thatotherguy1

Since the late 1960's, it has been a Parker 45. Somethings just work.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thatotherguy1

• Blue_Moon

• Frank C

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm new to fountain pens and FPN but I'm throwing my answer in the mix so that I can come back in the future, read my answer and laugh at my own naivety

A. Pelikan M600 Blue Striated (one of the most handsome pens I've seen)

B. Parker 51 (a design classic, if a little of a safe choice)

C. I definitely do not have enough experience to answer here.

Edited by Reevers

Matt

Yeah - you can't beat their customer service anywhere. I've got the 19 and 66. On my list are the 02 and 03. I debated forever about the 02 Smoke & Ice vs. the Anderson Pens Special 02. If you haven't seen theirs, go to the Anderson Pens website and take a look. Actually, I was going to put a link in, but they're currently out of stock. If you want to see their version of the 19, it's in stock. The blue on it is the same as the blue that's on their 02. I don't care for their version of the 03 - all blue. Anyway, for now, the Anderson Pens 02 is winning the battle. However, before I buy, the tide may turn.

Just as an aside - you can get a translucent black (smoke) and a demonstrator 823 from Japan. The only one available in America is the amber. The demonstrator would look gorgeous with whatever ink color, but I'll give it to you - I think the Smoke & Ice may look better as an eyedropper. :)

Edited to add: Well, I reopened the Anderson Pens website in the other tab, and now the picture's showing. It wasn't earlier, and I thought they took it out because they were out of stock. Here it is: http://www.andersonpens.com/Franklin-Christoph-Model-02-Anderson-Pens-Edition-p/fc02.htm

An 823 in smoke or clear is on my list . . . eventually. The Anderson's blue is a bit too much for me, and I generally am not a black pen person. I just managed to grab one of the ones made with the last of their old maroon acrylic, with a black finial, which makes three for me - I also have an Emerald and a Smoke and Ice. I also have a 03 in Ruby Ice. It's really nice, and I use it a lot, but there's just *something* about the posted 02 that really works for my hand. I'd like to try the Stabilis. In fact I went to *buy* a Stabilis, but ended up with the limited edition 02. It's hard to pass over a pen you know you love in a color you've been looking for when it's the last one. I think of it as supporting the economy.

An 823 in smoke or clear is on my list . . . eventually. The Anderson's blue is a bit too much for me, and I generally am not a black pen person. I just managed to grab one of the ones made with the last of their old maroon acrylic, with a black finial, which makes three for me - I also have an Emerald and a Smoke and Ice. I also have a 03 in Ruby Ice. It's really nice, and I use it a lot, but there's just *something* about the posted 02 that really works for my hand. I'd like to try the Stabilis. In fact I went to *buy* a Stabilis, but ended up with the limited edition 02. It's hard to pass over a pen you know you love in a color you've been looking for when it's the last one. I think of it as supporting the economy.

My overall favorite pen of all my pens (all brands) is the 19. I love that pen. I love my 66 too, but the 19 edges it out. You're doing it again - making me want to bump that 02 to the top of my list. :D

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I don't want to have only one pen. I use pens for different purposes, so no one pen suits every purpose. Having said that, my 92-year-old mother has a Parker 51 her father gave her in the forties. She has been using it with Sheaffer Peacock Blue ink ever since. One pen, one ink, one mother!

Love that. I would say a 45 should run the same years as good. That would be my choice.

My overall favorite pen of all my pens (all brands) is the 19. I love that pen. I love my 66 too, but the 19 edges it out. You're doing it again - making me want to bump that 02 to the top of my list. :D

You asked for imagination, and you are enthralled with pens that are named only with numbers. Think about it.

(Please note that I admire F-C pens, and spent about 1/2 an hour talking with Jim Rouse at their table at the LA Pen Show a couple weeks ago)

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

You asked for imagination, and you are enthralled with pens that are named only with numbers. Think about it.

(Please note that I admire F-C pens, and spent about 1/2 talking with Jim Rouse at their table at the LA Pen Show a couple weeks ago)

Hey, math is *all* about imagination. :) (Sorry, I majored in math and I loved number theory and abstract algebra!)

For my one vintage pen, I'd go with my Waterman 52V--it's a wet noodle and it's great both for writing and sketching.

For my one current production pen, I would kill to find my Nakaya Naka-ai aka-tamenuri with a BB ground to a stub. Great pen, and then I lost it in the house somewhere, whoops.

I'd miss my other pens if they went, but I could be pretty happy with just those two.

