Starwalker Ballpoint Has Play At Bp Tip

MBrown58102

I recently purchased my first new MB pen. It's a beautiful MB Starwalker Midnight Black ballpoint! I am happy with the purchase and the overall look, style and quality of the pen but am concerned about one thing. When I extend the ballpoint tip refill, it has a small amount of play at the end. This makes it slightly noisy and annoying especially when writing on paper on a hard surface like a table. It clicks every time the BP tip touches the paper.

Thinking it's not normal for it to do this, I compared with other MB ballpoints and to my suprise, very few of them hold the refill tight at the tip. All of them have a small or large amount of play in them.

Is this normal??

Regards

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MBrown58102

• meiers

• Lamb South

• marcellstarwalker

MBrown58102,

I have seven different Montblanc ballpoint pens. I just tried them all and none of them have any play or give at the tip. What you described would be very annoying to me and I would seek out a way to fix it. I am assuming that you have a Montblanc BP refill in your Starwalker, so that should not be the issue. The twist mechanism uses a spring to help set the refill into the barrel. Does the twist action seem tight?

Maybe others with more mechanical capabilities can offer some advice.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

The twist action is tight and very smooth.

Recently I visited a jewelry store that sold MB products and tried other Ballpoints to look for the same issue. Sure enough, the same issue exists in all the ballpoints I tried, especially in the new JFK model.

The play is very slight but can be noticed if you look and feel closely.

A way to tell if it has play is to extend the tip all the way out and grip the tip with your fingers and move it back and forth. It has a noticable play.

I have another MB ballpoint too with the same issue. A nice 20kt MB Noblesse with a push button action.

One of the seven Montblanc BP pens that I tested was my JFK special edition. I just finished inspecting it closely and testing it as you indicated. There is no movement at all when fully extended. There is no movement up/downl or side-to-side. I wrote with it several times and there was no give or play at all. For the money paid, a Montblanc BP should be tight and clean in all it's workings. You might want to consider taking it to an MB boutique and have them take a look at it.

Lamb South

Good idea although the closest botique is about 600 miles away.

I did recently visit a MB dealer in a jewelry store to compare my Starwalker with others. All others had the same problem.

It's not much play but just enough to make a click sound when the ballpoint hits the paper.

If you take a loupe and look at the tip up close with the cartridge extended, you will see there is a slight gap between the edge of the cartridge and the opening of the end of the pen. Am I the only one who has this problem? My wife and I can see the problem clearly especially when compared to a Cross Classic Century which has no play whatsoever.

hmmm...

What size refill do you have in there? A fine point perhaps?

Maybe you try a broad point instead.

Edited by meiers

I have several different refills, all from the Montblanc website. Currently I'm using a blue Broad point but sadly it makes no difference.

It has play no matter what color or size refill I install.

Wrap a small piece of tape around the refill where the play is?

Edit: Just tried that, it's a terrible idea.

Edited by RajAlexander

I just called a Montblanc botique in Chicago. They say the ballpoint pens are designed to have a small amount of play at the end.

I am shocked!!

I have several different refills, all from the Montblanc website. Currently I'm using a blue Broad point but sadly it makes no difference.

It has play no matter what color or size refill I install.

That would make sense as the MB BP refills are all exactly the same length and diameter. The only real difference should be the aperture at the end of the pen refill and perhaps the size of the ball in the aperture.

Lamb South

I just called a Montblanc botique in Chicago. They say the ballpoint pens are designed to have a small amount of play at the end.

I am shocked!!

That is so strange as all of my MB BP pens are rock solid. The only thing I can think of is that the center opening in the tip of the barrel must be slightly oversized, which would allow the end of the pen refill to wiggle slightly. If that is the case, this would be very disappointing.

Lamb South

My BP 161 Unicef 2009 has like 1 micron of play. Almost none. I don't feel the play at all when i write with it.

I am shocked!!

Maybe applicable to the Starwalkers as Meisterstück 161 BP has no play at all and is very solid.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I did try the trick with the tape around the tip of the refill and it seemed to work quite well.

I did try the trick with the tape around the tip of the refill and it seemed to work quite well.

Glad to hear it, I managed to muck up by putting too much tape on, it gummed up the mechanism and brought a spring out with it!

• 3 years later...

I recently purchased my first new MB pen. It's a beautiful MB Starwalker Midnight Black ballpoint! I am happy with the purchase and the overall look, style and quality of the pen but am concerned about one thing. When I extend the ballpoint tip refill, it has a small amount of play at the end. This makes it slightly noisy and annoying especially when writing on paper on a hard surface like a table. It clicks every time the BP tip touches the paper.

Thinking it's not normal for it to do this, I compared with other MB ballpoints and to my suprise, very few of them hold the refill tight at the tip. All of them have a small or large amount of play in them.

Is this normal??

Regards

Hi MBrown58102, I just bought a Montblanc Starwalker Midnight Black Ballpoint from Costco for a great deal. I am happy with everything except the same clicking noise (not always happens). I feel the same way as you described in your post. Anyway what ended up happening after almost 4 years. I love the pen but I was expecting more precision from MB. I have been thinking that this might be on purpose to create a little leverage to make it easy for the tip to move while writing. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Marcell