The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Petit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 J-san

J-san

Certifiably awesome

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 23:56

Here's a look at a neat little pocket pen from Pilot called the Petit.

- Design, Fit & Finish -

The Petit is an all-plastic pen, save for the nib. The pen comes in a variety of colours like apple green, apricot orange, and Takoizu green to name a few. The body and clip are tinted to whatever colour you bought, while the cap remains clear. The "Petit 1" logo is printed on the pen's midsection and is the only marking on the body. The Petit is a stout little pen at 14.3mm at its thickest diameter and a scant 10.3cm long capped and just under 13cm posted. The fit of the parts is superb and capping produces a nice, hearty snap. The cap is held in place by friction when posted and has a fairly solid grip - no worries about losing the cap while signing a receipt.

I give Pilot points for designing sucha cute little pod of refill ink cartridges. It even has a little lanyard hole so you can clip it to your bookbag, purse, what have you.

user posted image
user posted image

- Nib and writing -

The fine nib is a simple sheet of metal with a smooth, round tip. On my piece, I noticed the nib lacked a breather hole, but had a circular stamping in its place. Perhaps it is supposed to have an actual hole there and my pen was the unlucky duck that didn't get a fully formed breather. But, as it is, the pen writes just fine. The nib is slightly flexible, but does not give much line width variation (if any at all). Increasing pressure only serves to flex the nib as a whole unit without spreading the tines at all. Perhaps that is a result of my pen lacking a true breather hole.

user posted image

The Petit came loaded with an ink cart and immediately put down a wet line when I put the nib to paper. The included ink seems to feather a bit on standard printer paper and newsprint, but not at all (or very little) on higher quality paper like resume paper and Moleskine paper. The ink is somewhat water resistant and will smudge if a drop of water falls on it, but the majority of the line remains and is still readable. I swapped out the factory ink for Noodler's black and the pen put down a darker line without feathering. I like my ink to be permanent, so I'll leave the Noodler's in there.

The ink cart is readily visible through the translucent body, making it easy to know when a refill is needed. Unfortunately, the ink capacity is small compared to larger pens, but the Petit was intended for use as a stowaway writing instrument and not as a daily writer.

- Final Thoughts -

Pilot has put together a very nice little pen, perfect for the purse or pocket. I carried my Petit around for a day in a variety of ways: clipped to my shirt pocket, in my pants pocket, and clipped to the hem of my pants pocket. It was easy to tote around and barely noticeable, thanks to its all-plastic construction making it very light weight. The pen served as a quick conversation piece after I got a few compliments on it being so cute. I guess it is a "cute" pen and in my world, all the cute things eventually get requisitioned by my girlfriend sooner or later. So now the Petit has a new home, happily nestled in the pen pouch of her purse. I do hope it will get along nicely with the Vanishing Point that already resides there...
Jason's current rotation:
Lamy 2000 eyedropper
Parker '51' Vac
Sailor Pro Gear

Sponsored Content

#2 jhazelwood

jhazelwood

Inky Fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:26

The pilot varsity pens have the same indention on the Nib in place of the breather hole. I have been wanting one of these for a while but I haven't seen one.

#3 Eines-Tages-Bald

Eines-Tages-Bald

Till The Bitter End

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:38

You can get one at Jetpens.com

#4 Ann Finley

Ann Finley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:44

QUOTE (jhazelwood @ Mar 29 2007, 08:26 PM)
The pilot varsity pens have the same indention on the Nib in place of the breather hole. I have been wanting one of these for a while but I haven't seen one.

Here's a link to the Jet Pens Pilot Petit page where you can see all of the colors.

J-san, nice review! smile.gif

Best, Ann

#5 born t

born t

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 14:22

The indentation should help distributed the pressure at the end of the tine, and so minimise the chance of the nib buckling. If air is supplied to the ink source by other means, then a breather hole is unecessary. You pen is cute, and I hope you enjoy it.
Born

Posted Image

#6 prasinos

prasinos

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 17:08

J-San, nice review. I have also a Petit1 and I like it, although the nib is a bit scratchy.

How did you manage to put Noodler's ink in there?

#7 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 00:56

Wonderful review and pics, thanks!

#8 J-san

J-san

Certifiably awesome

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:24

QUOTE (prasinos @ Mar 31 2007, 11:08 AM)
J-San, nice review. I have also a Petit1 and I like it, although the nib is a bit scratchy.

How did you manage to put Noodler's ink in there?

I emptied out the factory ink and refilled the cartridge with Noodler's via a syringe.
Jason's current rotation:
Lamy 2000 eyedropper
Parker '51' Vac
Sailor Pro Gear

#9 Ashland

Ashland

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:36

More information on the Pilot Petite1 can be found at

http://www.fountainp...n...Petit1&st=0

Not long after receiving my first ones, the black one had a little accident.

Pilot Petite1 Survives Hit & Run

I had the pen in my pants pocket & went to a nearby town with my husband. We did a bit of shopping & drove down the street. We then noticed an old office supply store. The proprietoress had some Esterbrook nibs, but she wasn't willing to part with them. I went to pull out my Petit1 to show her and discovered it was missing. We walked back to our original parking space, and my husband found the pen. We believe we ran over it when we backed out of the space. The barrel had been ground into the asphalt and sustained a few deep scratches, but nothing was cracked; even the cap was fine. The clips on these pens do not have the gripping power of something like a Parker Vector. I still take these pens on outings with me from time to time, but I'm very careful about frequently checking my pocket.

Ashland

#10 dcande01

dcande01

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:06

I got my first Pilot Petit 1 as a way to get my order up to $25 at jetpens.com. Nothing like their free shipping. Anyhow, this little pen is a delight. I'm planning to get more in different colors. I used Pilot gel pens all through law school for underlining. The particular kind of metallic gels don't seem to be made anymore, and I'm happy to replace them with these great little fountain pens. Lots cheaper than buying a Pelikan 620 whenever I want a new ink color.

#11 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:31

I have three of this but I think they write too wet so I just keep them in my drawer. I live in Indonesia with high humidity which may explain why they feather a bit too much.

#12 nathanpaulo

nathanpaulo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:18

Is it safe to ink this up with Noodler's 54th Mass? since the feed is some kind of felt material, i think

Sponsored Content

|