The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

An Intuitive Conversation With The Graf Von Faber-Castell Intuition

graf von faber-castell intuition terra m400 mb146 ambition fine gvfc white tortoise two-tone

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:59

Jar, wonder whether the pernambucos have a lighter lacquer coat compared to your other GvFC wooden pens? (is the feel different)

Not that I can notice.  The different woods do feel slightly different, densities and size of grain as examples but I don't think GvFC uses lacquer on most woods, rather it feels like a wax coating. The Ebony seems to have the tightest grain followed closely by the Grenadilla and the Pernambuco the most open grained.  In this picture the top left is an Ebony Anello, below that is Grenadilla and on the right two Pernambuco bodies.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

#22 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:40

Not that I can notice.  The different woods do feel slightly different, densities and size of grain as examples but I don't think GvFC uses lacquer on most woods, rather it feels like a wax coating. The Ebony seems to have the tightest grain followed closely by the Grenadilla and the Pernambuco the most open grained.  In this picture the top left is an Ebony Anello, below that is Grenadilla and on the right two Pernambuco bodies.

Even the pernambuco looks slightly different in both the pictures you have taken. I guess you can feel the difference rather :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

#23 hsianloon

hsianloon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:20

Thanks for the review and pictures. I handled one a couple of years ago and it was what set me on the search for a big red/terracotta coloured pen, which remains unfulfilled.

I found this one a bit uncomfortable to handle because of the lack of any real section, but that's just my lousy fingers. Congratulations on the lovely purchase. There is a larger version of the Intuition, I believe?

#24 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 13:27

Thanks for the review and pictures. I handled one a couple of years ago and it was what set me on the search for a big red/terracotta coloured pen, which remains unfulfilled.

I found this one a bit uncomfortable to handle because of the lack of any real section, but that's just my lousy fingers. Congratulations on the lovely purchase. There is a larger version of the Intuition, I believe?

The Plantino versions are slightly larger. The resin ones use the same nib as the standard and the wood versions use a much larger nib.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#25 ParkerBeta

ParkerBeta

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 22:44

So the resin Intuition Platino (available only in black, I think) has the same-size nib as the standard-sized Intuition (which is available in Ivory, Terra, and Black)?  Good to know, as I thought all Intuition Platino pens (resin or wood) had the same larger nib, and I was on the lookout for a resin Platino (as it's a good $150 or so cheaper than a wood Platino).  I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a wood Platino after all, then!

S.T. Dupont Defi with (steel) F nib
Montegrappa Nero Uno Linea M nib
Visconti Sterling Silver Skeleton M nib
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age EF nib

#26 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 23:33

So the resin Intuition Platino (available only in black, I think) has the same-size nib as the standard-sized Intuition (which is available in Ivory, Terra, and Black)?  Good to know, as I thought all Intuition Platino pens (resin or wood) had the same larger nib, and I was on the lookout for a resin Platino (as it's a good $150 or so cheaper than a wood Platino).  I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a wood Platino after all, then!

Yes, that is very disappointing news. The black resin Platino was a serious consideration for my first high end pen. I'll consider a wooden version, but I really prefer resin.

Edited by J85909266, 21 March 2015 - 23:36.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#27 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2015 - 14:24

Thank you. As jar has already mentioned a platino version would be better suited for your hands.

#28 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:29

Intution vs Elemento

The elemento has a bigger nib (like Jar already said), heavier and wider grip when compared to the intuition.

IMG_3250_zpsgoqz1uqn.jpg

#29 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 13:40

Thanks for the review. Your photos are beautiful. I have an Intuition in Terracotta as well. Ink was an easy choice for this pen, I filled it with Diamine Anniversary Terracotta ink. The colors are close enough, but not a total match. We have quite a few terra-cotta tiles in Las Vegas; none of them is the same color, either.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#30 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:58

Thank you Frank, for going through the photos and the review. I believe you have got a closer ink in your collection :thumbup: . I used some MB Toffee Brown in it, not quite the best match though. The usual terracotta of the East has some of this colour. Looks a shade towards more brown. Do the tiles there match this color?

Edited by soniknitr, 24 April 2015 - 12:59.

#31 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 13:04

Thank you Frank, for going through the photos and the review. I believe you have got a closer ink in your collection :thumbup: . I used some MB Toffee Brown in it, not quite the best match though. The usual terracotta of the East has some of this colour. Looks a shade towards more brown. Do the tiles there match this color?

