Calling All College Students Using Fountain Pens!

kidneychris

Mathematics/ Computer Science Senior.

Have been using fountain pens for about a year.

Mostly use for note taking and practice problems.

Started using because I needed to take notes rapidly, neatly, and for long stretches of time without tiring my hand.

Sheaffer Snorkel

Sheaffer balance

Sheaffer Touchdown

Sheaffer Imperial

Noodler's Ahab.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kidneychris

• spezialemic

• vPro

• meretricious

1. Age(if desired), The school you go to, Etc...

23, Howard Payne University, Psychology Major/ Writing Minor

2.When did you start using pens?

About two years ago, around the same time i met my wife! She approves of the hobby!

3. How do you use them?

Just everyday use! And Journaling!

4. The pens in your collection...

Hmm.

Parker 51 Aero

Parker 51 Vac

Twsbi 580

Pelikan M200

Lamy 2000

Esterbrook J- SJ x2

Pilot Metropolitan

Lamy Safari x 2

Conklin Duragraph

Poche Ohto Pocket Pen

A few other cheapies as well.

5. Whats the general response of others(peers)?

Oddly enough i haven't had anybody notice, or at least approach me about them.

6. Why use a fountain pen?

Because i enjoy it!

Edited by dgreenwood116

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FountainPenStation?ref=hdr_shop_menu

http://NIBBLYNIB.WORDPRESS.COM

Wow! I am really impressed! I am amazed at the number of fountain pens that many of you college students have! I've noticed an increase in fountain pen use in the classes that I teach.

I'm a Ph.D. grad in Immunology and Toxicology. I started using fountain pens on a regular basis when I was in high school, much like many of you. Today, I use my fountain pens when I am taking notes from papers and journals that I am reading or when evaluating a new textbook. But I am also a very big journaler, and use my fountain pens for that. I use my fountains for just about everything.

Today I have about 9 fountain pens including a Lamy Al-Star, Lamy Safari, Lamy Studio, Faber Castell Loom, Delta Horsepower, Delta Marina, Aurora Ipsilon, Pilot Vanishing Point, and a Conklin Duragraph. I love each pen for their specfic characteristics, and my mood.

I am considered odd by most academics since I didn't start graduate school until I was as old as most of my professors. So, my preference for fountain pens is considered a bit odd. But everyone seems to think I have great penmanship and several of my colleagues have started playing around with fountain pens. But truthfully what they like best is the different color inks, since I have a large number of samples and bottles that I keep around.

Right now my favorite brands of ink are Waterman (due to the great flow and the lower price), Rohrer & Klingner (most seem to be wetter which I prefer), De Atramentis (these inks have wonderful flow, and great colors), and Caran d'Ache (love them, but can't afford them).

I write a lot, and my fountain pens make my writing flow. I also have osteoarthritis in my hands. The ease and smoothness of my fountain pens make writing much easier for me.

While I am not a student but one who teaches, I thought I would add a few comments.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

25, University, Computer Science and Philosophy

In pre school with 5 years, so twenty years ago.

3. How do you use them?

For everything. I only write with fountain pens.

I have a lot of pens. At the time I use my Lamys, Edisons and sometimes Pelikan.

None. Almost one third writes with fountain pens or uses on regularly. Most of them Lamys, some use Pelikans. Most think acrylic fountain pens look ugly and cheap.

Habit.

19;The very prestigious, Columbia state community college.

Around the age of 17; dip pens around 16

3. How do you use them?

Daily notes and journaling, or when I sense a fellow stationary nerd close by! :D

TWISBI 580 f/b nib

Conklin Duragraph medium/ 1.1 stub nib

Lamy Safari medium nib

Jin Hao x450 X2

Jin Hao x750

A slew of dip pen nibs (if that counts!)

5. Whats the general response of others(peers/)?

"marry me." B)

uh... because they are awesome!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

"Why don't you invite a friend over?" "Oh you mean my fountain pens!?"

46 - almost 47. I go to Marylhurst University in Portland Oregon - grad student in the Religious Studies program there.

Fountain pens? Last year after my pen crazy son (Hi, Benbot517) finally wore me down.

3. How do you use them?

I use them at school primarily for note taking during class. I do not take notes on computer or have my laptop in class with me.

