Which Fps For Dry, Hot Extreme Desert Conditions?

roygbiv54321

In the 3+ years I spent in the middle east, I carried a cheap Bic and a Fisher space pen. One thing you have to realize is that fine sand gets in EVERYTHING! I would be less worried about ink drying than I would be about near microscopic sand getting in between tines and in the caps of my pens. I have no idea on the conditions in the Sahara but in Iraq we had frequent seasons of days to week long sandstorms. That can play hell with any precision equipment. If I had to choose a FP to take with me I would choose a Pilot Metro or something else that writes well, is easy to disassemble and clean and is easy to replace if something happens to it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roygbiv54321

• Sandy1

• Frank C

• rwilsonedn

I am not familiar with a Custom 923—and I couldn't find one with a google search—did you mean Custom 823? If so, I can speak to those. I have several and they are my everyday carry pens here in Las Vegas. I don't take any special precautions with them; I do cap them when not actively writing. I rarely flush them, I just fill them with ink every few days as needed. Overall, Pilot is one of my favorite pen companies and there service center in Florida is the best!

Please forgive my typo, now edited.

Your first hand account of the 823 in Las Vegas is invaluable. Thank you.

The sweetness of a free morning collects in my pen-nib

Like the juice that drips from a slit in a date-palm. - Tagore

In the 3+ years I spent in the middle east, I carried a cheap Bic and a Fisher space pen. One thing you have to realize is that fine sand gets in EVERYTHING! I would be less worried about ink drying than I would be about near microscopic sand getting in between tines and in the caps of my pens. I have no idea on the conditions in the Sahara but in Iraq we had frequent seasons of days to week long sandstorms. That can play hell with any precision equipment. If I had to choose a FP to take with me I would choose a Pilot Metro or something else that writes well, is easy to disassemble and clean and is easy to replace if something happens to it.

Indeed. I had a very nice brand new Cannon camera that bit the dust, literally, while we were on the dunes at sunset. I disassembled it in a friend's optical shop but the sand was too fine and too deep. It was hopeless.

Perhaps a cheaper pen is wisest, though I don't anticipate has harsh village condition as the Moroccan Sahara. Kuwait city sounds like Paris.

Indeed. I had a very nice brand new Cannon camera that bit the dust, literally, while we were on the dunes at sunset. I disassembled it in a friend's optical shop but the sand was too fine and too deep. It was hopeless.

Perhaps a cheaper pen is wisest, though I don't anticipate has harsh village condition as the Moroccan Sahara. Kuwait city sounds like Paris.

Off-Topic:

Hi,

Major Sir Wilfred Thesiger carried a Leica in a goatskin bag. I reckon it had enough 'rattle room' not to jam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Thesiger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Sands

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Due to the sand issue, I'd be tempted to go there with a stack of inexpensive Platinum Plaisirs rather than one expensive Platinum 3776. Open one, keep the others sealed until the sand ruins it, then move on to the next one.

I'd hate to have a Platinum 3776 or Pilot Custom 823 ruined by sand. Those are both really good (and expensive) pens.

Just another vote for the virtues of the Fisher Spacepen. I've never dealt with desert environments, but I leave mine in a closed car summer and winter. In summer here in Virginia the car interior can really heat up. Pen never has leaked nor failed to write.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

My deployment pack was Waterman Carene, cartridges not converter fills, and zipper plastic baggies. Even then periodic dips in my water bottle were required to rehydrate. The section holds almost a cartridge worth of ink, so it tends to stay wetter in conjunction with the inlaid nib. Plus the brass bodies are sturdy. Check out Force's posts on rebuilding & relacquering.

A smooth alternative would be a YOL pencil with 1.8 lead.

I`d probably carry a good copy of a P51. Even if it tends to get dry, you can simply push slightly on the sac and it should be ready to go. Sand shouldn`t be a problem, you can occasionally dip the tip in water. Of course, a proper pouch will be required.

Edited by rochester21

I would try a Parker 51, and carry it in a pouch, with a matching mechanical pencil.

Anything less than the 51 is futil, trivial , and worthless,, it was precisely designed for those dry conditions the op mentioned, the hood, the feeder, and even its Parker special ink, and if you want to save more ink I recommend you an XF nib.

Off-Topic:

Hi,

Major Sir Wilfred Thesiger carried a Leica in a goatskin bag. I reckon it had enough 'rattle room' not to jam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Thesiger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Sands

Bye,

S1

I will pick up this Arabian Sand book from the library. It looks excellent!

• 4 months later...

I am not completely sold on the pen vs. ink debate. I live in the Sonoran Desert (about halfway between Phoenix and Tuscon) where we wail and whine when the humidity tops 10%.

I have a lovely blingy chinese Duke 9006 that gave me the usual headaches with my stash of Noodler's, but then I cleaned it out, filled it with Private Reserve Plum, and in the last year or so I have LITERALLY (actually real literally, not the literally that means nowhere near literally) have done absolutely nothing except refill the ink converter and ONCE dip the nip in converted water when I lost it under the car seat for about two months. This pen is my go-to and lives in my purse (except when I lose it) and comes in and out of the heat and air conditioning and never even a tiny leak.

