Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard - Nurse Pen - Code Blue

gweimer1

I got this "lovely" piece last week. It's a real nurse pen, and not the shorter purse pen. I'm about to find out how much I've learned over the past year. What concerns me are all the scratches that appear to have coloration (metal friction?) embedded in them. I'm also working on a yellow pencil that has the same issue, and two months of trying hasn't helped that one. Wish me luck.

fpn_1424629561__esterbrook_nursepen_befo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• OcalaFlGuy

• mmg122

• Tom Heath

Wondering if multiple sessions in the ultrasonic could at least get some of that out. Also, dishwashing soap and a toothbrush as a first resort. Some very cautious use of grit paper may also work to expose the less tarnish surface underneath? Those would be my first steps, as an amateur restorer. Hope the pros will weigh in.

Would love to see your progress!

Edited by spaceink

I am sure you know Exactly, Precisely, in minute detail, what I'D do.

[EDIT] Whatever that is around the lever does not look good.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I figured it would be good to shoot this one as it came in on the stretcher so see how successful this will be. I'm also leaning towards laundry detergent with the toothbrush as a starter.

No. I just unscrewed it a little to line up the clip and lever bar. Old habits die hard. The nib is the only reasonably clean part of this pen, and looks to be a decent 2968.

Hey -- if it's a nurse's pen, what color is the jewel? I'm not partial to those in general, but if one with a red or green jewel fell into my lap someday (for a really great price) I might not be averse to having it hang around for a while.

But it would have to be a really phenomenal deal, so I'm not exactly on the hunt.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The jewels are black, but the capped length is 4.75". My CH purse pen is 4.38" capped. Am I correct in thinking that the pens were color coded for three shifts?

Round 1 complete - I just cleaned the cap with laundry soap and a toothbrush.

fpn_1424642376__nurse_pen_2.jpg

Yikes.

It's err...engraved.

Gary, I think you can make those go away, but they are pretty bad.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Maybe a bit of baking soda with the detergent, using a soft cloth...?

Best,

Daniel

I just did that with the toothbrush and laundry soft, while gently brushing. It really helped digging out some of that color, but I still need to work on the actual scratches. I have found that the lightest grit for a headlight lens kit is a good size and reasonable starting point. Thanks!

I'll get pics up at the next chance I get.

Best of luck on nursing that one back to good health.

Even all mucked up I would still use something like that as a daily writer.

Lovely job on the cap!

If you can't remove all the other coloration and scratches, as intended, it actually looks pretty cool on its own with all the war scars, like a very bad ass nurse from a Tarantino/Rodriguez movie.

Edited by spaceink

I'm in the (very) conservative camp when it comes to cleaning/ repairing/ restoring.

Go slow and easy when cleaning and (if you must) polishing. Not need to overdo. The cap looks fantastic. Excellent job!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Is that Dr. Moe Howard, Dr. Larry Fine & Dr. Curly Howard?

I have one of these Esties I need to clean up.

You do a good job on yours I'll consider making an appointment at your hospital..

If you want to preserve as a collector, light cleaning, don't do heavy polishing.

If you don't care about the collectability of it, then VERY find sand paper (2000 grit or finer) to take down the top layer and most of the scratches. But you are also likely to take down the plastic around the Esterbrook lettering. Then gradually move to finer abrasives to take out the sandpaper scratches. Or try the Novus 3 scratch remover. I have not used it on a pen this scratched, so I cannot say how good a job it will do.

Also do NOT put the body into an USC, as you will likely rust the lever and/or C ring, and/or J-bar and/or metal end piece.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

With all due respect to my pen friend Gary.

That pen will Never, ever, never, be a collectible in the condition it is now.

IMO it would take Quite the stringent C-Worder to say that Now is preferable to even Over polished assuming all those

scratches could be removed. (And I've removed worse than this.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It's a white slightly abrasive sponge that disintegrates as it's used, but I find the most helpful. BTW Rinso makes one too, cheaper and sometimes available at the 99c store. Good luck.

The jewels are black, but the capped length is 4.75". My CH purse pen is 4.38" capped. Am I correct in thinking that the pens were color coded for three shifts?

Round 1 complete - I just cleaned the cap with laundry soap and a toothbrush.

fpn_1424642376__nurse_pen_2.jpg

The color coded jewels did represent hospital shifts...green for afternoons (3-11), red for nights (11-7) and black (blue) for day shift (7-3). Nice find...should be fun restoring it.