Twsbi Mini Leak

cancoi

So, my beloved (and rather young) Mini w/a Pendleton BLS-F just developed an ink leak. I am not really certain where & hoping for some help. I initally noted it when I uncapped the pen (which was holding Fuyu-gaki) & started to write, noting that the ink seemed to be on the section. Looked at the section w/my lighted loupe & saw nothing. Decided to empty the pen & see if a problem. I saw no cracks on the threads of the body/section attachment, nor cracks at the nib/section attachment. Let it sit overnight w/water to see if I might replicate; nothing.

So, decided to ink up again, only to have the same happen, with ink about the bottom half of the section after uncapping (pen stored upright).

So, any ideas? Should I just contact TWSBI customer service?

Thanks in advance,

Jen.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cancoi

• sirius1906

• Flounder

• Oldparkerguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two things Jen. First, did you remove the section at any time and maybe get some ink on the barrels end by mistake? Second, have you tried tightening the section a bit? You have to hold the metal part of the section to tighten it since the clear section is now free wheeling and not intended to be used for tightening.The actual sealing surfaces are where the feed end meets the interior of the barrels end protusion:

____________________ mates to this surface on feed

------------------- |

| |

|----------- | ________

| | | -- >|

| | | |________

|-----------

| /\

------------------- |

|

------------------------ sealing surface is inside, here.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Rudy,

No, I did not remove the section the first time I noticed the ink on the section. I cleaned out the barrel section of ink, snugged per your recommendations, & will see if it leaks in the morning, sitting upright.

Wrap some blutack or damp paper towel around the section to pinpoint the leak. My guess is cracked feed sleeve.

That's my guess as well. I had a similar issue with one of my white rose gold mini, sent it to Philip. He said it was a cracked feed sleeve, and fixed it for me. I don't remember the exact turn around time, but it was really quick, maybe 1 week?

Baba Booey!

Jen, I have had four Mini's including one by Pendelton Brown...they all developed leaks, cracks in the threads just above the section. Sorry for this but that's my experience. I have a new 580 Rose and gold now...we shall see if it's a good one.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Wrap some blutack or damp paper towel around the section to pinpoint the leak. My guess is cracked feed sleeve.

Another cracked TWSBI Mini feed sleeve here. I'm awaiting a replacement part from the store I purchased the original pen from. I hope the replacement lasts longer, ~4 months of occasional use (once or twice per week) is hardly putting a pen through its paces.

Matt

My mini leaked in that area as well. However a good cleaning to ensure the surfaces mated properly did the trick. As much as i like TWSBI's, both the mini and the classic seem to suffer in this regard.

I just got a Vac 700 back from Phillip Wang at TWSBI (cracks developing in thr barrel) Out and back Calif. to central Pennsylvania was a week. Very fast service and also very pleasant.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

could all these cracking issues due to over tightening?

Phillip @ TWSBI thought the barrel cracking on Vac 700 I had was caused by overtightening but I never had it apart.

It got pretty cold here in the mountains a couple of times in the past 2 months.

Edited by Oldparkerguy

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

So, I changed ink & really cleaned the feed nib well: So far, so good. (We'll see how long this lasts. In the meantime, I'm starting to look for a pen body that might hold this lovely nib...)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well with my TWSBI Diamond 580, which I have sent to TWSBI once before for cracked threads at the base of the barrel. No matter which ink I put in it, it eventually leaks out.

• 1 month later...

I just received my second TWSBI Mini. Though I encountered a cracked cap (quickly replaced) with the first one, everything seems intact on the new one. I anxiously filled it and found the nib to be very smooth and a nice writer. I went to use it a second time, got my fingers inky and noticed that when I held the pen with the nib pointing down, significant drops of ink pour out of the nib end of the feed. Contrary to my regular procedure I did not pre-clean this pen. I'm leery of doing any tightening because of the propensity to crack. Does anyone have any suggestions-I'm really looking forward to carrying this pen as a daily user! (The first pen was black; this one is a Classic.)

Thank you very much.

My (Mini Classic) pen is now fine. The two drips occurred only after the initial fill and have not occurred again. There are mold parting lines parallel to the pen's axis in the threads but that's all they are. They could incorrectly be interpreted as cracks but higher magnification shows they are not cracks and are not in any way problematic. My pen is a winner!

My (Mini Classic) pen is now fine. The two drips occurred only after the initial fill and have not occurred again. There are mold parting lines parallel to the pen's axis in the threads but that's all they are. They could incorrectly be interpreted as cracks but higher magnification shows they are not cracks and are not in any way problematic. My pen is a winner!

Omg, you're the inverse flash?? 😱😱😱

• 3 years later...

I was one that sweared that TWSBIs did not leak or crack. Well, its being a couple of years... This mini had once the clip snatched out as I pulled her out of a soft fabric case from HisNibs.com. Everyone knows how soft they are. The same one now is apparently leaking at the juncture OR is cracked. I know they are inexpensive, and I'm glad that I have two of them, but this should not happen. And hell NO! they are not THAT inexpensive!!! The ECOs are inexpensive and mine have not suffered from leaks,,, not any of the 3 that I have... Anyway, This is the classic and I'm thinking if maybe over-tightening can cause a crack, not that this is the case here. I still don't know. I will empty and look with a loupe during the week to see what could be the cause. Replacing this part or barrel (I think it could be a non-functioning O-ring also) would make this pen almost completely new, since TWSBI had already sent me a new cap to replace the broken clip!!! Yikes.. I haven't used it even that much, just to make "fancy" writing with the 1.1 mm nib it has...

Just as a matter of documentation... BTW so far I cannot detect a crack!

post-113799-0-32930000-1535212177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lamyrada