Wenge Wood Kitless Fountain Pen

szeryyy

This is my first wood pen. I used wenge wood, because I like this black-brown pattern. The wood is dusty when turning and porous, but quite nice in look and feeling. Inserts and section is from ebonite. I would like to get natural wood feeling so it's only sanded and buffed. I'll apply also 2-3 coats of hard oil.

It's not perfect but I'm sure I'll try to make another wooden pens.

http://www.pmarcinski.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/20150301_161705.jpg

http://www.pmarcinski.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/20150301_161345.jpg

More photos on website.

http://www.pmarcinski.pl/example-realizations/599/

As I said this is my first wooden pen, so I have a question:

What do you thing about wood pens generally ? Do you like them ? Do the customers like them or they prefer other materials ?

Edited by szeryyy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• szeryyy

• mhguda

• rudyhou

• lahlahlaw

I like that! You might want to reconsider how you finish it. One of things that has always appealed to me about Wenge is the texture. If you cover that with a thick hard finish you will lose that great texture.

I think it's perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. What kind of nib is it? #5 size?

@arts_nibs

Precisely I use oil-wax mixture and wood keeps its texture etc. When I'll finish all aplications I'll post photos to compare with rare wood. It is my first wooden pen so I curious what it will be look and work.

The nib is: JoWo #6 steel.

Przemek

It's very beautiful. I too like wood pens. How will the pen feel in the hand after you coat it with oil? Not sure what hard oil is - will the wood be covered, or will the oil soak in?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Actually it is oil and wax mix. In my opinion the major ingredient is oil with some added wax. The oil soak in wood.

I apply once -> waiting 24 h -> repeating a few times.

Now wood is after two applications and nice hmm... satin feeling. The wood texture is saved and it's what I wanted :)

Przemek

That sounds like a very nice finish, and the texture is still there. Congratulations, nice work!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 5 months later...

Very very nice.

I normaly don't like wood pens, but this one is very beutiful, and elegant.

I like the shape of the section.

Congratulations.

How long have you been practicing pen turning?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

As I said this is my first wooden pen, so I have a question:

What do you thing about wood pens generally ? Do you like them ? Do the customers like them or they prefer other materials ?

I generally like wood pens, and a lot of people like them. I've had clients request wood pens over acrylic, given the option of both materials.

I'd like to try doing more with wood, but I want to get a stabilization kit to treat the wood. I have a ton of spalted woods that I accumulated from tree cuttings when I was in high school and would like to try stabilizing them. I'm curious to see how stabilized wood takes threads and whether or not it can be used without ebonite or acrylic inserts.

Cool pen though. Wenge is one of my favorite woods. I love the grain pattern. I used a lot of Wenge in college and got some awful splinters from it ;)

-John

Edited by jalbert

lovely pen in its own style.

Perhaps one coat of thin CA or varnish followed by wet sanding would fill up the pores yet keep the texture. In damp weathers like our place moisture tends to get absorbed and would damage the wood. just a thought.