The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Old Epenco Lever Filler - Ink Sac Size?

epenco eagle ink sac gold plated restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boybacon

boybacon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:21

Hello for the THIRD time, o mighty experts on fountain pens  :)

Today, in my newbie buying frenzy, I spent $8.00 on this Epenco lever filler.  It's DEFINITELY a gold plated nib  :lol:

The ink sac came out in 1 piece (well, two if you include the "collar" attached to the nib/feed section).  The clip has "EPENCO" on it (along with some corrosion), and the band on the cap is faceted (kind of cool! Also a little corrosion). Lever is gold plated, also with a little corrosion.  I really like the color and condition of the celluloid body, which is why I purchased it.  The nib is losing some of it's gold plating and is stamped "EPENCO" over "NEW YORK" over "US PATS" over "2054306" and "25054307" over "MADE IN USA"

I have only two questions for this one.

Question #1:  Any idea how to remove the "collar" of the old in sac shellaced into place on the nib/feed section?

Question #2:  What's the best way to determine the sac size for this one?  The old sack is as hard as a rock, and I'd like to keep this pen as a writer.  

Attached Images

• epenco 1.jpg
  • epenco2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:51

Question #1:  Any idea how to remove the "collar" of the old in sac shellaced into place on the nib/feed section?
Question #2:  What's the best way to determine the sac size for this one?  The old sack is as hard as a rock, and I'd like to keep this pen as a writer.  

1 - A little heat and some scraping.

2 - Test different sizes until you find one that fits.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#3 boybacon

boybacon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:56

Thanks, Daniel.  Is it worth restoring to a writeable condition, do you think?  I'm new to fountain pens, and really new to old fountain pens.

#4 boybacon

boybacon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:29

This pen ended up taking a #20 ink sack.  I used a little Flitz polish on the barrel and cap, and it really brought out the depth of the plastic/celluloid.  It's a very pretty brown with just a hint of orange.  It writes with a fine line, and not much variation.  It's a little scratchy which I half expected for what I paid.  I'll post some photos and a review when I get a chance.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have some free time.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epenco, eagle, ink sac, gold plated, restore

Sponsored Content

|