I know PV plum is notoriously wet, and it will smear...it's almost...oily? But it doesn't feather on copy paper. It's like it doesn't contain much water. Noodler's, on the other hand...sigh. Anybody want about seven bottles of Noodler's that are basically impossible for me to use now?

Anybody want about seven bottles of Noodler's that are basically impossible for me to use now?

200_s.gif

Great discussion!

I live in the high desert at the base of the Sierra Nevada's. Most of the year, humidity is non-existent. While it is nothing like the Middle East, we also get high winds with high particulates in the air. My go-to pen when I am out in the field is a Fisher Space Pen - one of the bullet pens. I've never had a problem with them. If it is really bad, I will take a very cheap disposable pen with me. After I am done, I just throw it away. But I am not working outside, I do carry two or more of my FPs with me, along with ink.

But, with the low humidity, I have learned to clean and fill my pens more frequently. Now, I have a weekly habit of cleaning the pens that I have used that week, and then refilling. Those pens that I don't use as much, I only fill about halfway, and those that I use all the time, I will fill all the way. I am somewhat fastidious about certain things, and I really hate dried ink gunking up my pens.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I was watching a program about old TV adverts a few years ago (I know, gagworthily meta) and one was an advert for the Parker 50 Falcon. A guy dressed up like a Sheik was holding the pen, and asking a suit "It will not dry out - even in the desert?"

edit - google ho!

http://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/f7e9a2b5-6dec-411d-8992-87c0d6ec3040

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Thanks for these updates. Am glad to hear from you and to know this topic is still alive. It is a good topic.

To update, I purchased a PILOT Custom Heritage 912 SFM. I also am apt now as a result of these conversations to steer clear of Noodlers and use the manufacture's ink. The Pilot black has performed overwhelming and pleasing results. I am leaping out of a 5+ year Noodler's rut and knew no better(don't get me wrong, it is a good ink).

In addition, I purchased Diamine Saphire Blue to further branch out. The color was beautiful but I found the ink to be too thin and it makes the nib rough. I am very particular about the dance of the pen to paper. I have found myself in bed at night and visualizing the *perfect* writing experience.

The Pilot Custom Heritage 912 is too large for a shirt pocket and the SFM nib, while very good, is a notch too bold(Do you want it?). So, maybe you can relate: I'm still searching for the grail pen even though I'm to depart shortly on the new desert stint. I have my eye on the TWSBI Mini EF(Anybody have one up for a good deal or trade?).

The last time I was living in the desert was in a remote North African village. Image date palms, sand dunes, and old men on their donkeys loaded with gas cans at the petrol filling station. My home was open to the elements and everyday sand and dust was everywhere. No A/C.

On this new stint, I'll be living in comparative luxury in an apartment and hope to have a few HEPA filter units. I'll also be teaching in a classroom with A/C. So, it ought not be too bad for the fountain pens. However, going outdoors in 115F(40C+) from an A/C environment out to be interesting for the pens.

Of late, I've been reading the beautiful scenic journals of J. Krishnamurti.

Thank you and happy inking!

Edited by roygbiv

Thanks for these updates. Am glad to hear from you and to know this topic is still alive. It is a good topic.

To update, I purchased a PILOT Custom Heritage 912 SFM. I also am apt now as a result of these conversation to steer clear of Noodler's and use the manufacture's ink. The Pilot black has performed overwhelming and pleasing results. I am leaping out of a 5+ year Noodler's rut and knew no better(don't get me wrong, it is a good ink).

In addition, I purchased Diamine Saphire Blue to further branch out. The color was beautiful but I found the ink to be too thin and it makes the nib rough. I am very particular about the dance of the pen to paper. I have found myself in bed at night and visualizing the *perfect* writing experience.

The Pilot Custom Heritage 912 SFM nib is a little too large for me(Do you want it?). So, maybe you can relate: I'm still searching for the grail pen even though I'm to depart shortly on the new desert stint. I have my eye on the TWSBI Mini EF(Anybody have one up for a good deal or trade?).

The last time I was living in the desert was in a remote North African village, complete sand dunes. My home was open to the elements and everyday sand and dust was everywhere, everyday. And no A/C.

On this new stint, I'll be living in comparative luxury in an apartment and hope to have a few HEPA filter units. I'll also be teaching in a classroom with A/C. So, it ought not be too bad for the fountain pens. However, going outdoors in 115F(40C+) from an A/C environment out to be interesting for the pens.

Thank you and happy inking!

If you like the 912, but it is too big, consider its little brother (sister), the Namiki Falcon. They are very similar pens, just different sizes. The Falcon only takes a CON-50 converter, though. The metal Falcon is heavier and takes a CON-70. You can compare weights and sizes on nibs.com website.

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.