The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Any Suggestions For Reducing Burping With Ed And Piston Fillers?

eyedropper piston fill

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 drgt

drgt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:51

Charlie:

Filled to brim with 4mm beads, heat set it BUT still burps.

If I did not like how it writes I would toss it!

What to try next?

Sponsored Content

#42 AoKiu

AoKiu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:12

Get a Pelikan piston filler fountain pen, they don't burp even in tropical climate!

Ubi bene, ibi patria.

#43 drgt

drgt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:14

Sure!

But that is giving up... :)

#44 Johane

Johane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:47

Maybe if you had an air gap in your insert? Like a double-walled teacup, the air then acts as an insulator and isn't allowed to expand.

I actually have the opposite "problem" with my Indian ebonite eyedroppers -- as they run low on ink I get hard-starts to let me know it's time for a refill. I'm not sure what I'm doing different that's causing it...

• Maybe 'cause I keep them in a breast-pocket or clipped to my vest? So they're pre-heated when I go to use them.
  • Maybe 'cause I cut the ink channel extra-deep to make 'em wet, so there's more space for air to escape while it's nib-up?
  • Maybe 'cause I use wide/flex nibs they go thru any extra ink faster?

We just got my husband's pen (Ratnam Supreme) and we've been having the same problem, even though my husband has just filled the pen. We're both new to the fountain pen world, so we're not exactly sure what the problem is. He can get it writing for a bit, but then it just runs out of ink. If he lets it sit for a bit, the feed dries out completely... I can temporarily "solve" the problem by adding a few drops of ink into the feed from the nib side going towards the ink reservoir, but I shouldn't have to do so after having written for just a few minutes...

He's using Monteverde Black Ash ink, and right now he's a little frustrated with it because a pen full of ink should work every time you pick it up to write, and this is not the case. I'm doing more research to try to solve the problem, but if you have any advice, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

#45 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,335 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 17:21

I've never had a piston pen burp.......by old '50's MB & Pelikan instruction papers say let out three drops.....don't know about converters they seem to have an opposite problem.

Burping was one of the reasons every one got a Conklin and then a Sheaffer in 1912. No burping, because the rubber sac was a second wall that needed hand or weather warming to burp.

Indian climate ate rubber sacs or they were considered expensive to replace, so India stayed with the ED. 

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#46 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 19:31

With a piston filler, as the ink level gets lower, I adjust the piston so as to reduce the size of the ink chamber.

#47 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:56

With a piston filler, as the ink level gets lower, I adjust the piston so as to reduce the size of the ink chamber.

I dont know what piston filler you use, as at most any available hold <2ml of ink and I have never had one burp.

In line with the OP, i wonder if extending the feed system and combs up into the body of the pen, if that would help with burping? The feed lets air in normally, so that burps are minimized to a point where the combs can handle the volume.

#48 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,335 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:49

?????????

Are you talking about converters?

Or were you using converters before that and the habit remained, in your converter was a poor one.

Or is that a problem with the new Chinese piston pens?

As stated before I have no problem with my 50-60 piston pens needing to adjust the air volume.

I don't really consider an Ahab a piston pen....I may have had a problem similar with it, but it don't stick out much in my memory.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 26 February 2018 - 07:55.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#49 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 18:21

Agreed, I've never had my Pelikans burp.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper, piston fill

Sponsored Content

|