Many Esterbrooks, all destined to be cleaned up, fixed up, and sold. My primary writing pens are Pilot Custom 74s. I journal with a Custom 98 and have a 3776 Century at work (I'm a part time student). I'm looking to change out any of those that don't have a fine nib with fine nibs - that's one of the 74s and the 3776. I got the 98 with a fine point and was hooked.

One classmate noticed my pen and said, "Is that a MontBlanc?" She's the only one to notice.

I like the light touch - I can be a very heavy writer and really cramp up my hands - I'm much more aware of keeping a light touch when I write with a FP and so at the end of a day of class I don't end up with my right hand looking more like a claw. I write my notes because I retain the information better than if I'm typing them. At least, I think I do...but it works for me...

19, Portland State University- BS in Community Development

Around a year ago. A friend gave me a Pilot Varsity, and it all went downhill from there... :D

3. How do you use them?

I use them for all my note taking, journal writing, etc.

Too many to list. Favorites include a Pelikan M400 from the 80's, a Montblanc 144R, a Parker 51, a Kaweco Al Sport, and several Esterbrook Js.

I don't get much response. bbycrts (My dad) initially mocked me, but I got him into it eventually. I've gotten a few of my friends to try them, and they quite like them.

It makes taking notes so much easier on the hand. I've taken notebooks full on notes, and I really think that it's helped me gradewise. The large variety of inks and nibs is a ton of fun as well.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

1. 21 University of Connecticut

2. I started using fountain pens during my third year of school.

3. I mostly use them for notes, and really any writing that I have to do.

4. Twsbi mini, lamy safari, pilot metropolitan, noodlers Ahab.

5. no one really seems to notice.

6. I have no idea one day I bought one and decided that they were amazing.

University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

18 years old.

Pens:

Visconti Rembrandt Ballpoint and Fountain pen

Visconti Opera Fountain pen

Visconti Homo Sapiens Ballpoint Pen

Visconti Van Gogh Fountain Pen

Waterman Perspective Fountain Pen and Ballpoint Pen

Delta Vintage Fountain Pen and Mechanical pencil

Parker Duofold Fountain Pen

Parker Premier Fountain pen

Lamy Al-Star Fountain Pen

Lamy Vista Fountain Pen

Diplomat Classic Collection Fountain Pen

Jinhao 650 Fountain Pen

Jinhao 159 Fountain Pen

Jinhao x450 Fountain Pen

Jinhao x750 Fountain Pen

Baoer Starwalker Fountain pen

Baoer 550 Fountain Pen

Mont Blanc Starwalker Ballpoint Pen

Monteverde Impressa Fountain Pen and Ballpoint

Monteverde Prima Fountain Pen.

What do people think about me? Most people think it's cool I have so many pens, but as I am a university student, they also think it is odd I have the money to spend on them. (I try to tell them that this is all I spend money on). When I show them the range on inks I have, (about 30) they are also impressed. I think I have converted at least two people to the world of Fountain Pens!

25, Computer Science PhD

1 year ago

3. How do you use them?

I like to write down proofs and derivations for machine learning methods I am implementing. It allows me to better understand what I'm using and why I'm using it.

Also, I keep a small pad with me to sketch out/write down any ideas I might for research.

Pilot VP EF

Soon: Lamy 2k with custom 0.5mm cursive italic grind!

When I finish my PhD: Pelikan M1000

I don't have any inexpensive pens as I need something that makes me want to write even when I don't. For me, that's a nice expensive pen that I feel has something unique about it.

5. Whats the general response of others(peers/)?

I personally try and hide it. I would be a bit embarrassed if my peers discovered my pen costs $150 or $200. Outside of peers (TAing, at a coffee shop, or a library) I don't care, though I've had few people remark on it.

Sometimes I don't want to learn, or work. Thus sometimes I need a pen with which I just want to write, and then choose the topic of my writing to be a journal article. I still get to work, but it's more enjoyable with a pen I love.

1. 42. Virginia western community college. Communication design. Going back to get a degree that says I know how to do the job I've been doing for 26 years. It's a long story...

2.started using fountain pens in the 80s during some drawing classes

3. Taking notes mainly

4. Too many to list. Probably 30 or so modern and probably 50 vintage

5. Some just don't pay it any attention. Professors seek to be more interested than students. But some students have said "oh that's cool" or something similar

6. I like the way it feels. Makes me appreciate the act of actually writing something down on paper.

Edited by chad.trent

• 2 weeks later...

