The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Review - Jinhao 886 (Colorful Cute Bullet) - Amazing Writer

jinhao made in china pen review handwritten small fountain pen jinhao 886 fountain pen jinhao 886 review

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2016 - 14:21

Jinhao 886 in gold color filled with KWZ IG #3 ink.

word-12.jpg?w=768

word-02.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

Sponsored Content

#62 matteob

matteob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2016 - 18:38

I have ordered a bright yellow one on ebay for £1.99. I am very impressed indeed with Jinhaos though one needs to write on thick paper stock to stop bleed through. One alight annoyance with my Jinhaos is that the nib always seems to be smeared with ink. Also the ridiculous 18K GP imprint on the steel nibs: who are they trying to kid? However they are good sturdy pens. I might put a goulet fine on my most used pen though.

#63 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:12

Jinhao 886 in gold color filled with KWZ IG #3 ink.

word-12.jpg?w=768

One of my favorite pocket pens.  I frequently take one to class.

#64 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:37

I have ordered a bright yellow one on ebay for £1.99. I am very impressed indeed with Jinhaos though one needs to write on thick paper stock to stop bleed through. One alight annoyance with my Jinhaos is that the nib always seems to be smeared with ink. Also the ridiculous 18K GP imprint on the steel nibs: who are they trying to kid? However they are good sturdy pens. I might put a goulet fine on my most used pen though.

I think you need to change paper.. It will bleed with any pen which lays broad lines or leaves lot of ink...
These are good pens for the price.. This one is a pocket pen... Yellow us lovely color and getting it for less than 2 pounds is amazing which includes shipping.. That reminds me I need to add other colors in my collection...

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#65 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:37

One of my favorite pocket pens.  I frequently take one to class.

Yes lovely pocket pen.. Sadly it comes with only medium nib..

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#66 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:08

Yes lovely pocket pen.. Sadly it comes with only medium nib..

I think it is a #5 nib, so you can exchange it for a #5 fine or extra fine, broad or oblique broad (if that is an option for you). 

#67 Tanipat

Tanipat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:38

I have gotten 2 Jinhao 886s, both are hard start pens.

#68 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:01

I think it is a #5 nib, so you can exchange it for a #5 fine or extra fine, broad or oblique broad (if that is an option for you). 

Yes..

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#69 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:01

I have gotten 2 Jinhao 886s, both are hard start pens.

Hard start as in they don't work for you

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#70 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2017 - 15:16

I have three of these -- blue, gold, and green, all spider free.  Right now they go for about $2US on eBay without spiders and twice as much for a spider web.  I think I can get along without that;-)  Mine have been perfectly OK.  The nib looks about the same as the nib on the 599 Safari clone.  The caps on mine seem airtight but the green one seems less prone to drying out than the gold.  (Blue is not currently inked.)  My green is a fairly tame light green. 

I came to this page after reading many complaints about the plastic on the bodies of the 599, 991, and 992 Jinhaos.  Those run about $!.20 but these metal pens might be a better deal if they are more durable.  No paint problems yet with mine though they have not seen much use.  The gold one looks like anodized aluminum which could be more durable than enamel. 

Another competitor in the super cheap class is the Lion King line but in my experience they have more problems with their plastic than do the Jinhao pens.  Most of mine have cracked and the cracks in the caps constitute an air leak so then the ink dries out and the pen is hard to start. 

#71 Miaxina

Miaxina

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:14

My Jinhao 886 is in regular rotation and I love it as it is not as heavy or thick as the X450 and x750 and I can use it for a long time. But I've found the plastic section very annoying, as the threads aren't the smoothest. Everytime I insert a cartridge/converter the nib section jumps out of the plastic, and I have to push it back inside. I've also found the feed stores a load of ink and no matter how many times I flush it, I would get a mixture of ink at the beginning. But then again, this could just be a QC problem...I love the cute shape of this pen, though. It looks cute and original, and the perfect size and weight for my hands :)

#72 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2017 - 14:27

My Jinhao 886 is in regular rotation and I love it as it is not as heavy or thick as the X450 and x750 and I can use it for a long time. But I've found the plastic section very annoying, as the threads aren't the smoothest. Everytime I insert a cartridge/converter the nib section jumps out of the plastic, and I have to push it back inside. I've also found the feed stores a load of ink and no matter how many times I flush it, I would get a mixture of ink at the beginning. But then again, this could just be a QC problem...I love the cute shape of this pen, though. It looks cute and original, and the perfect size and weight for my hands :)

I have had the same type problem.  Now when I reinsert the converter, I make sure to hold the nib/feed securely in place.  When you give the converter/cartridge a push down on the stem, it will not force the entire feed unit out of the section.  I have given thought to using an epoxy to secure the feed in the section (gluing on the part of the feed that does not hold the nib).  That way I can still remove the nib for cleaning, and for rinsing off the feed that is exposed.  I am wondering if your 2nd issue is related to the feed not fitting securely against the section wall (friction fit)?  The 886 is a cute pen, a nice writer, and perfect for carrying around in my purse.  After all, it cost me less than $1.85, so I don't have much complain about.  After all it does have a screw cap! B)

#73 MontPelikan

MontPelikan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 20:09

Hello,

a little video review of the JInhao 886 here:

Thank you for watching and sharing!

MontPelikan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jinhao, made in china, pen review, handwritten, small fountain pen, jinhao 886, fountain pen, jinhao 886 review

Sponsored Content

|