The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Hero 336 - Hooded Nib Detailed Review

heropens fountain pen review handwritten hero 336 cheap pen made in china fountain pen pen review hero

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:04

img_20150219_1711042.jpg   HERO - 336

Over the period of past 4-5 months i have started collecting Chinese Fountain pens which i will be reviewing one by one.

This review is about the pen which was recommended to me by Mr. Subramaniam of ASA Pens after i have collected lot of Chinese Fountain Pens from local market of Old Delhi (Nai Sadak & Sadar Bazaar). And I am surely not disappointed  at all.

Lets see what are the goods and not so goods about this HERO 336.

img_20150219_1703252.jpg   Hero 336    

Design & Built:

As far as design is concerned it is a decent, simple, sleek looking pen and you surely might see lot of iterations of the same in the market, thus there is nothing exciting about this pen. As far as i know it comes in four colors, black, navy blue, dark green & burgundy. It is made of plastic which is fairly finished.

img_20150219_1657292.jpg   Hero 336 - posing for camera

The cap is of yellow gold colored aluminum and the gold color of the clip is somewhat different from gold color of the cap. The clip is quite springy but yes it gives a bit screechy noise and feels a bit flimsy which in actual is not. The Clip has "Hero" engraved on it and the bottom of the cap i.e. center band displays the model no. and made in china marking.

img_20150219_1651272.jpg   Hero 336 - Cap

Also there is gold color metal part screwed at the bottom of barrel, which is purely aesthetic.

img_20150219_16522432.jpg   Hero 336 - Gold plated metal bottom screwed in to bottom of barrel

The construction quality is far above acceptable for such a low priced pen, actually it is well built for general everyday rough tough use. It easily takes few drops here and there.

The inside of cap has metal springy clips which actually tightens the grip around the section when pen cap is closed and it works pretty fine.

img_20150219_16492522.jpg   Hero 336 - Closeup of Nib and Cap 

For Further details like nib and balance and more images and my handwritten writing samples i request you to please go through my Blog

Edited by mehandiratta, 20 February 2015 - 11:10.

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

Sponsored Content

#2 GeneralSynopsis

GeneralSynopsis

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:25

Are you sure the cap is gold plated? The other Hero 300 series pens with yellow metal caps seem to have aluminium caps that are finished in that colour by other means (anodised?)

Edited by GeneralSynopsis, 20 February 2015 - 08:27.

--“Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.” 
― Giordano Bruno

#3 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:08

Are you sure the cap is gold plated? The other Hero 300 series pens with yellow metal caps seem to have aluminium caps that are finished in that colour by other means (anodised?)

let me correct that ... you are right they are yellow gold colored aluminium caps.

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#4 Hedgehogs4Me

Hedgehogs4Me

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:37

It looks like there's quite a bit of a gap between the nib and the hood (either that or the image scale is getting to me). Does that indicate at all that there's some springiness to the nib?

#5 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 18:12

It looks like there's quite a bit of a gap between the nib and the hood (either that or the image scale is getting to me). Does that indicate at all that there's some springiness to the nib?

THERE IS A VERY LITTLE GAP... ITS THE IMAGE SCALED UP WHICH IS U R ABLE TO SEE THAT... OTHERWISE ITS NEGLIGIBLE ....

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

#6 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 18:37

Thanks for posting this. I love your handwriting and the pen is something that might interest me.

#7 ANAND ROY

ANAND ROY

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 20:19

Hi,

Interesting thing about these pens is that they have stood the test of time and still function well

provided they are well taken care of.

Sharp contrasting images and well reviewed.

Regards

#8 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:19

Hi,

Interesting thing about these pens is that they have stood the test of time and still function well

provided they are well taken care of.

Sharp contrasting images and well reviewed.

Regards

Thank you ANAND

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heropens, fountain pen review, handwritten, hero 336, cheap pen, made in china, fountain pen, pen review, hero

Sponsored Content

|