Caran D'ache

waynef

Caran d'Ache, unknown model

INTRODUCTION: When I first learned that my daughter was going to be spending a semester in Geneva, my first thought was Caran d'Ache. I have admired their pens for years. In particular I lust after the Ivanhoe. So I asked, as a joke, for her to pick up a Caran d”Ache fountain pen for me. I knew that she couldn't begin to afford such a jewel so when I got photos of the Caran d'Ache store in Geneva, I was satisfied. Little did I know that she would get me not only one pen, but two! I have no idea what this pen is called. I have looked all over the internet to no avail. If a knowledgeable person could let me know, I would be grateful.

1. Appearance & Design 8The cap was a sort of dingy blue that was peeling. Not very nice. One could see the name on the cap, but it was fuzzy. The rest of the pen was a soft plastic whith an hexagonal end piece that holds the octagonal cap securely for those who post. 16487586719_dbd51717c2_b.jpg

My wife looked at the cap a little bit and announced that peeling stuff was just a protective coating. She proceeded to peel it off revealing a transparent blue hard plastic, much like one sees in demonstrator pens. Now the name snaps. 16466451787_ca0a0e8015_b.jpg

Rather attractive, but charming rather than sophisticated. Think Swatch, not Patek Philippe.

2. Construction & Quality 9 This thing is rugged. I don't drop my pens often, but if this one were to drop I would expect it to bounce back with nary a scratch. Seams are tight. Cap snaps tightly on the body of the pen and fits securely on the other end of the body for posters.

3. Weight & Dimensions 9 14 grams. 13.7 cm capped. 12.7 cm unposted. 15.9 cm posted. Circumference 1.2 cm This is a very lightweight pen It has been my daily driver for the last few weeks and I am quite content with it. It has a contrasting light blue triangular-ish section with bumps to show one how to hold it. This is a comfortable and secure pen in the hand. The photo shows the Caran d'Ache next to a Lamy 2000 for comparison. 16672719192_dce96ae5aa_b.jpg

4. Nib & Performance 9I didn't get any choice about size of nib. It is labeled '4' on the feed and 'A' on the nib itself. I have no idea if those are significant, or if significant what they signify. It is a medium nib, quite hard, but lays down a nice line with no difficulty starting. It writes first time every time. I assume the nib is stainless steel but it is not marked as to content, just the nice Caran d'Ache logo and the aforementioned 'A'. The nib itself reminds me of nibs from the era when stick pens, such as S. T. Dupont's Classique, were popular. 16051418204_7c77d073f8_b.jpg

5. Filling System & Maintenance 7 - A standard cartridge converter. If you are content with that system you will be happy, if not, not. I seem to be a piston snob these days, so that is my least favorite part of the pen.

6. Cost & Value 10This is embarrassing. My darling daughter bought both pens for one Franc. That's both, not each. The value is unbeatable. When was the last time you bought a brand new high end name brand pen for a similar price? She tells me that the vendor has more at the same price. All the same colour.

7. Conclusion 8.7- Of course I love the pen. It is a delight to write with and as it was a present from my daughter that makes it even more precious to me. I understand Caran d'Ache gives Genevan children art supplies as they grow up. I suspect that this may be a pen Caran d'Ache made especially for that market. Lucky Swiss children to learn about fountain pens with such a terrific pen!

Stay calm,

Be brave,

Wait for the signs.

-Tom King

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• waynef

• visvamitra

• jasonchickerson

• Lamb South

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very interesting. It seems to be a student's pen but I can't find anything about it online. I have to say, for the price, it beats the pants off the Lamy ABC!

It looks almost like a Pelikano Junior in some respects, which by the way is a great pen.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.