• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I walked into Schediwy in Graz today for a Clairefontaine A4 and came out with...another Lamy 2000. This is the first time I saw this pen in any shop, and so I requested to try. The pen wrote very well off the shelf: no skip, smooth and wet line, and not quite Lamy-Fine and not quite Lamy-Medium--and dipped test; no fill via piston. Originally skeptical of Lamy's lacklustre effort at this 50th edition like nearly everyone else, every doubt was however dispelled when I held this pen. The features appear subtle but substantial--the 'coating' is especially hard to describe. It is not very special, but appropriate for a timeless pen like this one. And the pen feels much warmer than either the Lamy 2000 steel or the Lamy 2000 edition. While the latter does not post so well at all, this one posts with a nice, snug fit--as if it was designed to do so. The coating did not feel like the outcome of a 'paint job' at all; it feels and looks titanium-coated, even though it is not. However when placed against other 'natural' titanium objects, this pen would be easily mistaken for a Ti-coated pen. In all, this pen appears heavier than the steel version, and the piston, at least for mine, feels little wobbly and the construction appears different from the Lamy 2000 edition.

I spent quite a while testing the pen and oddly, neither the shopkeeper nor myself could figure out the nib size (there was no label and the pen was yet recorded into their inventory! But it writes (very) well--enough to seal the deal.

The price is much lower than the stated number in USD going around FPN and with VAT shopping this ends up slightly higher than the steel Lamy 2000's MSRP. While this 50th edition is hardly a steal, I thought if I missed this one, I may have to hunt around, or wait a longer while, before one turns up. But after all, there is also nothing more reassuring than to purchase a pen in person--especially in an institution for pen and paper in Graz.

Hello. Thanks for your post. I didn't realize you have such a shop in Graz, I will be sure to pay them a visit next time I'm in Graz.

I have also bought a 50th limited edition L2K. I was wondering how much did you pay for it? I got it for 430€. Problem is, I had no idea there was a shop close by (I live near the border to Austria) where I could physically get it, so I got it via mail and received it damaged. Currently waiting for a replacement.

By the way, my piston was also quite wobbly. At first, I thought it's due to damages, because my makrolon L2K isn't wobbly at all! You can easily check the nib size by unscrewing the nib and feed section, it's very easy to do so.

Edited by invisuu

By the way, my piston was also quite wobbly

Mine too, but I wasn't surprised since my Stainless Steel has the same "peculiarity". But I never had a problem.

Still waiting to see one in person!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello. Thanks for your post. I didn't realize you have such a shop in Graz, I will be sure to pay them a visit next time I'm in Graz.

I have also bought a 50th limited edition L2K. I was wondering how much did you pay for it? I got it for 430€. Problem is, I had no idea there was a shop close by (I live near the border to Austria) where I could physically get it, so I got it via mail and received it damaged. Currently waiting for a replacement.

By the way, my piston was also quite wobbly. At first, I thought it's due to damages, because my makrolon L2K isn't wobbly at all! You can easily check the nib size by unscrewing the nib and feed section, it's very easy to do so.

Yes, the shop in Graz is quite amazing! It is on the way up to the castle, and you will not miss it.

I paid about $250Euros 6 years ago for the L2K edition, purchased from a collector in uninked state. Oddly, it is the pen that even the most FP apathetic person--my sister--would say, 'I really like the pen', and for some reason, catches more attention than any pen I own. Thank you for your tip and I haven't tried dismantling L2K yet. But with some writing now, I am quite sure it is a medium nib. And it is good to know that the wobbly feel is normal for this rendition of L2K.

AAA

STUNNING!!! The third one... is it the ceramics 2K?

fpn_1476383772__img_2343.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Not to quibble (as I begin to quibble), but the aesthetic origin of the design is the post-war HfG Ulm, not the Bauhaus.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 9 months later...

It's overworked and overpriced. It has been a problem child since the start. It's long past the time to let go of this ancient design. :bawl:

In my not so humble opinion :gaah:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Not to quibble (as I begin to quibble), but the aesthetic origin of the design is the post-war HfG Ulm, not the Bauhaus.

The style, yes. Its shape was designed during the early mid sixties, with total ignorance of ergonomics. But that came much later.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design