The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Testing Inks For Bacteria And Mold

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LindaM

LindaM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 23:45

Just saw this today - it's a way to know for sure if anything is growing in the inks that are being experimented with, without having to just 'wait and see'.

http://www.lotioncra...ioncrafter.html

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 13:05

Wow, that's nifty. Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#3 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 16:41

Great find! I was originally envisioning some kind of machine that checks for signs of organic life (protein structures, simple and complex sugars), but this is a much more elegant and easy to obtain solution.

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#4 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2015 - 19:45

There are a number of these kinds of kits listed at ColeParmer. Basically $40 per 10 tests.

http://www.coleparme...gar/EW-99532-46

The thing is these tests are designed to be dipped in the liquid being tested. If you had a sterile qtip, you could rub the ink over the medium, but I don't know what that would do to the colony counts after incubation.

You can also do this if you make up some agar plates in a petri dish and use an inoculating loop then see if anything grows. But inks rarely have sugars for bacteria, molds, yeasts to consume.

#5 LindaM

LindaM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 21:00

The sterile swabs are included in the kit. Or you could sterilize a metal spoon and pour the ink over the sticks. How many colonies you get isn't the issue so much as the fact that there are colonies. SITB happens, and when you're deliberately adding unknown substances like luster dust to the ink, it'd be good to know that nothing grew in the ink before putting it in a pen.

To make up agar petri dishes right you need to follow sterile procedure, such as wiping down your workspace with alcohol, wearing gloves, keeping the agar sterile (hard to do without an autoclave), all that ritual. Otherwise the odds of a false positive go way up. Not to mention it's difficult to buy that stuff in small quantities. These kits just make it a lot more convenient.

#6 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 22:48

I think it is super helpful. Thank you so much for the link.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#7 Brianm_14

Brianm_14

Write like no one is watching

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2018 - 21:08

Writing as a microbiologist, I'd say that this sort of kit is great for anyone without training in sterile technique and access to some sort of lab. If you follow the directions carefully, you should get reliable results.
Brian

Sponsored Content

|