1. 20, Cornell University Computer Science

2. 15

3. Writing, mathematics

4. Visconti Homo Sapiens, Lamy Safari, Pilot VP, Lamy 2000

5. Nobody really notices... until I lend them my pen. Then they have trouble writing with it.

6. They're cheaper than Uniball Vision Elites.

Also, I write novels longhand, so (6) gets really expensive really quickly compared to fountain pens...

How do you like the Visconti Homo Sapiens? I just got the Lamy 2000M, but I was considering getting that pen next. I've heard a lot of good things. Is that your daily writer?

1. 27, Sociology, Brooklyn College

2. 2 years ago I had a Pilot V-Pen which I used for about a half a year to a year and after that I slowly transitioned into more expensive fountain pens. I started with a JinHao x450, then I got Pilot Metros, a Lamy Vista, then made the jump to a Pilot Custom 74.

3. I use them everyday taking notes, jotting down things in my journal, keeping records, making lists...Anything that involves writing, I use a fountain pen for.

4. I think I have the majority of pens inked up...
-Omas Ogiva Alba in Violet w/ Extra Fine, Extra Flessible nib

-Pilot Custom 74 2015 Limited Edition w/ Butter Line Stub nib

-Pilot Custom Heritage 912 w/ FA nib

-Pilot Metal Falcon w/ Soft Medium nib

-Pilot Vanishing Point in Tropical Purple w/ F nib

-Pelikan M600 Blue w/ Broad nib

-Parker Parkette w/ F nib

-Parker Vaccumatic w/ EF nib

-Waterman Commando w/ XXF Flex nib

-Retro 51 Tornado Massdrop Limited Edition w/ F nib

-Monteverde Jewelria Carbon Fiber w/ F nib

-TWSBI Diamond 580 AL in Violet w/ EF nib

-2 Platinum Cools, one w/ M nib and one w/ F nib

-2 Pilot Metropolitans w/ M and F nib

-2 Jinhao x750 w/ EF and F nib

-Shaeffer School Pen

5. My friends are usually indifferent about it. Some ask to try it and I let them. I gave a friend a JinHao x450 to keep and it became his everyday writer. My coworkers are usually like...What's that? I let them use it and they give an approving nod. Some ask about the price and they get pretty dumbfounded sometimes.

6. Because I love the feel of a fountain pen. I also love the ink variety that fountain pens provide. Writing recently has become cathartic to me so I can write a lot of things in a short amount of time and fountain pens are the ideal tool in my eyes to write with.

Edited by FinalEleven
Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

3. How do you use them?

Cheers

1. 22, small Liberal Arts College, Mathematics. Currently enrolled as PhD student in TU Berlin.

2. Technically, I was introduced to them in elementary school. Of course, like most kids p, it didn't stick. So formally when I was 16.

3. They're pretty much my ONLY writing utensils unless I really need to erase, like in math. So yeah. Everything imaginable. I also tend not to type if I can.

4. Here goes:

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age

Omas 360 Vintage Turquoise

Montblanc WE Franz Kafka

Montblanc WE Carlo Collodi

Lamy Al Star Burnt Orange

Lamy Al Star Purple

Lamy 2000 x2. bought one. Lost. Bought another one. Lost both. The only two pens I lost, actually. Pity. I liked them very much. I'm not meant for this one it seems. I have decided I won't buy another one.

Some vintage Parker wet noodle thing. Coolest nib ever!

Nakaya Raden Milky Way with 0.7mm stub by Mottishaw

A bunch of unidentified Heroes I picked off the streets of Shanghai because they cost less than a Starbucks. I never use them however...

5. Peers who like/use FPs: OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME WE SHOULD BE FRIENDS

Or: nice pen! How much does this cost again? *profanity*

Or: *ignores*small

6. Well, I wanted to be different in high school. Then I got addicted.

I try to tell them that this is all I spend money on).

Yeah. I earn circa a thousand dollars a trimester on student employment plus some allowance from my parents. Guess where it all goes.I also don't remember a birthday or Christmas present that wasn't a fountain pen. Probably a blessing that I never learned how to put on make up. I'm spared the related expenses. Edited by Rubicon

• 4 months later...

Hey all you college kids like me who use the fountain to take notes/general writing.

Decided to see how many of us are on the forum. I apologize if theres already a topic like this one, I couldn't find one! Anyway.

Lets give each other a picture of where, how, and when we use our pens.