If you could only have one fountain pen to use for every situation...for the rest of your life what would it be and why? You do not have to currently own the pen for it to count. If you'd prefer to or can't narrow it down to a production pen and/or only one pen, answer in three categories-A) A modern, production pen, B ) A vintage pen, C) A hypothetical and/or custom pen that does not exist (at least yet)

My answer is C. A pen for a lifetime must be nearly unbreakable, convenient, and flexible in ways that current pens are not. It must be able to survive a significant drop, say 100'. Length, girth, weight, and weight distribution would be variable and selectable. The pen would have no cap, but instead of a click mechanism like a VP, the section would open from the body, like a telescope. It would be a cartridge pen, but unlike today's cartridges and mechanism, it would be like a pistol clip integrated into the body that permits rapid changing of high capacity cartridges. The cartridges would fill quickly and neatly from specially designed ink containers. One of the cartridges would be null, so that the pen could serve as an electronic stylus when a retractable hood is introduced over the nib. The pen would have GPS for easy locating, and bluetooth or next generation wireless connectivity with a memory chip for recording electronic writing. For instance, you could make notes by writing in the air and the pen would store what you've written. The nib would write on anything from wax paper to computer screens to the highest quality cotton fiber. Finally, the pen would be hardware and firmware upgradeable,with upgrades and repairs performed on the spot.

A. Heritage 91 or 912 by Pilot

B. Lamy 2000 (this bounces between the 2 but it's "vintage")

C. I dreamt of a pen made out of japanese tamahagane steel (you know the same stuff used by Japanese sword smiths to make those katanas, and it has to be forged like a katana) or a solid diamond pen (a demonstrator pen carved out of solid diamond) probably lever filler (nib is also carved out of a diamond in the glass nib shape) how much these 2 pens will set you back will be like getting a dunill namiki after all a real katana goes for 200K USD at minimum

Edited by Algester

To me that would be like having pasta and sugo every night. Now, I like (to make and eat) a good pasta sauce, I get some praise for my sugo, but having it every day?

Still I'll play - Lamy Safari, F nib, Aurora Black. It would do for most any writing task, but I would find it a bit boring...

That being said, I also find my 10-12 inked pens frustrating at times, but I have very little impulse control when it comes to testing different pens and ink, and have not yet found a workaround that will last.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

My platinum Montblanc 146. Iit's why I have bought them first, (I'm not a collector and have just two pens) I love the look, the size and the way they write.

Ink would be Kon Peki

post-118139-0-96579800-1425734783_thumb.jpg

post-118139-0-31898700-1425734808_thumb.jpg

What you describe is my Parker 45. Only one exception, however. When I carried it in jeans pocket,

it broke, damaging clothes, a saddle, and a bum. Otherwise, since pre-college, a Parker 45 has been

the pen-in-pocket for 45 years.

They are not expensive. So, if you insist on jeans carry, buy two..

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I don't appreciate your post! I am TRYING to save for a Pilot 823. The F-C 02 was already on my short list. It was just that the 823 was first. You are making me lose objectivity, and bump the 02 to the top. Please stop this sort of talk immediately!!! :angry:

I agree that this is a "dangerous" (i.e. expensive) topic. Now I just realized that there is another pen that everyone thinks is wonderful and it happens to have my initials engraved on top. What choice do I have?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Sheaffer Targa

After years of collecting a bit of everything, these have been simply the best. They're not too bulky, but they're not delicate either. The snap-on cap is good. The pocket clip is good. The squeeze converter holds a good bit of ink, and it's quick and easy to fill or refill the pen. The smoothly tapered grip section is comfortable in my hand and easy to wipe off after filling. The nibs are almost always outstanding.

They came in so many different finishes, you can find one that pleases you. My favorite is probably my sterling silver Targa with the fine gold nib. However, my common chrome-plated Targa with a steel nib gets plenty of use too.

I agree that this is a "dangerous" (i.e. expensive) topic. Now I just realized that there is another pen that everyone thinks is wonderful and it happens to have my initials engraved on top. What choice do I have?

That is too cool. :thumbup:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

For a very long time I had one pen to rule them all - a Waterman Phileas and I suppose if I had to live with it for the rest of my life I would not be unhappy. But... if I could choose today - it would be the MB 146 - I have 3 and this is what does it for me. It is a good looking item that works well, doesn't cost an insane amount of money so that I would not be miserable if I had to replace it and has seen hard daily action but has never backed down from writing. Ink would be Baystate Blue because I have it in one of my pens and it is hypnotic to see it on Clairefontaine...

Edit - I like PerryJ's combination with Kon Peki too!

Edited by shawndp

I can't limit to one pen. I just can't.

That being said...

A) modern/modern-ish: either my ebonite Konrad or the Pelikan M400 brown tortoise F; of course, I'd be hard pressed to say goodbye to my blue Parker Vector firehose that is a great pen for running iron gall inks in

B) vintage: that's a no brainer -- my Parker 51 Aero Demi (the Plummer). But it would be really difficult to give up the Silver Pearl Vac Major, simply for the amount of ink it holds.... Or the Pelikan 400 with the OB nib.....

C) Not a clue.... Not feeling creative/imaginative at the moment.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For me. It would be my Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, M-nib. He is smooth, robust (lacquered metal), appealed, and substantial in my hand. He's never let me down.

For only one pen, I wouldn't trust any type of plastic/resin.

Edited by Daedalus1

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/sinthavalai/lamy2000.jpg

My fountain pens:

Parker Duofold, Sonnet,Premier

Pelikan Souverän M1000, M800, M805, M600, M400 White tortoise

Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, Valor,

Lamy 2000, Vista, Safari, Joy ,Studio

Montblanc Meisterstück 149, Pilot 78G