An Intuitive Conversation With The Graf Von Faber-Castell Intuition

sannidh

Jar, wonder whether the pernambucos have a lighter lacquer coat compared to your other GvFC wooden pens? (is the feel different)

Not that I can notice. The different woods do feel slightly different, densities and size of grain as examples but I don't think GvFC uses lacquer on most woods, rather it feels like a wax coating. The Ebony seems to have the tightest grain followed closely by the Grenadilla and the Pernambuco the most open grained. In this picture the top left is an Ebony Anello, below that is Grenadilla and on the right two Pernambuco bodies.

My Website

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• jar

• FountainPages

• ernieh

Not that I can notice. The different woods do feel slightly different, densities and size of grain as examples but I don't think GvFC uses lacquer on most woods, rather it feels like a wax coating. The Ebony seems to have the tightest grain followed closely by the Grenadilla and the Pernambuco the most open grained. In this picture the top left is an Ebony Anello, below that is Grenadilla and on the right two Pernambuco bodies.

Even the pernambuco looks slightly different in both the pictures you have taken. I guess you can feel the difference rather :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review and pictures. I handled one a couple of years ago and it was what set me on the search for a big red/terracotta coloured pen, which remains unfulfilled.

I found this one a bit uncomfortable to handle because of the lack of any real section, but that's just my lousy fingers. Congratulations on the lovely purchase. There is a larger version of the Intuition, I believe?

Thanks for the review and pictures. I handled one a couple of years ago and it was what set me on the search for a big red/terracotta coloured pen, which remains unfulfilled.

I found this one a bit uncomfortable to handle because of the lack of any real section, but that's just my lousy fingers. Congratulations on the lovely purchase. There is a larger version of the Intuition, I believe?

The Plantino versions are slightly larger. The resin ones use the same nib as the standard and the wood versions use a much larger nib.

My Website

So the resin Intuition Platino (available only in black, I think) has the same-size nib as the standard-sized Intuition (which is available in Ivory, Terra, and Black)? Good to know, as I thought all Intuition Platino pens (resin or wood) had the same larger nib, and I was on the lookout for a resin Platino (as it's a good $150 or so cheaper than a wood Platino). I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a wood Platino after all, then!

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

So the resin Intuition Platino (available only in black, I think) has the same-size nib as the standard-sized Intuition (which is available in Ivory, Terra, and Black)? Good to know, as I thought all Intuition Platino pens (resin or wood) had the same larger nib, and I was on the lookout for a resin Platino (as it's a good $150 or so cheaper than a wood Platino). I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a wood Platino after all, then!

Yes, that is very disappointing news. The black resin Platino was a serious consideration for my first high end pen. I'll consider a wooden version, but I really prefer resin.

Edited by J85909266

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Thank you. As jar has already mentioned a platino version would be better suited for your hands.

Intution vs Elemento

The elemento has a bigger nib (like Jar already said), heavier and wider grip when compared to the intuition.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_3250_zpsgoqz1uqn.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. Your photos are beautiful. I have an Intuition in Terracotta as well. Ink was an easy choice for this pen, I filled it with Diamine Anniversary Terracotta ink. The colors are close enough, but not a total match. We have quite a few terra-cotta tiles in Las Vegas; none of them is the same color, either.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you Frank, for going through the photos and the review. I believe you have got a closer ink in your collection :thumbup: . I used some MB Toffee Brown in it, not quite the best match though. The usual terracotta of the East has some of this colour. Looks a shade towards more brown. Do the tiles there match this color?

Edited by soniknitr

Thank you Frank, for going through the photos and the review. I believe you have got a closer ink in your collection :thumbup: . I used some MB Toffee Brown in it, not quite the best match though. The usual terracotta of the East has some of this colour. Looks a shade towards more brown. Do the tiles there match this color?

I have many rules for inking my pens, and matching color to pen is one of them. Of course, when both pen and ink have a "strange" color name in them—like terracotta—they are a match. I will look at the MB Toffee brown, next, though. That would fulfill another ink rule of mine: Inks and Pens should come from the same company or at least country, or a nearby country.

People have tried to understand my ink rules; here is an attempt:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245296-pen-and-ink-filling-rules-how-do-you-choose-ink-pen-combinations/

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I have many rules for inking my pens, and matching color to pen is one of them. Of course, when both pen and ink have a "strange" color name in them—like terracotta—they are a match. I will look at the MB Toffee brown, next, though. That would fulfill another ink rule of mine: Inks and Pens should come from the same company or at least country, or a nearby country.

People have tried to understand my ink rules; here is an attempt:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245296-pen-and-ink-filling-rules-how-do-you-choose-ink-pen-combinatio

I usually follow the continent (near country) rule for now..I will go through this post..thanks for sharing (looks very interesting) :D

Edited by soniknitr

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have trouble with the feed not keeping up with your writing and going dry? Both my Intuitions do this,

any remedy? I have flushed both several times, that does not help. BTW...very nice collections both Jar and Soniknitr!