I am an American Student but would be totally open to hearing about students studying in other countries and their experience.

Heres some loose guidelines to start the discussion.

3. How do you use them?

Cheers

I realise that this is an older thread, but I came across it and was truly thrilled to see that there are plenty of students who do use Fountain pens. Unfortunately none of you go to my college but oh well.

I) I am 25, Starting soon my MA auf Arizona State University.

II) Januar 2015.

III) I use fountain pens for anything and everything: HA, Exams, Notes, Jotting down ideas, shopping lists, todo lists, letters, comments, journalling, peer reviews, u.a.

IV) Currently the most expensive one ist my Waldmann Tuscany F and the rest are cheap chinese pens: Jinhao x450 M, 3 Baoer 388 F, Lamy Safari EF. Then I have 2 Parker Betas (not sure if they're knockoffs or what, they're pretty cheap). Soon more to come.

V) Most don't really pay attention. Most don't know. Not unless were in small groups. Then I get things like: "This is a neat pen", "Wow, cool pen!".. Only twice have I heard: "Wow, I remember when I had to use these in school.*" *They would then reflect a little on what the experience was like.

VI) I like using these pens because when I would write, I would frequently get cramps which made it hard to finish writing.. Which also made it hard to finish an essay on time. Besides the practibility, I love these type of pens. Pens that point to a simpler and less chaotic world. A world where everybody wasn't racing to their own grave. But then again, I love all things vintage. I have adopted plenty of methods as well. Saves on electricity bills too.

I once again count as a college student.

Age: A lot older than most of my classmates. School: an inexpensive, local community college.

I started using fountain pens when I first went off to university, a year after graduating high school. I stopped after I dropped out. I returned to fountain pens some time in the mid-late nineties, when a box of bike parts arrived with a Levenger catalog, and have used them by preference ever since.

I use fountain pens for nigh unto all my writing. I only pick up pencils (0.7mm Pentel Twist-Erase) for scan-tron forms and carpentry. I might use a pencil if I ever again indulge in recreational cartography. I learned when I was studying anatomy and physiology that hadwriting notes led to FAR better retention than typing them on my laptop. So the primary uses are notes, journaling, and copywork. And I use an HP LaserJet 1018 for printing out assignments because my handwriting is in definite need of work.

The collection, pretty much all fine point:

• Dad's black/Lustraloy (worn almost to polished) aerometric "51", some old MontBlanc-Simplo Black
  • Pelikan M200 blue swirl, Noodler's Red-Black
  • Pelikan M400 blue stripe, "Waterman Florida Blue" (I suspect the ink is either concentrated or something else entirely, as it's much more saturated and lightfast than I'd expect of a washable ink like WFB)
  • green Platinum Plaisir, Diamine Sherwood
  • black Platinum Plaisir, Sheaffer Turquoise (for markup)
  • Hero 616 (burgundy and green -- the black ones were too easy to confuse with Dad's "51"), Noodler's Widow Maker for markup -- and another will get turquoise once the black Plaisir runs dry
  • aqua Pilot Crystal, no permanent color yet -- it may become home for Ku-Jaku till that's gone
  • Baoer 388 flighter, sample testing pen
  • green Pilot 78G, sample testing pen
  • white Sizzle Stix c/c school pen ground to oblique stub, maybe the Waterman Violet until it's gone
  • red Sheaffer 1mm Viewpoint, maybe the waterman violet till it's gone
  • copper Esterbrook "J" with 9460 medium manifold nib, no permanent color yet.

The ones I don't use, don't count. At some point, I want to get Nemosine Singularities and/or Jinhao X750s to hold my 0.8mm Nemosine stub nib and/or my Noodler's halflex nibs, and I think I'd love to have nearly all my pens with narrow (0.8-0.6mm) stubs. Neither Ahabs nor Konrads are really going to work for me.

Most people never notice my fountain pens. I'm ready and willing to lend them out while holding the cap, with a little bit of instruction -- "Hold it with the quill on top, and use as little pressure as you can." I've done some elementary school substitute teaching, and those students are pretty responsive to them.

I use fountain pens because they write entirely without effort. My fist time through university, I decided that first pencils, then ballpoints, and then Pilot Precise V5 rollerballs, all were too scratchy and required too much effort. I have cultivated a slack grip while writing, and now am more used to shoulder-writing than finger-writing. Ballpoints do not permit a slack grip, though some roller balls and gel pens might.

