Nakaya Shu-Nurippanashi Or Aka - Tamenuri Finish

bruhuhuhu

Hi all, I've been wanting to pick up a nakaya portable writer, but I am not sure which finish i should pick.

I use and carry all the pens that i own around; even in my shirt pocket sometimes. I usually prefer a matt finish on my pen (lamy 2k, visconti HS), so any micro scratches would be hidden. Don't get me wrong, I do take good care of my pens, but glossy finishes seem to pick up scratches even if you just leave them in the air.. (OCD guy wants a user pen :lticaptd: )

However, i am smitten by the aka-tamenuri finish on the nakaya. How does this finish hold up to micro scratches given the high gloss? Shu-nurippanashi seems to be a matt finish and it might require less maintenance. I do love both of them, but aka-tamenuri really makes me want to go for a glossy pen this time.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bruhuhuhu

• sarahfar

• penviper

• Earthdawn

Shu sounds to be what you want. The Aka is very glossy.

sarahfar is right and would know for sure lol.

Aka is a super glossy, shiny finish ...

The Shu has a more matte look but alone may seem to be shiny. Put it next to an Aka and you can really see the difference. The Shu finish also has a different feel as well. It's ultra smooth while having a more tactical feel to it.

In the end to be honest you will probably end up with both. Nakaya are like Skittles as you will find out for you self over time.

Very very addicting.

You are correct that the Aka and Heki are about equally glossy. You might want to consider the Matte Hairline Black, which is not glossy at all and has a wonderful feel in the hand.

Left to Right in picture below are Aka Tamenuri Neo Standard, Matte Hairline Black Neo Standard, and Heki Tamenuri Naka Ai.

I fell in love with the Aka Tamenuri Dorsal Fin 1 at LA Pen Show. That will be my next, maybe replacing the two Neo Standards I already have.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B13E496DA-48E5-4E26-AC7E-3D8B3315D831%7D/origpict/DSCN7960.JPG

I have an unpolished shu Naka Ai and a shiro-tamenuri piccolo (seen in my avatar). While I love the size and shape of the Naka-Ai and the brick-red, the tamenuri pen is just so special. The finish is almost liquid and it has a very different feel in the hand, much smoother and softer than the shu.

This comfort occurs mostly because the threads and section step of the shiro are polished smooth and covered with urushi while the threads and the step of the shu are much sharper.

I don't know if the threads and step of the aka-tameuri pens are smooth. They don't look glossy, and its the gloss on the threads and step that make the shiro more comfortable to me. The heki sections on the other hand have a polished look, which to me feels much better.

Its a small detail but one that makes a big difference in how the different pen finishes feel.

The weight and balance on both my pens is superb.

Edited by LuckyKate

You are correct that the Aka and Heki are about equally glossy. You might want to consider the Matte Hairline Black, which is not glossy at all and has a wonderful feel in the hand.

Left to Right in picture below are Aka Tamenuri Neo Standard, Matte Hairline Black Neo Standard, and Heki Tamenuri Naka Ai.

I fell in love with the Aka Tamenuri Dorsal Fin 1 at LA Pen Show. That will be my next, maybe replacing the two Neo Standards I already have.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B13E496DA-48E5-4E26-AC7E-3D8B3315D831%7D/origpict/DSCN7960.JPG

Thanks for the pics. hope it helps the thread starter in his acquisition.

As for me, this beautiful pic had definitely helped me... I think I will go for the Heki :)

Edited by penviper

Thanks for the pics. hope it helps the thread starter in his acquisition.

As for me, this beautiful pic had definitely helped me... I think I will go for the Heki :)

Thanks once again for the picture. I will go with the shu unpolished definitely!

I have a shu and a kuro tamenuri, and have had the heki tamenuri and the aka tamenuri. As to your original question about scratches, I carry them (very often kimono-less) in a jacket pocket every day and they seem to me to be pretty scratch-resistant.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

nice as always ....

Thank you !

simply beautiful.. may I request for half naked line up... uncapped. wanted to see if heki is more beautiful than aka, the inner beauty...lol

Sure thing... here ya go. I should have takin this and posted it as well. It shows the true colors better and the depth of each finish.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/347C9709-9193-426D-B638-4B71F1CBA53F_zpstjdck6o7.jpg

Thank you !

Sure thing... here ya go. I should have takin this and posted it as well. It shows the true colors better and the depth of each finish.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/347C9709-9193-426D-B638-4B71F1CBA53F_zpstjdck6o7.jpg

Beauty!!! thank you very much for the pics!!!

I will go for heki!

Edited by penviper

Scratches on a pen impart a Wabi Sabi character to it. If scratches are something you have a great concern then maybe you should get one that is already "broken". Like the Negoro Shiro-tame. I doubt you would notice any small scratches with those big honking pieces missing from the urushi surface. Small scratches would probably blend in.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Great photos!

The unpolished shu is my favorite (closely followed in a tie by kuro tamenuri, heki tamenuri, and the shiro tamenuri Negoro) (and the matte black hairline, which has a lovely texture). I've wondered if Nakaya could make the unpolished shu matte like the hairline. I think I have seen a photo of that, actually. Probably Leigh Reyes has one.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that while the unpolished shu isn't super glossy like the other tamenuri finishes, it is still a shiny finish. And the urushi is very durable.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.