Hello,

I have the same problem in my terracotta. Sometimes the ink flows to much, others it gets a bit dry. This is not a very plesure writtng for me, a pitty beacouse this is, for me, the most beautiful pen (somith deco and modernistic).

The cartridge test, did it work?

Edited by richardzimmermann33

Hello,

I have the same problem in my terracotta. Sometimes the ink flows to much, others it gets a bit dry. This is not a very plesure writtng for me, a pitty beacouse this is, for me, the most beautiful pen (somith deco and modernistic).

The cartridge test, did it work?

A few people had this problem with Faber Castell FPs. It might be a problem with the converter rather than the feed itself.

In my ondoro FP, some air gap (bubbled) developed between the feed end and ink level of the converter (waterman ink), which restricted the ink flow. I usually fill up the converters completely to their end-stop.

If this is the case, you can just drain a few drops of ink out of the pen, then quickly turn the converter piston-rod clockwise to the end stop, so that the air-gap is transferred to piston end from the feed end. At least some upper air pressure is necessary :D for ink flow, that's why the cartridge test.

PS - This problem happens only with the converter which came with the ondoro FP.

Best,

Sonik

• 2 years later...

Wow, beautiful pen. There seem to be several Graf Von Faber dealers in Southern Ontario, but they don't carry the Intuition.

I've had my eye on the Intuition for some time now, but I didn't realize how small it is. I'm afraid it is too small for my barbarian fingers. Ah well. Truly a beautiful pen!

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I have a Black Platino (resin so wider body, smaller nib) and width wise it's superb and very comfortable, possibly the msot comfortable to use I own (and I have a number of OMAS 360s). I can see it being a little too short for some one with large hands unless posted, but then that causes the balance to move towards the rear due to the weight on the cap.

• 9 months later...

Wow, beautiful pen. There seem to be several Graf Von Faber dealers in Southern Ontario, but they don't carry the Intuition.

Thanks a lot (and lot belated too :)) ! I find it's easily available online, though you would be more interested to personally try and get a feel of the otherwise beautiful pen.

I've had my eye on the Intuition for some time now, but I didn't realize how small it is. I'm afraid it is too small for my barbarian fingers. Ah well. Truly a beautiful pen!

:)

The platino versions are more suitable in case you find the pen too puny. It does feel a bit short, though with a comfortable girth. The elemento in this link has the same dimensions as the intuition platinos.

I have a Black Platino (resin so wider body, smaller nib) and width wise it's superb and very comfortable, possibly the msot comfortable to use I own (and I have a number of OMAS 360s). I can see it being a little too short for some one with large hands unless posted, but then that causes the balance to move towards the rear due to the weight on the cap.

Yes I found the same, though for my hands it's not much of a problem. Thank you for sharing :)

Edited by sannidh

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I have been looking up information about GVFC Intuition Platino fountain pen and found this thread. Very informative and useful.

I am aware of many discussions online about the ink flow/drying up/hard start issue of this nice pen. Do you find a fix?

I am thinking if switching the feed to an ebonite one will make it (but not sure if there is ebonite alternative out there in the market). Alternatively, will using GVFC ink resolve the issue? I note from its website describing its ink as "The excellent quality shows itself in the even flow of ink and the fact that you can start writing with the fountain pen almost immediately, even after long breaks."

Welcome your input.

Cheers,

ernieh

I personally own quite a few different Intuitions. I find that out of the ones I have, the only one that dries out is the one with the bigger nib which momentarily I forget the name of. My personal Intuition Platino is one of my favorite pens and I don't have any problems with the pen.

Using the GVFC inks are fine but they are on the drier side which might make the problem worse. If you want to make sure that the pen does not dry out, try a more lubricated Japanese ink like Iroshizuku or Sailor Jentle. Also go for the blue inks as their chemical makeup makes them less prone to drying out. I know because I have a retracting nib pen that for all intents and purposes functions like a pen with no cap. I found lubricated blue inks work best and don't dry out as quickly as inks of other colors, especially black and red.

Hello there,

I have been looking up information about GVFC Intuition Platino fountain pen and found this thread. Very informative and useful.

I am aware of many discussions online about the ink flow/drying up/hard start issue of this nice pen. Do you find a fix?

I am thinking if switching the feed to an ebonite one will make it (but not sure if there is ebonite alternative out there in the market). Alternatively, will using GVFC ink resolve the issue? I note from its website describing its ink as "The excellent quality shows itself in the even flow of ink and the fact that you can start writing with the fountain pen almost immediately, even after long breaks."

Welcome your input.

Cheers,
ernieh