How Much Is Too Much

prophoss

As I compose my second letter to a new pen pal I have noticed a small problem. I ramble, a lot! So the question becomes how much should I share with a new pen-pal? Letters are essentially one sided conversations and I worry that I sound like I'm bragging(which I might be since I am a Texan) or rambling on about something that does not interest them. There are certain subjects that all of us could go on and on about if given half a chance. How do you keep from doing that in a letter?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pngBrian K Cooper

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• Sasha Royale

• DaveBj

• prophoss

I used to do 4 pages, both sides of 2 sheets, the end of page 4 is a hard stop for me. I also ramble on and on and ....

I am trying to cut back to 2 pages, both sides of 1 sheet. That also means that I have to be more concise in what I write.

I also like to switch inks, so writing a lot lets me use maybe 6 or more different inks.

There is also line density. How many lines per inch, or what is your line spacing. My line spacing is 12mm, so I get less text on a page than someone with a smaller line density.

As for rambling, I try to keep a single subject to about 1/2 page or less. Remember my 12mm line spacing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I suggest stopping after each paragraph and reading out loud to yourself.

Thank you. I have just sent off my first three letters to pen pals, I have an additional person who is sending me a first letter. I will resume proofreading out loud. I already notice I too have tendency to ramble with my pen (fingers too it seems). Yet, like now, I realize perhaps there may be one in the pen pal crew who is also a rambler. For the most part selected those who are around my age and hopefully they will try to understand. If not, they will not continue and I will have to search again for a pen pal. I just hope they all can decipher my fancy handwriting. I have been told there is great difficulty with those who do not write easily or decipher with diligence.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I don't worry too much about it. At first, the relationship is developing. You are learning about each other. Then it settles down. Today I'm mailing out everything from a single page letter to an 8-page monster. It depends what I have to talk about. The person getting the 8-page monster has been writing to me about novel writing.

When I write about my life, it's a little boring: I live in small town North Dakota and, because of my job, it's hard to get out this time of year, so I haven't been out of my small town in 2 months.

And, we all recognize rambling. I suspect some people skim over my rambling rather than read it, and I know I do the same to their rambling!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I am more at ease.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

My letters are usually 4 to 6 pages long (2 or 3 pages both sides). Most of my fountain pen friends do about the same. With two of my pen friends it is really an ongoing conversation, great fun. It might help to think about threads which can tie letters together and be ongoing. It could be regarding books, an occupation, something relating to commonalities and differences between two peoples lives.

I have about 20 people I write to regularly. My suggestion is to start out slow, get to know each other. Once you have a feel for the other person you can expand your writing. You will discover what interests you about the other person and they will respond to you and your correspondence will grow from there.

When you tell him about yours, do you also ask about his ? Or does that interest you ?

Think about your verbal conversations. Do you inquire and discuss the other person's

ideas ? Of are you just sitting politely, until it is your turn to talk ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

All Kind of great things to think about. I really appreciate the help.

Brian

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pngBrian K Cooper

I don't worry too much about it. At first, the relationship is developing. You are learning about each other. Then it settles down. Today I'm mailing out everything from a single page letter to an 8-page monster. It depends what I have to talk about. The person getting the 8-page monster has been writing to me about novel writing.

Uh-oh! :D

My letters to regular correspondents run two to four pages, depending on how much there is to discuss. I don't think I ramble, but then rambling could be said to be in the eyes of the beholder. My InCoWriMo letters have been pretty much all the same, a personal introduction running bout a page and a half. Maybe a little more if there some things about the new correspondent that I know and can comment on.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 2 weeks later...

I am down to just one pen pal right now. :( Perhaps I am really boring. Anyway, my letters tend to vary between 5 and 8 pages. Of course it depends also on how big your sheets of paper are.

And I read every word that is sent to me, irrespective of whether it is a ramble or not!

I'd probably keep the first few letters to about 2 or 3 pages (1 1/2 double-sided pages). There are usually more things to say than you can fit in a letter, so you can either write smaller and fit more on a page, or save something for the next letter, or send more letters.

I try to limit comment on a particular topic to half a page... unless it's a particularly interesting topic for both sender and receiver.

(I suspect in most cases people agree to exchange letters because they have at least one common interest, so extensive writing on that topic will not probably be considered rambling by either party.)

Having said that, most of my letters are 4 to 6 pages long (2 to 3 double-sided pages), mainly to keep within the weight limits for overseas airmail! But I also insert various relevant or explanatory drawings/diagrams/illustrations in my letters, so that accounts for some of the space on the page too.

It's better to write shorter letters more often than longer letters infrequently. Which reminds me, I must finish the letter I started at Christmas time...

electricpowerman

Victoria, Australia

Letter-writing and postcard participant - See profile details and send me a message if interested.

Just be yourself.

Great advice, Charles!

It depends. I have a letter I need to finish up either tonight or tomorrow. It is going to Thailand. Right now I have almost two full pages (A4), answering his four ish. But his handwriting is larger than mine and there is more space in between lines as well. We have been writing for a while (since 2013) however. Topics have been anywhere from local politics there (which has been interesting for me to learn firsthand about how another country works) to family, to pens and inks among other things. This one he just told me about a new pen he just picked up (a Lamy 2000).

So being yourself is a terrific way to go.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

"Be yourself" is great advice. I have three writing friends, all are artists and all are different and interesting. One pen pal who is having major painter's block sent me an email that said "my next letter reflects my state of mind". His letter the next day contained three blank sheets. Very nice paper though.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• 1 month later...

I don't think it really matters. You'll get to know one another and figure it all out. I tend to ramble too. :-). If you'd like another pen pal, please pm me.

What I like to do is to write a list of bullet topics to write about prior to writing the letter. It stops me fromrambling and stay on the topics. I always add a picture, food recipe or a cut out article from a news paper. It makes the letter more interesting and fun.

Before penning a return letter I usually read over what was sent to me. Sometimes weeks (even months) may go by before I'm able to answer a letter.

A brief point-form list of topics I'd like to cover helps me organize my thoughts & prevents me from rambling on.

Then, I just write.

If I have more than one pen in rotation (usually it's 2 or 3), each pen will write some portion of the letter.

Not always, but often I'll refer to what nib, ink or paper I'm using.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

What I like to do is to write a list of bullet topics to write about prior to writing the letter. It stops me fromrambling and stay on the topics. I always add a picture, food recipe or a cut out article from a news paper. It makes the letter more interesting and fun.

I sometimes do the same, using the envelope of the letter to which I am replying.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I don't mind rambling letters. I like letters I can respond to. Early letters with a new correspondent can feel a bit strained. I do not like the "introductory" letter (e.g. My name is Josephine Blenkinsopp-Smythe, I am 21 again, married, 3 children, and work in publishing. I like needlecraft, One Foot in the Grave, and Catherine Cookson novels..... ) where it seems to just be about the letterwriter themselves with nothing really to respond to other than perhaps, "that's interesting..."

However, each penfriend is different, they have different writing styles and their letters may be short, medium or longer. I try to reply with the same amount of content.

From elsewhere, someone said

I absolutely will not use my money to write less than 3 pages. That would be a waste of money.

!