Rollers That Use Fountain Pen Ink?

rochester21

Hi, everybody! At some point i did use a Schneider roller/ballpoint that worked with standard ink cartridges. Unfortunately, after a while it got clogged and i couldn`t fix it. Are there any other affordable ballpoint-like pens that can be used with fountain pen ink?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chthulhu

• feckless

• rochester21

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noodler's included a "ball pen" that used liquid ink. I was modified into an eyedropper

pen. It was free, with my 4.5 ounce bottle of HOD. Maybe I will try it, someday. I am

not courageous concerning ED pens. I don't recall whether the pen was Pilot or Platinum.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The Kaweco Ice Sport and Classic Sport Ink Rollers are great IMHO. I tried the J. Herbin version but found it a little scratchy unlike the Kawecos which are smooth and wet.

I have the J Herbin roller and like it a lot more than I expected. It's very airtight, doesn't dry out and starts easily even if I haven't used it in weeks.

The Pilot HI-TECPOINT cartridge system pens are inexpensive, use Pilot cartridges, may accept a converter (I haven't tried one yet), and look like good candidates for eyedropper conversion. 0.5 and .07 mm tips.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

I`ve heard about it, but can it run with fountain pen ink? An ebay seller told me that these rollers use special ink, not the same as in pilot fountain pens.

I'm doubtful that there's anything special about the ink in the one I just received. It has no distinctive odor, and behaves like other water+dye inks. I will experiment, but not right away. I *like* the green ink that came with the pen, and don't want to just dump it. :-)

Mike Hungerford

If you're considering the pilot v5/v7 cartridge system, beware that they specifically say that their refills should not be used with a fountain pen which would suggest it's not just fountain pen ink. Also, see this blog post by Cult Pens who experimented with fountain pen ink in the pen: http://www.cultpens.com/news/product-news/q/date/2013/01/30/pilot-v5v7-cartridge-system-experiments

Personally, I have never had good luck with these types of pens and believe the correct technology has not yet been developed. I have purchased two Noodlers over the years, but they both leaked and were a nightmare. A couple of years ago at the DC pen show, I purchased a Monteverde OneTouch Engage in black carbon fiber. It looks beautiful but writes a very dry, unpleasant, faint line. After cleaning the pen thoroughly and working with different inks, including Aurora and Waterman blue, I finally gave up in frustration. I sent an e-mail to Monteverde but never received a response. It has been sitting unused in my pen chest ever since... I have happily stuck to FPs and ballpoints where I have had much better results.

For many rollerballs, with the use of a needle nose pliers, the back end can be taken off and the sponge refilled with ink. This works great on montblanc rollerball refills.

The next time you have a used-up refill, give it a try.

Best regards.

For many rollerballs, with the use of a needle nose pliers, the back end can be taken off and the sponge refilled with ink. This works great on montblanc rollerball refills.

The next time you have a used-up refill, give it a try.

Best regards.

In addition, old roller cartridges that have simply dried out from disuse can sometimes be rehydrated with filtered or distilled water. I have a Pentel Excalibur and an old Uni Pen both working again with this treatment.

Mike Hungerford

Ah, another person with problems with: Monteverdi and Noodler's Ink roller balls. Dang that Noodler's feels cheap.

Right now using a J.Herbin that I've turned into an eyedropper filler. Really small for me though :/

I can say from experience: don't buy Monteverde or Stipula. Customer service is horrid.

Never tried the Kaweco.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I have a Noodlers Nib Creaper RB; it's a piston fill. I've been using it for a couple of months now and like it for times when a RB is needed or easier to use. I've been impressed by how well the cap seals; it can sit around for a week or two and starts writing with no hesitation. Have no illusions about the build of the pen, it's pretty cheap plastic but no "worse" than a Preppy.

There aren't tip size options and it's very fine; that doesn't bother me but does affect the color of ink I put in it (nothing too pale). Also, keep it upright; stash it point down and you'll have a cap full of ink in pretty short order.

Mine was a freebie so the price was right. Amazon has the for just under $17 which seems a bit pricey but if it's what you want . . .

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• 1 month later...

The Noodler's Rollerball is/was made by Dollar in Pakistan, identical to my Dollar FP except for the RB tip. Very light and cheap-feeling, but solid little pens for the most part. I agree that it tends to be a very dry, fine writer; Diamine Salamander looks nearly tan from it, almost identical to J. Herbin Lie de Thé from my Herbin refillable roller.

The Kaweco Sport is also quite light in weight, but has a nicer feel to it, and mine writes a juicy medium line.

SeeksAdvice, what did you use to close the holes in your Herbin's barrel?

Mike Hungerford

I like the Visconti Eco Roller. It took a bit of time to find an ink that flowed consistently, but once identified, it has be a great pen to use.