I have many rules for inking my pens, and matching color to pen is one of them. Of course, when both pen and ink have a "strange" color name in them—like terracotta—they are a match. I will look at the MB Toffee brown, next, though. That would fulfill another ink rule of mine: Inks and Pens should come from the same company or at least country, or a nearby country. 

People have tried to understand my ink rules; here is an attempt:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245296-pen-and-ink-filling-rules-how-do-you-choose-ink-pen-combinations/ 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#32 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2015 - 13:17

I have many rules for inking my pens, and matching color to pen is one of them. Of course, when both pen and ink have a "strange" color name in them—like terracotta—they are a match. I will look at the MB Toffee brown, next, though. That would fulfill another ink rule of mine: Inks and Pens should come from the same company or at least country, or a nearby country. 

People have tried to understand my ink rules; here is an attempt:

http://www.fountainp...-pen-combinatio

I usually follow the continent (near country) rule for now..I will go through this post..thanks for sharing (looks very interesting)  :D

Edited by soniknitr, 24 April 2015 - 13:17.

#33 richardzimmermann33

richardzimmermann33

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 21:55

Anyone have trouble with the feed not keeping up with your writing and going dry? Both my Intuitions do this,
any remedy? I have flushed both several times, that does not help. BTW...very nice collections both Jar and Soniknitr!

Hello,

I have the same problem in my terracotta. Sometimes the ink flows to much, others it gets a bit dry. This is not a very plesure writtng for me, a pitty beacouse this is, for me, the most beautiful pen (somith deco and modernistic). 

The cartridge test, did it work?

Edited by richardzimmermann33, 16 May 2015 - 21:56.

#34 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:15

Hello,

I have the same problem in my terracotta. Sometimes the ink flows to much, others it gets a bit dry. This is not a very plesure writtng for me, a pitty beacouse this is, for me, the most beautiful pen (somith deco and modernistic). 

The cartridge test, did it work?

A few people had this problem with Faber Castell FPs. It might be a problem with the converter rather than the feed itself. 

In my ondoro FP, some air gap (bubbled) developed between the feed end and ink level of the converter (waterman ink), which restricted the ink flow. I usually fill up the converters completely to their end-stop.  

If this is the case, you can just drain a few drops of ink out of  the pen, then quickly turn the converter piston-rod clockwise to the end stop, so that the air-gap is transferred to piston end from the feed end. At least some upper air pressure is necessary :D for ink flow, that's why the cartridge test.

PS - This problem happens only with the converter which came with the ondoro FP. 

Best,

Sonik

#35 Weaveras

Weaveras

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:38

Wow, beautiful pen. There seem to be several Graf Von Faber dealers in Southern Ontario, but they don't carry the Intuition.

#36 Kodiac136

Kodiac136

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 14:37

I've had my eye on the Intuition for some time now, but I didn't realize how small it is. I'm afraid it is too small for my barbarian fingers. Ah well. Truly a beautiful pen!

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why." 

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

#37 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2018 - 16:44

I have a Black Platino (resin so wider body, smaller nib) and width wise it's superb and very comfortable, possibly the msot comfortable to use I own (and I have a number of OMAS 360s).  I can see it being a little too short for some one with large hands unless posted, but then that causes the balance to move towards the rear due to the weight on the cap.

#38 sannidh

sannidh

Finding Eternity

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:04

Wow, beautiful pen. There seem to be several Graf Von Faber dealers in Southern Ontario, but they don't carry the Intuition.

Thanks a lot (and lot belated too :)) ! I find it's easily available online, though you would be more interested to personally try and get a feel of the otherwise beautiful pen. 

I've had my eye on the Intuition for some time now, but I didn't realize how small it is. I'm afraid it is too small for my barbarian fingers. Ah well. Truly a beautiful pen!

:)

The platino versions are more suitable in case you find the pen too puny. It does feel a bit short, though with a comfortable girth. The elemento in this link has the same dimensions as the intuition platinos.

I have a Black Platino (resin so wider body, smaller nib) and width wise it's superb and very comfortable, possibly the msot comfortable to use I own (and I have a number of OMAS 360s).  I can see it being a little too short for some one with large hands unless posted, but then that causes the balance to move towards the rear due to the weight on the cap.

Yes I found the same, though for my hands it's not much of a problem. Thank you for sharing :)

Edited by sannidh, 19 January 2019 - 11:04.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graf von faber-castell, intuition, terra, m400, mb146, ambition, fine, gvfc, white tortoise, two-tone

Sponsored Content

|