Very cool seeing where everyone else is and what pens they're using! Here's my story:

1. I'm a second year at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. I'm currently working my way through a double in Computer Science and Electrical/Computer Engineering, which gives my fountain pens plenty of math to work on.

2. I started using fountain pens about a year ago. Roommate had ordered a Jinhao x450 off Amazon which reminded me of an old Hero from the 70s in my basement.

3/4. What pens do I have and what do I use them for?

• Pelikan 140 BB - (almost) my ideal pen, makes journaling something special and holiday cards that blow my mind
  • Lamy Safari White F - if Apple made a fountain pen, this would be it, used for journaling, scribbling, and note taking
  • TWSBI Diamond 580 Green F - my most aesthetically pleasing pen, always inked with a purple or violet ink, same uses as the Safari
  • Pilot Vanishing Point Black Rhodium F and M - very classy looking pen with a solid feel, same uses as the Safari
  • Pilot Custom 74 M - I got this for the nib but it's redundant now with the VP, so I will probably part with this to make way for a new pen
  • Duke 209 Fude + Jinhao X750 Fude - amazing drawing tools, I ink these up with non-waterproof inks (Iro Take Sumi, Noodler's Turquoise, etc.) and then go over my drawings with a water brush
  • Assorted Pilot Petit 1 F - these pens are amazing, especially for the price! I can carry them around in my pocket without worry of losing them. Mainly for note taking and sketching.

5. I have some friends that also like pens, which is great. All others are surprised at the prices.

6. Fountain pens are a lot of fun- I love being able to mess around with different inks, nibs, and bodies.

Edited by Briguy52

1. Freshman at Connecticut College

2. I assume this is asking about fountain pens. In that case, 4th grade, which was the year I got a calligraphy set for X-mas. I got serious at the end of middle school.

3. Everything! Notes, tests, composition...

4. Pelikan 400 tortoise (the perfect pen for me), Waterman's 14s saftey, TWSBI Vac mini, Sheaffer Snorkel (I much prefer vintage pens)

5. "Cool!" I have yet to receive anything but positive responses. Perhaps about one-fifth of my peers take note. One of my professors uses them as well, and she was pleased when she noticed me using them!

6. History, comfort, self-expression, art, design.......inks!

Edited by ele

LEGEND: Regular Text is Questions. Bold Text is My Answers.

20. LACC. Psych Major.

Middle School 8th grade, Cross 50 USD. High School 9th Grade, Pilot Plumix.

3. How do you use them?

Complete replacement of all writing instruments. Pencils are exception for scan-trons. Using one of the pens for story writing only (passporto). Using the Justus95 for quick notes. Using the C743 for mostly a general purpose pen.

JP FPs are on my sig.

Pelikan: M640, (Another one I can't find the name it's a full metal body.)

TWSBI: Vac700, Mini Rose Gold

Noodlers: Konrad, Ahab, Creaper, Neoponset

Lamy: Safari, Alstar, CP1, Logo

Sheaffer: Snorkel

Monteverde: (Some Ti Carbon Fiber Pen)

Namisu: Ti Minimal, Al Minimal

FPR: Triventi

Jinhao: x450, x750

FPN: Passporto(Stipula)

Ackerman: Pump

Fake Montblanc: Fake 144

"Oh cool, I never seen these before. Can I try them."

Middle School Time: I wana be like those people dipping inks in the old movies.

Early Highschool: Let me learn cursive so I can I write a love letter so I can get a girl friend. (If wondering it didn't work.)

Mid Highschool: Let write much faster than the class, so when the teacher gives us a small break for us to catch up writing I can write my short stories. (If wondering one was ero and other was dystonia)

Late Highschool: Let me use something that doesn't hurt my hand. Using a pencil is harder than it looks.

Early College: Let me speed up my note taking. And finds out writing notes on paper allows me not to reread my notes once I get back home.

Now College: Everything above besides the reason for Early Highschool. Plus I like the elegant style of Pilot pens.

#Nope

I'm 49- I teach Technology at a local community college. Certificate/Certification/Continuing ED

Been using FP's for 10+ years now...

I use FP's Everyday!

I have.... More than enough! ;) (usually have 5-6 inked at any given time)

Most people are curious.... Many are happy to try them!

Using FP's has improved my handwriting over the years....

Friends/family tell me I should have been a doctor! ;)

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!