Rollers That Use Fountain Pen Ink?

rochester21

Rosetta makes roller ball versions of some of their pens. I had one that allowed me to interchange the fountain pen nib and the roller ball tip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chthulhu

• feckless

• rochester21

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you don't mind looking like a big kid, I found the Crayola Creations rollerball to be a perfectly acceptable little pen, it is small but posts properly to give a decent size.

I did try eyedropper converting it but it leaked but it works well with international short cartridges.

There is also a matching fountain pen if your looking to have a matched pair :)

post-120265-0-08787800-1431757553_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have tried most of the pens mentioned. For me the smoothest ink flow is the Zebra R-301. The Noodler's was very dissappointing, the ink always ended up in the cap. But I have to say I see no reason you can't syringe fill the Pilot cartridges with any fountain pen ink and carry on with the Hi-Techpoint. Not sure why everyone over complicates with different cartridges, converters and eyedroppers when a syringe fill is so easy.

Refilling Pilot cartridges with other inks has worked fine for me as well. The R-301 is a nice, wet writer, but of the several ink-cartridge rollers I have, the best has been a KenPen Rotary Pen (possibly/probably made by Platinum), followed by the Kaweco Sport and the J. Herbin Refillable rollerball. The Zebra is right up there in writing quality, but esthetically it isn't really to my tastes.

The big drawback to ink-cartridge rollers is that the pocket that holds the ball wears out in a relatively short time. :-/

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Refilling Pilot cartridges with other inks has worked fine for me as well. The R-301 is a nice, wet writer, but of the several ink-cartridge rollers I have, the best has been a KenPen Rotary Pen (possibly/probably made by Platinum), followed by the Kaweco Sport and the J. Herbin Refillable rollerball. The Zebra is right up there in writing quality, but esthetically it isn't really to my tastes.

The big drawback to ink-cartridge rollers is that the pocket that holds the ball wears out in a relatively short time. :-/

I haven't seen a KenPen or a Newman Rotary Pen (they seemed identical) in decades. Are they still available anywhere?

I haven't seen a KenPen or a Newman Rotary Pen (they seemed identical) in decades. Are they still available anywhere?

I bought mine from speerbob on eBay about three years ago.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

This one works really well - http://imgur.com/gLO1JKM - and many of your favorite rollerballs can be refilled as well.

Could you give a step by step guide on how to do this?

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

I have to agree the Zebra is a weird looking and feeling pen, but it does flow, and the price is nice.

This one works really well - http://imgur.com/gLO1JKM - and many of your favorite rollerballs can be refilled as well.

Love it. I have always wanted to try this. Guessing needle nose, pull, fill and replace?

Edited by feckless

J Herbins ink roller is ok for about £4 however I wouldn't use it over a fountain pen.

It's a lovely little pen. Saved me last October when it happened to be the only item in my pen case that did not bleed a hole straight though the rubbish exam paper.

[[ For the record I'm not a school kid but a 42 year old who loves studying for the joy of knowledge ]]

I have a couple of Platinum Preppy eyedroppers that came with bottles of Noodler's ink. While they were originally set up with fountain pen nibs and feeds, they also came with rollerball heads on them. I have them set up that way, rather than with the nibs, because I was testing various black inks for specific criteria in sub-optimal conditions.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

While I like the size and feel of my Monteverde Mega Inkball pen, I wish that there was a larger (broad) ball size and that it were a wetter writer.

Love it. I have always wanted to try this. Guessing needle nose, pull, fill and replace?

So I tried it a couple of days ago on a uni-ball vision elite. The end came out in 3 pieces, first the tip, then the casing for the tip and then I pulled on the tube that remained and I was looking at an empty barrel. I refilled with Noodler's Polar Blue. The pen writes at least as well as a Vision elite maybe a little smoother. The only mess was because I overfilled the barrel. Stupid me you need to leave room to put the pieces back in.

Thanks to suchan271.

Edited by feckless

• 5 weeks later...

I have discovered Fountain Ball sold via Penshed in the UK. It writes well and is priced around £15. For me just on the slim side for everyday use, but well worth a look.

While I like the size and feel of my Monteverde Mega Inkball pen, I wish that there was a larger (broad) ball size and that it were a wetter writer.

I have a few Kaweco Sport Ink Rollers and I find them to be wet and smooth.

I give my thumbs up to the J Herbin rollerball. It's small, compact, nice thick plastic, nice sturdy clip, lovely click when you close it. Under a tenner.

• 1 month later...

So I tried it a couple of days ago on a uni-ball vision elite. The end came out in 3 pieces, first the tip, then the casing for the tip and then I pulled on the tube that remained and I was looking at an empty barrel. I refilled with Noodler's Polar Blue. The pen writes at least as well as a Vision elite maybe a little smoother. The only mess was because I overfilled the barrel. Stupid me you need to leave room to put the pieces back in.

Thanks to suchan271.

Hi! Apologies, I have been away for a spell. While the pliers no doubt get the job done try this vacuum method described here - https://goo.gl/gyZLdV - super fast, no waste and works great! I've posted a few comments further down on that web page that may help too under username "84rk1n".

Let me know how it works out :)

"Convenience will be the death of us all."