Just Starting And Looking For Some Criticism.

GNTravis

Hello, I've Just joined FPN, but I have been snooping about for a week or so. I recently started too take an interest in improving my handwriting and in doing so discovered I absolutely love learning calligraphy. I've sparked quite a passion for it and now after a week of practice I'm looking for some feedback.

I bought a cheapie speedball oblique kit and I have been practicing with it. I will be shelling out for a higher end holder and pens, just as soon as I progress a bit more.

So please take a look at my sample I'd love to hear some of your impressions, My eye seems to scrutinize every stroke I make. Constantly throwing myself into frustration over my spacing and slant. I imagine it will get worse once I start on capitals and shading.

Much Appreciation,

Travis

post-120841-0-03044900-1424660637_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• GNTravis

• linearM

• BookCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read, read, read! IAMPETH (www.iampeth.com) has a truck-load of tutorials and books -- most of them older than dirt -- on how to write. Written by penmen that wrote for a living, every day, all day. That is better advice than any else that you will get.

Your writing looks good, certainly can be made "better" by practice and study. So have fun and don't forget to HAVE FUN.

And Welcome to FPN. We love to have newbies growing our site. Don't forget to post your work.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The secret of good penmanship is practice. One way to get the practice and have fun, and gain friends, and much more is to write letters. Put your practicing to work. This month check out lettermo.com and you will find people who like to write, and use fountain pens, and are interesting. Also, check out the write stuff here on FPN and as Randal6393 said go to IAMPETH.

Randal, please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't IAMPETH mostly about Spencerian and American Business Hand? It looks as though Travis is aiming at something more like Copperplate, especially as (he)'s using an oblique holder. Are there any websites or good books which could be recommended for this style? I'm more of an Italic person.

:W2FPN: Have lots of fun here and with your pens.

Thanks for all the great advice and directions. The IAMPETH website is sublime, thank you kindly!

I do have another more specific question; Is it counter productive to practice in more than one script at one time?

My interests are mostly in Spencerian and Copperplate, but Blackletter and Italic are both just as alluring to me.

So would it be damaging to overall learning by spending part of my free time in a day on Spencerian and a part on Blackletter? Is it best to just focus on one until I've become reasonably fluent?

Edited by GNTravis

Not really, Book Cat. The IAMPETH website has sections on Copperplate/Round Hand/ Engrossing or Engraving Script. All are names for the same general family of hands. My beginning studies in Copperplate were greatly aided by IAMPETH and Dr. Joe Vitolo's videos of each letter in the standard Copperplate repertoire. Of course, finding it all on the website ... well, that's a bit tricky.

GNTravis, there are different opinions on whether one should learn hands together or one at a time. Spencerian is written with a pointed nib in an oblique holder (or fountain pen with a flex nib) -- usually. Blackletter and Italic are written with chisel-edged, broad pens, either dip or fountain. So you would need both types of nibs and straight as well as oblique holders. Not a problem, just more equipment. How good are you at multi-tasking? If you can keep the hands separate and the strokes in order, should have no problem doing both hands at the same time. And it is fun to change pace by trying a different hand.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

My beginning studies in Copperplate were greatly aided by IAMPETH and Dr. Joe Vitolo's videos of each letter in the standard Copperplate repertoire. Of course, finding it all on the website ... well, that's a bit tricky.

These are much easier to find as Dr. Vitolo has uploaded them all to YouTube now.