The Hakase ink will be tough, the humongous price has so far prevented me from acquiring it. You could get it from CoolJapan, though I don't know how much that would cost. Alternatively, Kingdom Note has it on their online store, so you could get it through White Rabbit Express, though then it will still be $70 before any shipping or fees. If you go with WRE, I suggest making the fees worth it by purchasing some of KN's Sailor exclusive inks and perhaps a Pelikan at the crazy low Japanese prices while you're at it.

Hi jasonchickerson,

Yes if you contact him through his ebay store, he should get back to you within a couple of hours. His ebay store features the Kobe inks, but you can order all other Sailor store exclusive inks (Maruzen, Kingdom Note, SankoDo, Pen & Message, Onago Iro, Bung Box....) by messaging him directly. I reached out to him this week for yet another order of Sailors :headsmack:

Hope this helps!

Oh bstnnyc, what did you get this time? :D

Oh bstnnyc, what did you get this time? :D

haha well between your and visvamitra's latest temptations of brown ink reviews and comparisons, I caved and decided to get some too :P ! The only brownish Sailor I have is Cigar, so I just ordered two brown Kobes: #16 and #39. And because I'm a sucker for blues I decided to get two more of those too: Kobe #50 and Kingdom Note Entoloma Virescens, which looked amazing in Saskia's review! My New Year's resolution allows for only 2 Sailors per month and with all of the beautiful comparisons and reviews that everyone has been posting I've gone through half of the yearly Sailor ink budget since January :doh: Which ones are you thinking of ordering next?

Glad to help! The Hakase ink will be tough, the humongous price has so far prevented me from acquiring it. You could get it from CoolJapan, though I don't know how much that would cost. Alternatively, Kingdom Note has it on their online store, so you could get it through White Rabbit Express, though then it will still be $70 before any shipping or fees. If you go with WRE, I suggest making the fees worth it by purchasing some of KN's Sailor exclusive inks and perhaps a Pelikan at the crazy low Japanese prices while you're at it.

Thank you again for your advice. I just wanted to know if this would be the "third requirement" to be in the "Kool Kids Klub" of inks! And to know if it was something Cool Japan would be able to obtain for me. He has certainly provided well so far for me so I will probably ask him about it. I have the four previous Bung Box with two more to be shipped, now Cigar & am deciding which Kobes I likewise need from him. I want to see Dandyism before I commit to any dark greens in the Kobe line. So I will probably be happy to pay more to Cool Japan than purchasing "more" from White Rabbit to "save" on the shipping. (I have a M800 Tortoise from Pelikan & unless they offer a white one in that size I probably don't want another." Currently I want to start having some nib work done before I purchase any more pens. (He said with last week's purchase due to be delivered later today!) Again thank you for your help.

haha well between your and visvamitra's latest temptations of brown ink reviews and comparisons, I caved and decided to get some too :P ! The only brownish Sailor I have is Cigar, so I just ordered two brown Kobes: #16 and #39. And because I'm a sucker for blues I decided to get two more of those too: Kobe #50 and Kingdom Note Entoloma Virescens, which looked amazing in Saskia's review! My New Year's resolution allows for only 2 Sailors per month and with all of the beautiful comparisons and reviews that everyone has been posting I've gone through half of the yearly Sailor ink budget since January :doh: Which ones are you thinking of ordering next?

Haha we are really inky twins! My New Year resolution is also 2 Sailor inks per month and I've already spent the quota for June! I'm waiting for an Onago-iro Honey (which I hope can make a nice substitute for Apricot which I've always wanted to own but never had the chance!) Apart from that I think I'm on hiatus for the moment. I've looked at some Kobe samples but they haven't made great impressions on me yet. What other Kobe inks do you own? Maybe I'll like them as well :D

Also I don't think you'll be disappointed with Entoloma virescens. It's quite a nice colour!

Edited by Lgsoltek

It could be a good idea to have one of us to do a group order and then send it to the others.

Of course, the group order would be passed and valid only after everybody has sent the money to the one organising the group order.

We could, this way, have a better price per bottle, non?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

It could be a good idea to have one of us to do a group order and then send it to the others.

Of course, the group order would be passed and valid only after everybody has sent the money to the one organising the group order.

We could, this way, have a better price per bottle, non?

I've done that.. the best price I can get is approx $25/bottle which is not too shabby.

Note that I can get that price because there was no re-shipping fee involved. If the organizer gets it and then has to re-ship to the rest, then you won't get much savings. WRE might be the best way ($30-$35).

If you can get a group buy going in your own city, where everyone can pick up their bottle at the next meet (for example)... then YES... it works quite well. :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,