Any Suggestions For Reducing Burping With Ed And Piston Fillers?

edebill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgt

• Nomad

• edebill

• mhosea

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you had an air gap in your insert? Like a double-walled teacup, the air then acts as an insulator and isn't allowed to expand.

I actually have the opposite "problem" with my Indian ebonite eyedroppers -- as they run low on ink I get hard-starts to let me know it's time for a refill. I'm not sure what I'm doing different that's causing it...

• Maybe 'cause I keep them in a breast-pocket or clipped to my vest? So they're pre-heated when I go to use them.
  • Maybe 'cause I cut the ink channel extra-deep to make 'em wet, so there's more space for air to escape while it's nib-up?
  • Maybe 'cause I use wide/flex nibs they go thru any extra ink faster?

We just got my husband's pen (Ratnam Supreme) and we've been having the same problem, even though my husband has just filled the pen. We're both new to the fountain pen world, so we're not exactly sure what the problem is. He can get it writing for a bit, but then it just runs out of ink. If he lets it sit for a bit, the feed dries out completely... I can temporarily "solve" the problem by adding a few drops of ink into the feed from the nib side going towards the ink reservoir, but I shouldn't have to do so after having written for just a few minutes...

He's using Monteverde Black Ash ink, and right now he's a little frustrated with it because a pen full of ink should work every time you pick it up to write, and this is not the case. I'm doing more research to try to solve the problem, but if you have any advice, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I've never had a piston pen burp.......by old '50's MB & Pelikan instruction papers say let out three drops.....don't know about converters they seem to have an opposite problem.

Burping was one of the reasons every one got a Conklin and then a Sheaffer in 1912. No burping, because the rubber sac was a second wall that needed hand or weather warming to burp.

Indian climate ate rubber sacs or they were considered expensive to replace, so India stayed with the ED.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

With a piston filler, as the ink level gets lower, I adjust the piston so as to reduce the size of the ink chamber.

I dont know what piston filler you use, as at most any available hold <2ml of ink and I have never had one burp.

In line with the OP, i wonder if extending the feed system and combs up into the body of the pen, if that would help with burping? The feed lets air in normally, so that burps are minimized to a point where the combs can handle the volume.

With a piston filler, as the ink level gets lower, I adjust the piston so as to reduce the size of the ink chamber.

?????????

Are you talking about converters?

Or were you using converters before that and the habit remained, in your converter was a poor one.

Or is that a problem with the new Chinese piston pens?

As stated before I have no problem with my 50-60 piston pens needing to adjust the air volume.

I don't really consider an Ahab a piston pen....I may have had a problem similar with it, but it don't stick out much in my memory.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 year later...

I am just wondering whether a plastic eyedropper tool (which comes with most eyedropper pens) inserted into the pen’s exit hole could not act as an inner ink chamber; just a thought, I haven’t given it a go? As no one has mentioned the possibility I imagine it wouldn’t work?
Regards

Dupontdelamare

I am just wondering whether a plastic eyedropper tool (which comes with most eyedropper pens) inserted into the pen’s exit hole could not act as an inner ink chamber; just a thought, I haven’t given it a go? As no one has mentioned the possibility I imagine it wouldn’t work?
Regards

Dupontdelamare

I've never had a piston filler burp...

They get a little wetter when they're at the very bottom of their supply, but I've never seen one burp from air temp.

It's pretty rare for an ED to burp when the nib and feed are properly set, there's silicone grease on the threads of the section (this is important, a lot of pens burp because there's an air leak, even a tiny one.) and the pen is kept above 1/4 full.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

We just got my husband's pen (Ratnam Supreme) and we've been having the same problem, even though my husband has just filled the pen. We're both new to the fountain pen world, so we're not exactly sure what the problem is. He can get it writing for a bit, but then it just runs out of ink. If he lets it sit for a bit, the feed dries out completely... I can temporarily "solve" the problem by adding a few drops of ink into the feed from the nib side going towards the ink reservoir, but I shouldn't have to do so after having written for just a few minutes...

He's using Monteverde Black Ash ink, and right now he's a little frustrated with it because a pen full of ink should work every time you pick it up to write, and this is not the case. I'm doing more research to try to solve the problem, but if you have any advice, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hi

I am sorry to reply to an old post but hoping it helps someone. Ebonite feeds need some priming. Ie contact with ink to make the flow well. Pls follow the filling and priming instructions in this guide

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1510063638__41a4f767-41af-49ee-838e-785ae2c2bb47.jpeg

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2015 at 1:05 AM, rockydoggy said:

Except for my Recife Crystal pens (which have been leak-free from the start), I’ve had a major problem with ink-burping with almost all of the eyedroppers I’ve purchased over the years. I’ve switched out nibs and feeds on some of them using ones from NoNonesense pens makes a difference, but only in a few cases. Warming the pen by holding it upright also helps a bit, but I often want simply to grab a pen and write without waiting; and some of my pens still burped anyway. Topping off the pen with ink helps, though I rotate pens frequently and would prefer not to keep a large-capacity pen filled just so I can use it. Of course, this may mean that eyedroppers aren’t for me; I admit that I’m being stubborn. In any case, after reading about the Pilot Tank eyedropper that has an insert to lessen its ink capacity-- https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273977-elusive-pilot-tank/ --I decided to try that approach.

I hunted around a while and finally settled on small plastic beads. I was assuming that they’d be pretty stable when exposed to ink. Also, I could easily adjust the given pen's capacity. Besides, the clear ones would look cool in transparent barrels. Here’s an example of what I’ve been using (no connex to the vendor):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200pc-Faceted-Plastic-Transparent-Beads-Round-4mm-Clear-beads-/281164396123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4176b4365b

I wonder if the fact that the beads are pierced makes a difference—I suspect not. In fact, I’m not at all certain that this strategy is a guaranteed fix; however, it seems to be curbing the leak-problem in several eyedroppers that I’ve not been able to use previously.

Rockydoggy, I tried using carbon ball bearings, but the Sailor ink in my Ranga 9B seemed to react with them forming filaments which prevented the ink-flow. I’m not sure whether these ball bearings have some sort of slippery coating or whether it was the carbon itself that caused the reaction, or simply the air trapped around the ball bearings. 
Did you find any similar reaction with the beads you tried? How many beads did you use? 
I am now thinking of trying bohemian crystal beads as I suppose they should be neutral to the ink. I’ll let you know how this experiment goes. 
Incidentally, I have had no burping with my Chinese EDs, which may be down to the difference in feed. The simpler ebonite feed structure might be the cause. I’ll try changing that if this doesn’t work.

regards

DpdlM

On 12/8/2019 at 5:07 AM, hari317 said:

Hi

I am sorry to reply to an old post but hoping it helps someone. Ebonite feeds need some priming. Ie contact with ink to make the flow well. Pls follow the filling and priming instructions in this guide

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1510063638__41a4f767-41af-49ee-838e-785ae2c2bb47.jpeg

I have a Koloro, which is an ED with shut-off valve. I've only used the valve during air travel. The pen has, as @hari317 mentions, a modern plastic feed. I has never burped in three years of regular use.

Add lightness and simplicate.